BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2015 2:14 pm  #1

Crossovers

While working my way through the Round Table Discussion (40 pages, phew) I noticed that quite a lot of people seem to dislike crossovers.

I admit that I rather like them, on two conditions: Firstly, that I know all the fandoms involved (which is making things difficult after 6 years without tv reception). Secondly, that the characters from the different shows meet in a logical way. (I've always thought Highlander/X-Files a natural combination).

There's something I'd desperately like to see (or read), but I can't see it happening: Elementary's Dr. Joan Watson ("The tea's on the table, you can get it whenever you want") with "our" Sherlock ("Hand me the phone that's in the pocket of the jacket I'm wearing"). (Does anybody feel inspired?)

I'd also love to read a brilliantly written crossover with NCIS (the original) - Sherlock and Gibbs and Caithleen/Ziva, Sherlock sharing lab space with Abby, oh my, the possibilities (this combination exists, but most of the stories are unfinished and the one I read didn't correspond to my definition of brilliantly written.)

I suppose a "natural" crossover would be a much younger Mrs. Hudson in Miami Vice (the original series with Don Johnson). Though I don't feel a burning desire to read such a story (but I wouldn't refuse it either). Or A.G.R.A. in Mission Impossible...

Otherwise I can't think of any combinations that make a lot of sense to me - I suppose there weren't enough British shows on French (or even German) TV . The only one I remember is Dempsey and Makepeace...

Last edited by Kittyhawk (June 13, 2015 4:31 pm)

June 13, 2015 3:06 pm  #2

Re: Crossovers

I've never liked crossovers. Not at all. That's one of the reasons I never got into the Kingdom Hearts game series, for instance. I'm probably too square, because it doesn't sit well with me combining two worlds that doesn't belong together.

However, I'm all for it being done. I love the crazy-creative side of fanfics.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 17, 2015 10:53 am  #3

The only crossover I've ever read had STID's Khan suddenly appearing in the Heart of Gold ship from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and meeting Martin Freeman's Arthur Dent (slash). Very silly and quite funny, but unfortunately I can't remember what is was called.

Oh, I found it, it's called "An Improbability"
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1243156/chapters/2553997
And it has a Khan/Lestrade sequel(!)

Last edited by ukaunz (June 17, 2015 12:06 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 17, 2015 11:09 am  #4

I like:

Walking Dead/Sherlock aka Sherlock with zombies, not the actual characters from TWD
Sherlock/Doctor Who (with the actual Doctor and TARDIS)
Sherlock/Supernatural

Ones I'd like to see:
Sherlock and Kingsman would work well, I think. Mycroft is defintiely a Kingsman.
Sherlock & Dexter (I think Sherlock would let him go)
Sherlock vs Hannibal, with Hannibal actually being Magnussen's brother.
Sherlock/LoTR with Sherlock in Middle Earth as an elf and having a relationship with Bilbo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 17, 2015 11:54 am  #5

Vhanja wrote:

....I'm probably too square, because it doesn't sit well with me combining two worlds that doesn't belong together.

Then I am too - as I said before, I want the characters to meet "naturally". As in, any Chicago-based cop show could easily be combined with ER. And Sherlock (or any other character from the show) could easily find himself in any London-based hospital show (if there is such a thing).

July 5, 2015 1:22 pm  #6

Of course, as an alternative to meeting "naturally", they could also meet "supernaturally", like in GolenUsagi's "Boredom Untold" (http://archiveofourown.org/works/651164).

(You'll need to remember the movie "Labyrinth" (with David Bowie) to enjoy the story.)

July 5, 2015 7:28 pm  #7

I wrote many crossovers of Sherlock ( in french , sorry ) with The Mentalist ( 1), Doctor Who (1 ) and Zorro '( 1). Yes I am fool...

July 6, 2015 3:57 pm  #8

Under which name (and published where)? I just might remember enough of The Mentalist to enjoy them...

April 18, 2016 11:24 am  #9

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Ones I'd like to see:
Sherlock and Kingsman would work well, I think. Mycroft is defintiely a Kingsman.

