BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2018 7:11 am  #1181

Re: Doctor Who

If anyone is interested, twitch.tv is screening old Doctor Who episodes on https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents.  And I do mean old.  We're on Patrick Troughton at the moment.  (Bit of trivia - the character of Jamie in the episode currently streaming was apparently Diana Gabaldon's inspiration for Jamie in Outlander!)

BBC iplayer has all the reboot episodes too.

June 25, 2018 8:01 pm  #1182

Somebody leaked 50 seconds of Jodie's first episode. Not spoilery at all but I couldn't help thinking of Jim in TAB when she went

"It's on the tip of my" - and pointed at her tongue

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

July 20, 2018 11:19 am  #1183

New trailer out now - looks really good!  Nice to see them reusing the old quarries again

September 16, 2018 10:49 am  #1184

Counting down to the new series now.  The first episode is on Sunday 7th October.  Yes, a Sunday!  I'm not sure I'm ready for that change after it being early Saturday evening since my childhood!  However, it was frustrating that the time kept being changed.  Maybe it will be more stable on a Sunday. 

September 16, 2018 11:20 am  #1185

I of course will be away, in London...
it's a hard life, somebody has to live it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 16, 2018 11:39 am  #1186

Have a wonderful time in London, BB!

I forgot to mention, there is a premiere in Sheffield, on the 24th.  You can apply for tickets for the red carpet event, with priority for locals:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/doctor_who_premiere_24sept18

September 16, 2018 11:43 am  #1187

If I could have fit that in with a return trip from London...would have been great.
You gonna travel over?
That's where my old VI form pal's from btw, Sheffield...wonder if she's Whovian?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 16, 2018 1:21 pm  #1188

I would love to, but I'll be at work, sadly!  And the free tickets are just for the red carpet, not for the premiere itself, and no guarantee even if you have a ticket (as they overbook them in case of people not turning up).  If I lived in Sheffield and had the day off, I'd go to the showing if I could (not sure how you get tickets for that).  But I was little bit disappointed with another of these special showings that I went to (the show itself was great, but the sound was terrible and it was freezing). 

October 9, 2018 8:49 pm  #1189

Did anyone watch it?  It did feel very different, but I think Jodie is going to be a lot of fun! (Although I suppose this is her regeneration episode - I'm not sure how she'll change).

Last edited by Liberty (October 9, 2018 8:50 pm)

October 10, 2018 4:28 pm  #1190

I recorded it on my PVR so I only got a chance to watch it this morning.
I liked some aspects of the episode but I don't think it was the best plot. I have preferred other aliens/creatures. But that's always the way it is for me, some episodes I like and some I don't.
But as for the new Doctor,I liked her pretty much right away and I agree that I think she'll be fun. I also really like her outfit at the end of the episode. I liked the supporting characters of the episode too and I wonder how long they will be sticking around. They seem like they might be the new companions, but I don't know if all of them will be there for the entire series.
I didn't get the ending of the episode since if they're out in space they shouldn't be able to survive, so we'll see how that is resolved. I like that they used what sounded like the original theme music (or part of it) during the closing credits.
I am looking forward to Phyllis Logan and Alan Cumming's episodes.

Last edited by Yitzock (October 10, 2018 4:28 pm)

Clueing for looks.

October 10, 2018 4:55 pm  #1191

Oh, me too! 

I think I was expecting Chris Chibnall's writing to be a bit more adult, but I didn't get that.   I thought it was quite dark and scary at times, but I've talked to other people who didn't find it that way.   I'm not as keen on the companions as I was about Bill in her first episode, but I think they'll grow on me.

October 10, 2018 10:43 pm  #1192

I didn't really expect anything in particular from the writing since I am not familiar with that person's previous work, but that's interesting that you mention that. We'll have to wait and see what the next episodes are like.

Clueing for looks.

October 14, 2018 6:56 am  #1193

Sorry guys, just back from my London hol and catching up...
Managed to see the opening episode, as my hosts abandoned me for the weekend!
I really enjoyed it.
In fact a girl I travelled up to Dundee with yesterday...she was sitting in front of me,  watching it on her netbook and I saw it again- by watching the reflection in the train wondow!
I really enjoyed it, thought it was very good.
Like Jodie.
The only people I miss so far are Mark and Steven!
Round two tonight.

October 15, 2018 3:17 pm  #1194

I watched the latest episode this morning. I thought it had some interesting elements and some humorous moments, but I kind of predicted how it was going to end (maybe it's because I'm an adult, so I've seen more shows than some younger kids and teenagers watching this episode, I don't know...). But even though I figured the episode was going where it was going, I thought that the scene at the end where the Doctor is reunited with the TARDIS was kind of sweet.
And I have to say, I'm liking the retro theme song a lot! I remember hating the new orchestration of the theme song when Peter Capaldi first came on the show in series 8 (though I haven't really seen any new episodes since series 8 started so I don't know if it was changed at all in his subsequent series), so I'm glad they've reverted to something more pleasant. 

Clueing for looks.

October 16, 2018 6:04 am  #1195

Didn't thnk the second episode quite matched the first on impact.
But I am enjoying the series.

October 22, 2018 6:40 am  #1196

I'm watching them on catch-up now, so a bit behind! 

October 22, 2018 6:46 am  #1197

Last night's episode was the best Dr Who I have ever seen.

October 22, 2018 6:30 pm  #1198

I loved the episode (best of Jodie's that we've seen so far), but had quite a few little quibbles.  One being that Rosa Parks didn't fit the description I've read of her.  It felt a bit "educational" and expositional at times (although I know I have to bear in mind that it's aimed at children who might not know the background detail!).  And the end speech didn't come off so well for me - I think maybe the writing rather than the delivery.  But I did find it an emotional episode and really warmed to all the companions.  There were some very funny parts too! 

October 22, 2018 6:56 pm  #1199

I don't really know what Rosa Parks was like, so I can't speak to that. I'll have to see what I can find out. It looks like Radio Times put out an article about her portrayal in the episode.

I did recognize Vinette Robinson (Sally Donovan) playing her, though.

But overall I thought it was the best of the series so far. Exciting, funny, and moving in the end. I like that they acknowledge the fact that time travel to the past, especially to certain times and places, might not go so well for certain people because of prejudices of the day.

Last edited by Yitzock (October 22, 2018 7:05 pm)

Clueing for looks.

October 22, 2018 7:22 pm  #1200

Well, I don't know if the description I've read of Rosa is accurate anyway! I'd read that she came across as quiet and shy, and I didn't really get that from the episode.  But it may have been that the writers did their research and what was shown was closer to the truth than what I've read.  Or it may be that this portrayal got the point across better - I did really like the portrayal. 

Board footera