BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2017 11:39 am  #1161

Re: Doctor Who

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 18, 2017 1:59 pm  #1162

I love it!

July 23, 2017 4:24 pm  #1163

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 6, 2017 9:38 am  #1164

Christmas trailer!

August 6, 2017 1:04 pm  #1165

Oh thanks for posting! Might just have to watch this, I love Mark in the trailer!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

November 23, 2017 8:25 am  #1166

There are some preview screenings of the Christmas episode showing in selected venues in the North of England.   In fact, not only the Doctor Who episode, but also The League of Gentlemen, so a Mark Gatiss double bill (if you can get tickets for both)!  Apparently the very end of the episode will be missed out, so still some surprise left for Christmas day.

Tickets are free and allocated by a random draw, with 75% going to local postcodes.  This is a local show for local people! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/bbc_north_preview_screening_tour

December 27, 2017 9:33 pm  #1167

Oh, the feels!  The last of Peter Capaldi, Steven Moffat, Pearl Mackie (and some other goodbyes from other cast members I won't mention because spoilers), and possibly the last from Mark Gatiss and Murray Gold.   It really felt like a goodbye episode.  And they played the "Breaking the Wall" music from my favourite episode. It feels like the end of an era, and an episode for fans, by fans (Peter, Steven and Mark all being uber-fans!).  I heard in an interview that Mark owns a Third Doctor jacket and it was hanging in the Tardis in Peter's final scene! 

I love that Jodie Whittaker is keeping her accent!  (I wish David Tennant had!). 

Last edited by Liberty (December 27, 2017 9:34 pm)

December 30, 2017 9:31 am  #1168

And here's the very jacket!  With a happy photographer in the mirror.   (from Mark's twitter.com/Markgatiss.  Sorry, I don't know how to link to the individual tweet or how to make the picture smaller!).

December 30, 2017 11:43 am  #1169

Love Mark being all fanboy-ish!
Can't comment on the special since I haven't seen any of Peter's eps (yet!).

Last edited by ewige (December 30, 2017 2:39 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 30, 2017 1:34 pm  #1170

Yes, and I love that the part he played in this episode was kind of a fanboy part (you'll see what I mean when you finally get there!).  I'll be interested to know what you think when you get to Peter's era.  He sometimes seems to embody aspects of previous doctors, but particularly those from the first run (such as the Jon Pertwee hair in the picture above!).

December 30, 2017 2:37 pm  #1171

I'll report back when I've seen some of his eps! But don't hold your breath :D
It took me about half a year to get over David's regeneration and I've seen Matt's just a few days ago, so you can do the math

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 30, 2017 9:28 pm  #1172

I started watching series 8 when it started but soon fell behind. It didn't help that I stopped getting the channel Doctor Who airs on here in Canada, so I have to wait for it to appear on one of my on-demand services. I remember at the time finding him too grumpy, but I don't know if that's a fair reflection of how he was over time.

As for the photo though, I love it! They both look really happy.

Clueing for looks.

December 31, 2017 10:30 am  #1173

He is rather grumpy at the beginning!  I know a lot of people didn't take to him right away because of that (although I kind of liked it!).  But I'd say it's not really representative of how he is over time.  He does develop quite a bit, I think.   And Peter is such a fantastic actor.  I don't suppose they'll ever cast anyone older than him now, so there's unlikely to ever be such a big fan playing the role!   Jodie is too young to have been a fan of the original episodes as a child (whereas David Bradley is too old!).  I believe Chris Chibnall is a fan though, so it's still going to be fan-written - it will be interesting to see where he takes it. 

December 31, 2017 11:58 am  #1174

I'll admit that I haven't seen S10 yet (and I'm not really keen on watching it...), so I only watched the last five minutes of the Christmas Special because I'm really looking forward to Chris Chibnall's DW with Jodie. And I love her first couple of seconds. The look on her face when she says "Oh, brilliant!" - I'm definitely detecting some Tenth Doctor-vibes there. Can't wait to see more of her. As far as I'm concerned, things can only get better.

Last edited by SolarSystem (December 31, 2017 6:06 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 31, 2017 5:37 pm  #1175

I eventually managed to catch up on the Christmas special today.
I absolutely loved it.
A master class from Steven.
I am so going to miss him.  Once again I am cross about how people do him down and do not appreciate his talent.  We are lucky to have him.
Mark was great in this episode too and nice to see Rachel, completing the Sherlockian family presence.
I thought Peter was really good, but Jodie made a good impact, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 27, 2018 8:45 am  #1176

I know somebody else here is an Alan Cumming fan, but I can't remember who!  I've been meaning to post this - terribly exciting if we get to see him in Doctor Who!  Apparently he was previously asked to play the Doctor (wouldn't he have been fantastic?), but didn't want to spend 8 months of the year in Cardiff!
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-07/alan-cumming-was-asked-to-play-the-doctor-but-there-was-one-crucial-requirement-that-put-him-off/

Anyway, it looks like he will be in Doctor Who as King James I. 
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a851810/doctor-who-series-11-alan-cumming-playing-king-james-i/
I'm not sure if they mean James VI and I, or James I of Scotland.  I suspect the former, as he's more famous.  Really looking forward to it!

Last edited by Liberty (March 27, 2018 9:11 am)

March 28, 2018 6:17 am  #1177

Sounds good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 28, 2018 2:22 pm  #1178

Funny that this should come up now. For the past few days I've been watching videos of Alan Cumming in Cabaret.

Clueing for looks.

March 28, 2018 4:05 pm  #1179

Ooh, I'd like to see that!

March 29, 2018 8:06 pm  #1180

Unfortunately he's probably not going to do the show again (he's played the Emcee three times over the years, the last one in 2014), so we're unlikely to have the chance to see him live, but there's plenty of videos on YouTube. One production was filmed for TV years ago.

Last edited by Yitzock (March 29, 2018 8:07 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera