BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2018 10:52 am  #1

Benedict to play Dominic Cummings in Brexit drama

Benedict Cumberbatch is to portray the mastermind of the Brexit campaign in a new Channel 4 drama about the EU referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/16/benedict-cumberbatch-to-play-vote-leave-dominic-cummings-channel-4-brexit-drama

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 16, 2018 10:57 am  #2

Re: Benedict to play Dominic Cummings in Brexit drama

Oh, this will be a hard one to watch, I suppose. Silly me but I think it will feel more difficult to see him in such a part than OD'ing on heroin and cocaine. Thank you for posting. This will be his next project, I suppose, if it is scheduled to air early next year. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2018 9:09 am  #3

Oh, wow, interesting. I wonder if it's "just a job" for him, or a political statement.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 17, 2018 10:00 am  #4

That´s why I probably won´t watch this. Not a Brexit fan myself, but I don´t like it if political statements are pushed down my throat in this manner.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 17, 2018 3:43 pm  #5

I don't have any strong opinions on Brexit either way, because I know too little of the consequences of it. But I don't see how taking a role that is in line with your political views (if that is what it is) can be considered pushing political statements down anyone's throats.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 17, 2018 4:15 pm  #6

I do, but am looking forward to this regardless!
And it ISN'T in-line with Benedict's views.
He was strongly a remainer, as all of us sensible hats were!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 17, 2018 4:26 pm  #7

I am quite interested on how they are going to deal with such recent and ongoing political events. I am sure Benedict will not be on board for any shoving down anyone's throats, though. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2018 4:27 pm  #8

Exactly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 17, 2018 6:25 pm  #9

besleybean wrote:

And it ISN'T in-line with Benedict's views.
He was strongly a remainer, as all of us sensible hats were!

Well, that´s exactly it. He will portray the person from the opposite political spectrum.
No matter how humanely and professionally he will portray that person, the doubt of possible political bias still remains.
Also, Brexit is not yet a reality and maybe it won´t ever be.
So why make this movie now, when the result of Brexit is not yet known? What is the objective? 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 17, 2018 6:28 pm  #10

As far as I'm concerned the gallows are built and I just await our fate...we never even voted for it in Scotland and they didn't in London, either!
It's the big topic of the age in thispart of the world, highly relevant and topical...and it is a drama!

May 17, 2018 7:24 pm  #11

Oh, wow, so he is playing a character that stands for the opposite of what he believes himself? That is awesome! I can't think of a better way to learn to see the perspective of those you disagree with. 

Team Hudders!

May 17, 2018 7:26 pm  #12

Quite so.

June 24, 2018 4:07 pm  #13

June 24, 2018 4:14 pm  #14

Warned?
Can't wait to see it and yes, you're right...great cast.

June 24, 2018 4:19 pm  #15

Looking forward to it!

July 4, 2018 9:54 am  #16

Interesting change of his usual image.

July 4, 2018 10:05 am  #17

And apparetly his recent cap outing was NOT because of a shaved head.
Amazingly it was actually a fashion choice...not quite sure what fashion where or when, but that's our Benedict for you!

July 4, 2018 11:32 am  #18

Oh, yes, I remember he used to have a whole Tumblr blog dedicated to his fashion choices: What are you wearing, Benedict? But that was before he got himself a stylist. However, sometimes there are fallbacks to the old days. I also had the idea that Christopher might have played hairdresser with his Dad. 

July 4, 2018 12:14 pm  #19

Good thinking!

July 13, 2018 6:52 pm  #20

Some more photos of benedict in his Dominic Cummings look. Interesting transformation:

Board footera