BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2014 8:32 pm  #161

Re: Find the original & post other nods to the canon (merged topic)

well.. I've tried to ensure I won't be redundant in my comments but it's more than possible I will be..  sorry.. I may try to go last epi to first epi maybe not all at one go
HLV
1) when Sherlock freezes in HLV, it's reminiscent of the moment in Silver Blaze when he realizes his reliance on press reports have led him in the wrong direction                                                       
2)  Molly's tirade is of course almost  word for word Watson's tirade against Sherlock                      
3) brother mine is a canon phrase between Mycroft and Sherlock i believe
Sof3
1) the Jones that will get the credit if Lestrade leaves is a nod to Athelney Jones another DI in canon
2) his wedding speech, so many phrases straight out of the books
3) Lestrade's theory of the killer coming through a vent reminds me of the Speckled Band
TEH
1) the deducing of the train-aficionado's hat(does he have a name?) in Greek Interpreter the brothers do a deducing of a stranger on the street
2) als the fact that it was a hat deduction-- is that a reference to the hat in Blue Carbuncle?
3) Mr. Windibank and his daughter in 221B is a nod to the Case of Idenity..  who Sherlock thought should be horsewhipped... 

Last edited by LongtimeSherlockian (April 4, 2014 8:44 pm)

January 13, 2015 12:48 pm  #162

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/eb0e156f55878fcd6f89dcf91ae89811/tumblr_o0eyyzrphE1spvwrzo2_1280.gif

October 3, 2017 5:04 pm  #163

I assume this thread is silent after Series 3 because everyone had read up to prep for S4?
But I couldn't resist mentioning how much I loved the idea,in TLD, of John's cane being witness to Culverton Smith's confession at Sherlock's 'deathbed', in a direct parallel to the original where Dr Watson hides behind Holmes' bed while Smith unwittingly confesses. It wasn't the most original idea in the world, but I loved how it was presented.

October 3, 2017 5:11 pm  #164

Nice nod to the opening episode of BBC Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 3, 2017 5:13 pm  #165

I hadn't thought of it that way, Barker!  Nice point!

Board footera