BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2018 12:31 pm  #281

Re: Still unexplained secrets?

Liberty wrote:

"It's got me thinking, though, that if it was real life, beating a corpse is perhaps quite an awful thing to do, depending on your personal morality around those things.   We do have a certain amount of respect for the departed, usually, and it could be very distressing for relatives to know that their loved one's body was treated that way.  Of course, Sherlock was doing it for the cause of good, even though there's an uncomfortable parallel with Culverton!

Given that Moftiss splattered corpses all over the German countryside and planned on throwing them into the Irish Sea or Atlantic (hopefully not having them land on land) - which was another impossibility in another episode -, I don't think beating one is worth getting upset about. (I'm still upset about the "freshness" dialogue, though...)

I suppose somebody sometime must have done experiments on postmortem bruising, and I don't find them any more problematic than having medical students doing autopsies in anatomy classes. I see absolutely no parallel with Culverton who killed people for his amusement.

But of course the whole "respect for the dead" thing is why Sherlock having human body parts in his refrigerator is another constant impossibility...

(I'm beginning to feel like I'm in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe...)

Last edited by Kittyhawk (March 27, 2018 12:35 pm)

March 27, 2018 1:28 pm  #282

I feel a bit lucky in this regard. I'm able to handwave all this away as "TV". I don't expect Sherlock to be real or scientifically true. Rule of Cool outweighs realism, and I'm ok with that. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 27, 2018 4:11 pm  #283

Oh, it doesn't upset me!  And maybe it wasn't any more acceptable when ACD wrote it.  I think it's a really fun introduction to the character, and obviously so did Moftiss, as they used it again in TAB.   It was only that it occurred to me that it's one of the many, many things that would be different if it was real life.  (Although the really disturbing thing is that Culverton's real life counterpart went even further in real life!  Well, apart from murder, as far as we know). 

Anyway, the point it's written as a kind of fantasy, and I think we happily accept that, until something pushes just a little bit too far for some people.  I do admit there are bits that annoy me a little.  I don't really like the ambulance taking x minutes to arrive, but I accept that it makes for a good deduction and a good story.   Funnily enough, I think that because TFP goes further than the other episodes I actually accept it more easily, because it's so obviously fantasy.  I can just sit back and enjoy the ride!

March 27, 2018 4:48 pm  #284

Exactly what I did in the cinema and I loved it...apparently the rest of the audience did, too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 27, 2018 8:18 pm  #285

Yeah, that's what I do too. I sit back and enjoy the ride, wherever they may take me. Makes it much more enjoyable, for me at least.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 28, 2018 12:58 pm  #286

Liberty wrote:

...  Funnily enough, I think that because TFP goes further than the other episodes I actually accept it more easily, because it's so obviously fantasy.  I can just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Basically the same here. I liked TFP more than I thought I would. Because it's so crazy that there's obviously no point in trying to make "normal sense" of it. Ignoring the plot and just watching it scene by scene works for me - especially when the wonderful Sian Brooke is in the scene...

(And of course there's always the question of what you compare it with: I recently rediscovered my DVD of Highlander: The Source and by comparison TFP is absolutely fabulous!)

Last edited by Kittyhawk (March 28, 2018 12:58 pm)

March 28, 2018 4:09 pm  #287

Glad to hear it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 29, 2018 9:19 am  #288

Well, in order to truly understand this comparison you would have had to try watching The Source... (I didn't, I just listened while knitting, and I have a friend who's even more of a Highlander fan than I and who also finds it completely unwatcheable. She's not a knitter...)

Back on topic: A few people have said that TFP can only be a hallucination of Sherlock's. In one way I agree that that's the only way of making "reality-compatible" sense of it. But the problem is that if TFP didn't happen, then TLD didn't happen either, because there was no woman to alert Sherlock to Culverton Smith's crimes...

March 29, 2018 9:26 am  #289

True!  Eurus features in all the episodes and I think that draws TFP back into the "real world", such as it is. And the ending seems to be real, but needs TFP to happen (Eurus and Sherlock's family are involved, clearing up the flat, etc.).

