BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2018 8:06 pm  #8121

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I don't think there was a change of heart.  I think they took the friendship path right from the beginning (while acknowledging how shippable they were). 

I feel sorry for the people who were so invested too.  I hope they were OK after S4.  I'm hoping that maybe some of them got into the last series of Doctor Who (with its gay main character - a lovely role model for young people!). 

May 1, 2018 8:15 pm  #8122

There are enough adaptations which go down the friendship route and BBC Sherlock is remarkably different. If there had been no romantic elements, Martin probably would never have made that "gayest show in TV history". As for stressing (IMHO) John's relationship at the cost of the "Sherlock and John Show" I would like to quote Jeremy Brett:

"The character of Mary Morstan was removed from the stories in which she originally features: nothing ought to get in between Holmes and Watson. She would have got in the way. Watson was more in love with Holmes - in a pure sense - than he could have been with a woman."

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2018 8:18 pm  #8123

Anyhow, I'm with Martin(see his quote in the othert thread):
I don't like the tail wagging the dog.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 2, 2018 8:32 am  #8124

That´s a bit out of context, isn´t it? In fact, he said:

"There's a certain aspect that some fans are going to run with the ball and make their own thing out of your show – which is completely fair enough, as long as we all acknowledge that that is what is happening. I think when you get into a slightly tail-wagging-the-dog scenario, that gets boring for me."

The quote you made out of it sounds as if he treated the audience like his handlers, which is not the case.

Anyway, I´m really glad for that short movie and wish them all the luck and success. If big BBC echelons are not willing to fulfill fan´s expectations, somebody else will do it - which is fair and square.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 2, 2018 7:48 pm  #8125

And of course people are free to watch every series they choose to.
I remain solidly a BBC Sherlock fan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 17, 2018 11:09 am  #8126

Not bad, not bad at all!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 17, 2018 1:30 pm  #8127

About time! 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2018 5:34 pm  #8128

Aww

May 17, 2018 7:25 pm  #8129

That is great. :D

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 23, 2018 10:55 am  #8130

May 23, 2018 10:57 am  #8131

I watched it and it is a lovely little film. Hopefully only the beginning. 

June 5, 2018 8:23 am  #8132

An interesting article (summary of a podcast, I think) concerning TJLC, fandom and the creators. It seems this is only part one so I am looking forward to future parts!

[url=​https://slate.com/culture/2018/06/the-johnlock-conspiracy-sherlock-fans-disagree-with-the-shows-creators-about-holmes-and-watsons-relationship.html]Who Gets To Decide if a Fictional Character is Gay?[/url]

(I had to open the link in Explorer for it to work, because in Chrome, the "Accept"-button didn't work).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

June 5, 2018 12:14 pm  #8133

I read that yesterday.  Very interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 5, 2018 12:30 pm  #8134

For me it does not work either in Opera nor in Chrome. No idea why. 

June 5, 2018 1:34 pm  #8135

SusiGo wrote:

For me it does not work either in Opera nor in Chrome. No idea why. 

Try Internet Explorer. I never use Explorer, but had to resort to it for this one. 

Team Hudders!

June 5, 2018 1:39 pm  #8136

Thank you, but I use a Mac, so no Internet Explorer. Maybe I will find a way or it pops up somewhere else. 

June 5, 2018 2:18 pm  #8137

Not about the article but something I have been looking for and now stumbled upon by chance. This gets never old and the funny thing is that the text mentions exactly the things people have been going on about for years. They even quote Oscar Wilde:

Last edited by SusiGo (June 5, 2018 2:18 pm)

June 5, 2018 3:30 pm  #8138

It doesn't work in Firefox either.  How strange!  If it's any help, I don't think there's much in the article that we don't already know and it kind of stops short, but does link to a much longer and more detailed podcast at http://traffic.megaphone.fm/SLT1234528517.mp3 .  Hopefully that link will work even if people can't get through to the article? 

June 5, 2018 7:12 pm  #8139

I've listened to the podcast now, and thought it was very good!  It seemed to me to be balanced and I like the ending.  I also came across another link which seems to work in Firefox so might be worth a try!  It doesn't have the full article but does have the podcast:
http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/decoder_ring/2018/06/decoder_ring_explores_how_a_conspiracy_theory_about_a_gay_sherlock_holmes.html

June 6, 2018 6:17 am  #8140

I think there is something wrong with my link. If you go to slate.com and search for "fictional character gay", it's the first link in the search results.

But, yeah, there wasn't anything new so far. It seems mostly to be an introduction to TJLC to those new. But it seemed to be part 1 of a series of podcasts about this, so I am very much looking forward to the upcoming ones.

Team Hudders!

Board footera