BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2012 7:20 pm  #1

BBC Sherlock: The Great Detective's most faithful adaptation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 21, 2012 9:31 pm  #2

Re: BBC Sherlock: The Great Detective's most faithful adaptation

A very thorough and intelligent analysis of Sherlock and John as two parts of a whole. Strength in Unity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 11, 2012 12:59 am  #3

One word: Perfection<3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Look, I'm in shock, I have a blanket."
-- Sherlock

September 24, 2012 11:58 pm  #4

A good review that would have also fitted in the 'would you watch Sherlock without Benedict' - thread..

"Sherlock" is more than just Benedict Cumberbatch's show, but it would be nowhere near as compelling without his lead performance. The elements of Sherlock Holmes that tend to get buried underneath his cultural iconography come vividly alive in the actor's portrayal: his intelligence as a complex quality rather than a set of magic tricks; the alienation that comes with genius; the way that alienation can manifests itself in turning to drugs (in this case, nicotine and a never-named but assumed nod to Holmes' famous affinity for cocaine); the lack of any but the most transient intimacy; and of course the way in which all these characteristics connect organically to each other. On "Sherlock," Holmes' traits never feel as though they're items ticked off a list compiled from the Conan Doyle stories in Cumberbatch's hands. He does the near-impossible in allowing us to think of Sherlock Holmes as a real person -- and for that alone, Benedict Cumberbatch deserves a salute as the greatest Holmes that ever graced the screen.

September 25, 2012 12:24 am  #5

Hear, hear! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

January 16, 2013 2:58 pm  #6

It's a good review. Although, @ NW16XE - it's here here! ;)

January 16, 2013 3:38 pm  #7

This is what I call a good review

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 16, 2013 3:40 pm  #8

Great review. Loved the 'two halves of the same whole' part, too
And also this:
"Two conflicting narratives, from two divergent viewpoints are finally unified into a third, cohesive whole.  And as a direct consequence of this duality – bringing cohesion through contradiction, synthesising at least two contrary viewpoints – the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson seem to rise up and out of the pages and screens before us, we look into them, like 3D lenses, watching rounded, complex characters with lives and experiences as multifaceted as our own step into the world fully formed."
Nice way of putting it, I think

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 29, 2013 3:58 am  #9

I recommend to you to come for a site on which there are many articles on this question.

January 29, 2013 8:45 am  #10

Great review, I hadn't seen it before.

However I am quite sure it really is hear, hear.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear[/url]

Board footera