BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2018 7:20 am  #1

Win breakfast with Benedict and the Sherlock cast at Speedy’s

Support Red Nose Day USA and enter this contest at Omaze to win a fabulous breakfast in London!
https://www.omaze.com/experiences/benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock-london?

YOU AND A FRIEND WILL:

Hang out with Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Gatiss, Andrew Scott, Louise Brealey and Steven Moffat over breakfast (served by Una Stubbs!) at Speedy’s Café
Join Louise Brealey for a private Sherlock tour around London and see locations from the show
Enjoy a VIP tour of The Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221b Baker Street
Be flown out to London and put up at The Sherlock Holmes Hotel

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 11, 2018 6:05 pm  #2

Re: Win breakfast with Benedict and the Sherlock cast at Speedy’s

Love this. I already donated. I woman can dream ... 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 11, 2018 6:28 pm  #3

Will donate as soon as I get home!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 12, 2018 6:31 pm  #4

Did you read the rules and regs? "Winners must not be residents of Belgium, Canada, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, North Korea, Singapore, Sudan, Syria or Thailand." WTF?

May 12, 2018 7:57 pm  #5

Probably based on some legal reasons I do not know about. Does not sound political to me. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 12, 2018 8:16 pm  #6

Yes, I suspect contractual problems...as they say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 13, 2018 11:29 am  #7

I don't see any common political point between these countries either, but I'd still like to know... And I don't think it's fair to hide such an exclusion so well - have any of you read the "small print" before donating? I don't know how popular Sherlock is in Syria and Thailand, but I'd expect quite a few fans in Canda, Italy and Ireland...

Is there any way for us to find out how much will have been donated by how many people? That would allow to judge current fan interest pretty well (which is probably the main reason for the campaign...)

May 13, 2018 11:45 am  #8

Excuse me?
Thye main purpose is to raise funds for a good cause.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 14, 2018 4:36 am  #9

Kittyhawk wrote:

Did you read the rules and regs? "Winners must not be residents of Belgium, Canada, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, North Korea, Singapore, Sudan, Syria or Thailand." WTF?

I’ve read somewhere these limitations are due to legal reasons. Something about the laws of these countries regarding lottery/gambling/betting.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 14, 2018 7:29 am  #10

besleybean wrote:

Excuse me?
Thye main purpose is to raise funds for a good cause.

Indeed. 

May 14, 2018 8:59 am  #11

I probably won´t be donating, but I like their campaign:

"The best breakfast of our lives! ... Egggs and shit."
Hilarious!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 14, 2018 1:54 pm  #12

Adorable goofball.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 14, 2018 3:22 pm  #13

Certainly would be the best breakfast one could have!

May 15, 2018 5:23 pm  #14

Wish I could go!

May 15, 2018 8:57 pm  #15

Same here, but alas, I am from one of the excluded countries! It's a cool way to raise money for charity, so I hope it does well.

Clueing for looks.

May 15, 2018 9:03 pm  #16

Wow, this sounds simply amazing! Does anyone know when the date of the event will be?

Apparently you buy yourself a higher chance to win if you donate more... up to 5000! Wish I had so much to spend.

Last edited by Rache (May 15, 2018 10:09 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

May 18, 2018 10:02 am  #17

Yitzock wrote:

Same here, but alas, I am from one of the excluded countries! It's a cool way to raise money for charity, so I hope it does well.

Do you happen to know anything about the laws governing such prize draws in Canada? Any idea why Canada might be excluded?

May 18, 2018 11:15 am  #18

Rache wrote:

Wow, this sounds simply amazing! Does anyone know when the date of the event will be?

Apparently you buy yourself a higher chance to win if you donate more... up to 5000! Wish I had so much to spend.

As far as I know, there is no fixed date. I imagine they have to check with the winner and will probably offer some dates from which to choose, depending on the availability of the Sherlock team. 

Btw, I found some information on Belgian law: Die belgische Gesetzgebung verbietet die Organisation reiner Glücksspiele; es ist notwendig, dass der Ablauf immer mindestens eine Komponente einer Fertigkeit enthält. (Translation: Belgian law forbids the organisation of games of pure luck. It is necessary that proceedings include at least one skill.) In short, you cannot participate in a game which demands nothing but a donation or even less. I suppose in the other excluded countries the legal situation might be similar. So, no discrimination or any other evil intrigues, just legal issues. Still a pity for the fans from the those countries. 

May 18, 2018 11:53 am  #19

I really need to go make my donation.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 18, 2018 6:48 pm  #20

Kittyhawk wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

Do you happen to know anything about the laws governing such prize draws in Canada? Any idea why Canada might be excluded?

No, I don't know anything about that that might make Canada ineligible. It could have to do with the contracts of the people involved, or the charity itself (maybe it's only allowed to do certain things in certain countries).

Clueing for looks.

Board footera