BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2012 12:23 pm  #1

Sherlock Hound- Japanese anime from 1980s

In this anime TV series almost all the characters are anthropomorphised dogs. There were 26 episodes between November 1984 and May 1985. The famous Japanese anime director Hayao Miyazaki directed the first 6 and the other 20 were directed by Kyosuke Mikuriya. I am going to try and find the episodes on YouTube (apparently they are all there but not in the correct order) and try & embed them here or at least post the links.

For further information regarding the series:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Hound

Last edited by Davina (September 14, 2012 12:24 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 16, 2013 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock Hound- Japanese anime from 1980s

You know what as a kid i was a big fan of this anime ! 

I'm not a kid anymore but... i have the DVDs 

Last edited by TicTacToe (April 1, 2013 3:43 pm)

March 21, 2013 3:00 am  #3

Funnily enough, with the bump of this thread, I just recently came across this as well..... and only because I was doing a google image search for a pic from the Hound episode!  ;P  ;D   Hayao worked on this?  Really?  Wow... as much as I absolutely loved a lot of the stuff he did with Studio Ghibli, I hadn't looked up much of his other work.  Different!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 5, 2013 9:35 am  #4

Russell wrote:

Hayao worked on this? Really? Wow... as much as I absolutely loved a lot of the stuff he did with Studio Ghibli, I hadn't looked up much of his other work. Different!

As a kid when i watched Sherlock Hound i didn't know anything about Hayao Miyazaki. It was many years later when i discovered Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away that i realised he worked on Sherlock Hound.

Last edited by TicTacToe (May 5, 2013 9:36 am)

May 22, 2013 8:33 pm  #5

Same here. I was a very huge fan of that anime in the 80's, and realised only much later Miyazaki had worked on this (just like that other 80's anime: Lupin III) I'm in love with all his movies.

I have all the dvds and the opening song still gives me goosebumps. One of the best 80's anime openings! It reminds me so much of my childhood and this one was a favourite of mine.

Moriarty was quite hilarious in this, though, and his two hand men (hand dogs more like) were a bit dumb. lol. Also, Sherlock was less cold.And mrs hudson was a beautiful young lady

You can see Moriarty here, at the beginning (he's the "lavender" one), well, it's in french, but it gives you an idea   Check his face at 2.50, priceless! :-D reminds me of Totoro

Last edited by Punch me in the face (May 22, 2013 8:38 pm)

Just like old times...

May 23, 2013 8:15 pm  #6

Punch me in the face wrote:

Moriarty was quite hilarious in this, though, and his two hand men (hand dogs more like) were a bit dumb. lol. Also, Sherlock was less cold.And mrs hudson was a beautiful young lady

You can see Moriarty here, at the beginning (he's the "lavender" one), well, it's in french, but it gives you an idea   Check his face at 2.50, priceless! :-D reminds me of Totoro

In this anime Moriarty and his crew were my favorite characters. My favorite episode was when they kidnaped Mrs Hudson and then fell in love with her lol

May 23, 2013 8:22 pm  #7

Punch me in the face wrote:

well, it's in french

In french, well no problemo.

Sinon je viens juste de capter mais tu es francais(e). Moi qui galere en anglais pour une fois j'aurais pu repondre dans la langue de Moliere ! lol

Last edited by TicTacToe (May 23, 2013 8:23 pm)

May 23, 2013 8:32 pm  #8

Yeah, haven't watched the anime for many years but I do remember that episode, it was great. Awww... childhood...

(et je commençais à croire que j'étais la seule française dans le coin ;) )

Just like old times...

Board footera