March 29, 2018 7:38 pm  #290

Kittyhawk wrote:

Back on topic: A few people have said that TFP can only be a hallucination of Sherlock's. In one way I agree that that's the only way of making "reality-compatible" sense of it. But the problem is that if TFP didn't happen, then TLD didn't happen either, because there was no woman to alert Sherlock to Culverton Smith's crimes...

TLD was quite hallucinatory too... 

But on the other hand - the woman to alert Sherlock could be real and then she could feature in Sherlock´s hallucination in TFP anyway - why not? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 29, 2018 7:40 pm  #291

Liberty wrote:

True!  Eurus features in all the episodes and I think that draws TFP back into the "real world", such as it is. And the ending seems to be real, but needs TFP to happen (Eurus and Sherlock's family are involved, clearing up the flat, etc.).

Well, if an explosion earlier in TFP was a hallucination, clearing up the flat at the end of the episode would be a part of hallucination too, of course....

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 29, 2018 7:50 pm  #292

But if you remove the ending, there's no resolution and the whole thing seems a bit pointless! 

I think the ending is real, which means the preceding parts are real too.

March 29, 2018 8:01 pm  #293

Liberty wrote:

But if you remove the ending, there's no resolution and the whole thing seems a bit pointless! 

Well, the explosion at Baker Street and the drone was pointless (it didn´t even singe the carpet, lol), Mycroft´s pirate disguise was pointless (he could come to the island officially and nothing in the episode´s action would change because of it), Moriarty´s appearance was pointless (train sounds, really?) etc. etc. Would it be such a surprise that episode with so many pointless things in it would be pointless in its entirety? Does "insane wish-fulfillment" need to have a point anyway?

April 28, 2018 6:12 pm  #294

This is another unexplained thing for me:

Too much history between us, John. Old scores; resentments.
(Mycroft in TRF)

What history, actually? What the hell was he talking about? This has never been explained and it cannot be connected to Eurus because neither Sherlock nor John knew about her at that point. We were made to expect a big reveal about Mycroft and Sherlock which never happened. So far, that is. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 28, 2018 6:24 pm  #295

Yes, I would like to know more about this as well!

Team Hudders!

April 28, 2018 7:18 pm  #296

I bet it was something silly. Like Sherlock eating Mycroft´s cucumber sandwiches out of spite when Mycroft wasn´t looking. 

April 28, 2018 8:13 pm  #297

It's a while since I've watched, so I don't remember exactly, but isn't Mycroft starting to plan to get rid of Moriarty?  He is secretly working in collaboration with Sherlock?  I can't remember exactly when this kicks in, but I do think it's possible he was trying to mislead John at this point - he's trying to get John to take care of Sherlock, but also maybe already trying to deceive him.

However, I do think there are resentments evident all the way through, regardless of Eurus.   There's clearly something going on TAB, when Sherlock imagines himself desparately trying to impress Mycroft.   I think it's probably something to do with Mycroft being older and more clever (or at least, Sherlock perceiving him as such).   (We don't see the resentment on Mycroft's side so much, but if it's there, I bet it's about Sherlock being the favoured son).

April 28, 2018 8:17 pm  #298

Yeah, it possibly is all on Mycroft's part.
But remember he has devoted his life to doing the best by his sister, yet protecting his parents from the truth and monitoring his brother(all at the same time)...yet all he gets is being shouted out by Mummy.
The Parents clearly worry bout Sherlock all the time and demand Mycroft keeps an eye on him...yet he seems to get little thanks for doing this.
Plus poor Mycroft has to put up with Sherlock snarking at him all the time, even though Mycroft does deeply care about his brother.

April 28, 2018 8:24 pm  #299

Liberty wrote:

(We don't see the resentment on Mycroft's side so much, but if it's there, I bet it's about Sherlock being the favoured son).

Would Mycroft be so petty? Sherlock has nothing to do with the fact he´s being favoured after all - it´s his parents fault.

April 28, 2018 8:25 pm  #300

I just think a lot of it is stress on Mycroft's part...he's had a hell of a life.

Board footera