BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2017 5:52 pm  #61

Re: The Child in Time

Another late night for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 18, 2017 7:36 pm  #62

So, according to this interview, the movie will be "harrowing".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/18/benedict-cumberbatch-tried-protect-family-harrowing-new-role/

It´s as I feared. Not sure if I could manage to watch it.... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 18, 2017 9:15 pm  #63

uh maybe not the best film to watch before going to sleep then.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 19, 2017 1:35 pm  #64

I am sure that it will be harrowing. But I have read the book and without giving anything important away I can tell you this: it will not be just harrowing and sad and dark. And I am very sure that Benedict will be wonderful in the part. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 21, 2017 7:36 pm  #65

----------

September 21, 2017 7:37 pm  #66

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 22, 2017 11:42 am  #67

Aaaaw!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 24, 2017 9:44 pm  #68

What a moving experience. I will surely watch it again soon so just some impressions. Benedict seems really close to himself in this one which makes it a special experience. Wearing his own clothes, no superhero stuff, no mad genius, just a man on the brink of an abyss who still manages to go on with his life. Great work from all the other cast, especially Kelly McDonald. A subtle and quiet film. Very moving.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 25, 2017 6:36 am  #69

I can but agree, Susi.
Beautiful.
Very emotional, particularly the suicide scene for me.
Well done all involved.

September 25, 2017 9:47 am  #70

besleybean wrote:

Very emotional, particularly the suicide scene for me..

Damn, I had hoped to avoid spoilers. I will avoid this thread until I've watched the movie. But glad you guys liked it, I'm looking forward to it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 25, 2017 2:15 pm  #71

I couldn't stop my tears after watching this, it was really a beautiful and poetic experience.

Ben is amazing at his craft, and that only added to the pain of watching this. Ouchie. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 25, 2017 5:29 pm  #72

It was such a wonderful film, Ben and Kelly Macdonald were marvelous. The scene were he was convinced that this girl in that school is his daughter was so moving, but I had my biggest cry near the end when he used that walkie-talkie to talk to her.
I'm not a mother, so I think for the mothers here it must have been even worse.

But I was a bit confused by that storyline with his best friend, the ending was so horrible.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-09-25/the-child-in-time-viewers-praise-benedict-cumberbatchs-performance-but-were-left-confused-by-the-plot/

On a lighter note,: Ben was so lovely and cute  That character is probably the closest to the real him that we have seen until now. No different accent, no different haircolour, didn't he even wear his own clothes?

----------

September 25, 2017 8:35 pm  #73

I saw the movie tonight, and I have mixed feelings about it. I see that everyone else in this thread loved it, so I will put my head on the block.

***This review will contain HUGE spoilers for the entire movie, so please stop reading here if you haven't watched it.***

I struggled with this movie from the very beginning. I often criticize Hollywood movies for being so formulatic and conventional, but after watching this movie, I am starting to see some of the benefits of such movies.

The movie starts right in the middle of the disappearing, with absolutely no introduction to the characters, the world or where we are. In addition, the timeline also jumped here and there quite early on. Meaning that instead of really getting into the feel of the horrible things that were happening on screen, my brain was busy being confused as to what was happening, where in the timeline we were and where the story was at.

How can I feel something for these characters when I don't know anything about them yet? I haven't had time to to settle in to the story before everything happens.

Also, I felt the story had some moments where I was thinking: "Show, not tell!" For instance, when the wife said to Ben's character that he's been drinking too much. I went - what? We've never seen him drink too much at all. Compared that to TLD, where we get a short scene, only a few seconds, of John drinking alone in a dark hallway. That said alot, and had much more impact than this scene. Especially since we never see anything concerning this issue - we never see him start drinking too much, we never see him struggle with alcohol, we never see him decide to stop drinking. The only time we see him with alcohol, it's normal, problem-free consumption in social settings. 

I also felt that the movie was jumping from scene to scene, and cutting out huge chunks that I would be interested in seeing. We hardly get to see the married couple together at all, so we know nothing about their relationship. Suddenly I blink and they have been away from each other for almost a year. What? Did they divorce? Separate? Did they agree to this? Was she the one who left? Why? Did she blame him? Was it because of his (non-existent to us) drinking problem? 

It's just too little and too short, all of it. That is basically my feeling through the first half of the movie The timeline was all over the place, with no introductions to anyone or anything, so I had to spend way too my brainpower trying to understand who was who and where we were to really get into much of it.

Well, rant over. I know it might sound as if I hated the movie, which I really didn't. I started to get emotionally interested in the movie about the time when Ben's character visited Charles in the woods. And from there on out there were so many heartbreaking scenes - harrowing was certainly a fitting word! The scenes in the school when he thought he had found Kate was absolutely heart shattering. It was, to me, the most painful scene in the entire movie. 

The Christmas tree, the walkie-talkie, his speech in the funeral - all of it so painful, and so well done. Ben was amazing in this movie. He is a fantastic actor. My hubbie didn't watch the movie (I knew it wouldn't be his cup of tea), but he just saw the very first seconds with Ben walking out of the taxi and into his home. He knew nothing of the story, but said: "Now, that's a broken man. I don't know what's happened, but that's a broken man." 

As you guys have mentioned, I did love to see Ben in this role. To see him more as himself, as a regular man. It was a nice change.

And then, to my final complaint, the ending. At first with her phone call, I thought she had a check-up because she was pregnant. I did NOT expect her giving birth! So she went nine months without telling him? I then remembered she had gone away for the last, few months. So she deliberately didn't want him to know? He just had to run straight to the labour? That's cruel! It really didn't sit well with me.

I think the main problem with the movie boils down to it being based on a book. I think a lot of the problems I have with the movie comes from the "movie to book"-thing. It was the same with Harry Potter. Not comparing the books, of course, as they are very different. But the HP movies are just the skeleton of the story, because that's the only way you can fit those books into a two hour movie. I felt the same problem here. I think we lost a lot that would have fleshed out the story, the characters, the narration and the motivations of the characters a lot more. 

But, yes, a strong movie with a strong cast, and some heartbreaking scenes. But with it's faults. That's how I felt about it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 25, 2017 10:09 pm  #74

*dashes in*

Get it before they take it down!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGvZOAdSnC4&sns=fb

*dashes out*

Last edited by tonnaree (September 25, 2017 10:10 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 26, 2017 6:36 am  #75

Yes, all my fandom groups have been madly scrambling to the link!

October 3, 2017 10:46 am  #76

October 3, 2017 10:49 am  #77

Nice.

October 3, 2017 2:08 pm  #78

Still have to watch this.  I really want to but I'm just not sure how much sadness I can handle right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 3, 2017 6:04 pm  #79

Well, let me put it like this - there is as much about hope and love as about loss and sadness. It did not leave me feeling bad at all (although I had quite a bad time while watching for other reasons it so you can give it a try). 

October 3, 2017 6:06 pm  #80

I would agree, Susi.
A bit like with Third Star for me.
Desperately sad, but uplifting at the same time.

Board footera