BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2018 9:48 pm  #1

God's Own Country

Just watched this on DVD and I am very moved and impressed. Such a beautiful, raw, and honest film. So much was conveyed with gestures and looks and so little with actual words. The landscape of Yorkshire is a character of in its own right, and the actors are excellent. 

And it was good to see a gay love story which basically is a love story. Full stop. For once they do not have suffer because they are gay but because of reasons that are just universal - loneliness, aged parents, illness, hard working conditions, inability to express feelings. 

Everything felt very real and convincing. I felt I could smell the animals and feel the wind on my face. Wonderful film. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 6, 2018 9:07 am  #2

Re: God's Own Country

That sounds interesting. Will add it to my list.

Last edited by gently69 (February 6, 2018 9:08 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 6, 2018 2:54 pm  #3

I was able to download this recently Susi, now just have to find time to watch it!
Glad to hear your positive review.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 24, 2019 11:12 am  #4

I saw this some time ago, but had somehow missed your review, Susi, and then we talked about it a bit in the another thread recently.  I agree with everything you say about the film.   I've mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of love stories, but this one was lovely and very nicely done.  I went into the film expecting it to be about homophobia, and like you, was delighted that it wasn't.   My only very, very mild objection was that the "love interest" (I'm sorry, I've forgotten their names) was just SO gorgeous and perfect - he just seemed too good to be true, and that made it feel a little more like fantasy than reality.  It just seemed too much that he was incredibly good looking, AND loved farming, AND had great ideas for taking the farm forward, and so on.  One aspect that I really loved about it was the gruff main characters devotion to the farm and the animals. I remember at the beginning he has a hangover, but seeing to the animals is a priorty.  I agree about the smells and the feels, I loved the way the countryside was filmed, sometimes beautiful, sometimes dreary, bleak, cold, etc.   And it was funny how that part of the world seems remote but is so close to civilisation - I loved the scene where you could see the town in the background. 

Board footera