That's what I thought, too, when I saw the movie (late, as usual). Explains the umbrella... Unfortunately, in the highest-rating (by Kudos) crossover fic, Mycroft isn't I think the perfect Kingslock fic still awaits being written...

Another example of what I call "natural crossover": ACD's Sherlock Holmes and Downton Abbey in PlaidAdder's The Adventure of Downton Abbey http://archiveofourown.org/works/705683

April 18, 2016 5:18 pm  #10

Here's one crossover category I would love to see written: a crossover between BBC Sherlock and Grenada Sherlock!

Last edited by kgreen20 (April 18, 2016 5:19 pm)

March 19, 2018 12:08 pm  #11

Here's another "natural" crossover that corresponds exactly to what I like: Little Help from My Friends by Achray (https://archiveofourown.org/works/525757/chapters/930703)

It's a Sherlock/Prime Suspect crossover. Knowing Prime Suspect is not necessary for enjoying the story, having seen Helen Mirren is probably helpful. After a little detour it becomes Johnlock, but first there's a wonderfully snarky face-off between Jane Tennison and Sherlock.

March 25, 2018 6:48 pm  #12

Would those of you who dislike crossovers like this one?  This one, a crossover between the BBC series and the Granada series, was written for a fanfic exchange at my request a few years ago, by our administrator.

"Two Holmes are Better than One"

https://archiveofourown.org/works/8246029

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 25, 2018 6:51 pm)

March 26, 2018 9:23 am  #13

Actually, that's the type of crossover that doesn't make too much sense to me. Because whereas I have nothing against time travel, per se, I don't think that "there always is a Sherlock and a Watson in 221b Baker Street".

My ideal crossovers are strictly "reality-compatible" and combine characters from the same time or place (travelling allowed, of course) which just happen to be written for different shows/movies/books.

March 26, 2018 1:51 pm  #14

As I wrote earlier in this thread, crossovers aren't for me. I dislike the concept itself, I'm too narrowminded for it. 

However, I have read exactly one crossover fic that I actually enjoyed. A crossover between Sherlock and Whisky. Tango. Foxtrot. As you mention, Kittyhawk, it works for me because the crossover makes sense, both shows/movies happen in the same universe. An extra element of fun was that Sherlock was attracted to the Martin Freeman's character in WTF because of his resemblance to John.

I didn't bother to link the story as it's pure smut (and later ends up as Johnlock) and, if I recall correctly, that isn't your thing, Kittyhawk. Apologize if I misremembered, I might have mixed you up with someone else.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 27, 2018 12:21 pm  #15

There's 8 explicit Sherlock/WTF crossovers - none of which I find particularly appealing going by the description, you got that right. But as I'm not the only one reading this thread, somebody else might find it helpful if you told us the author and/or title of the story you liked.

March 27, 2018 1:36 pm  #16

Ok, lemme see if I can find it... wow, I didn't know there were that many Sherlock/WTF-crossovers! I might actually read some of them...

Anyway, here it is: One Night in Karachi by unknownsister

(And bonus - a follow-up story from Itsalfine that ends in Johnlock: The Stand-in).

Team Hudders!

September 28, 2018 12:19 pm  #17

There's "natural" crossovers, and recently I've discovered "necessary crossovers." Or rather, I've discovered the need for a crossover which I'm unable to find (so if anybody feels inspired...): What was Mycroft doing while an alien spaceship ploughed up the Old Royal Naval College in Thor: The Dark World? Not much detecting to do, so no need for Sherlock and John, but Mycroft definitely should have been involved in some way, maybe Lestrade as well...

August 17, 2020 12:08 pm  #18

The forum seems dead, but in case someone stumbled on this post after all: anyone know some well-crafted crossovers with The Good Place, Dirk Gently or Fargo (the TV show)? :D

August 17, 2020 2:39 pm  #19

I haven't watched those, so unfortunately I don't know of any crossovers with them.

Clueing for looks.

August 17, 2020 5:39 pm  #20

I watched Fargo, but the only Crossovers I am aware of in fan fic are Sherlock/Who...may have heard of Sherlock/Star Trek...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera