BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2017 7:06 pm  #181

Re: TST Headscratchers

Not really...cos there didn't seem to be any connection.
Just funny that her outward journey was as a fugitive and her return one was with her husband...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 26, 2017 7:06 pm  #182

Hm, wow there really is a strong resemblance between John and this man. I had to blink for a second seeing those pics directly next to each other.
Not sure if there is supposed to be a deeper meaning to it. Maybe just a gimmick for us to find. Btw: It really is amazing how you can still find such things when watching multiple times. I never saw this guy, but until we get the German dub, I won't buy the DVDs and I have seenthe new episodes "only" 1-3 times. :D

Last edited by Rache (March 26, 2017 7:06 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

August 28, 2017 8:33 pm  #183

Not a headscratcher but a nice observation - there is a "veiled bride" in Tbilisi:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/164721971676/ebaeschnbliah-a-bride-a-ghost-or-just

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2017 7:16 am  #184

SusiGo wrote:

Not a headscratcher but a nice observation - there is a "veiled bride" in Tbilisi:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/164721971676/ebaeschnbliah-a-bride-a-ghost-or-just

This is intetesting.

And it made me stumble over your post about women's perfume mentioned on the show. Your article ends with TAB. Is there no perfume mentioned in S4?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 29, 2017 11:35 am  #185

I do not think so, Schmiezi, I checked all the episodes. The perfume references stop after TAB. 

Here is another headscratcher: What becomes of the Ajay flash drive, the one containing Mary's whole dark past, the one she wanted to protect John from because he would stop loving her?

The drive, i.e. Ajay's copy, travels to Tbilisi, is hidden in the bust, sold to England, stolen by Sherlock, stolen by Mary, travels all over the world to Morocco - and then, nothing. It is never mentioned again. Its contents do not matter. I find it really difficult to understand that they placed so much importance on Mary's past in HLV and then, in S4, the only thing we get is the Tbilisi incident in which she was a victim. There was nothing about it that could have stopped John from loving her. Can anyone explain this?

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 29, 2017 11:44 am  #186

I imagine that she had it herself after she nicked it from Sherlock. After she was killed, the content wasn't really that relevant anymore.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 29, 2017 12:20 pm  #187

SusiGo wrote:

I find it really difficult to understand that they placed so much importance on Mary's past in HLV and then, in S4, the only thing we get is the Tbilisi incident in which she was a victim. There was nothing about it that could have stopped John from loving her. Can anyone explain this?

No.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 29, 2017 3:29 pm  #188

Because there wasn't time to show us the rest?
The really freelance stuff?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 18, 2017 7:51 pm  #189

From a Radio Times interview with Amanda:

"There was a really lovely dinner scene with John and Mary when they have this really lovely talk about how scared she is about being pregnant or having a baby and that they’re drifting apart. It’s a lovely three-page dinner scene that we did and we loved it and it never made it, I think because it was running about four hours and they had to get it down to an hour and a half. They’d just come back off the plane – or Mary was just about to go off on her journey – and she was just saying that she’s flying out of control and she doesn’t feel like she’s grounded because she’s trying to tell him who she really is and she can’t and he’s drifting off and they’re not really communicating. It’s a really lovely scene but it never made it and I know why because sometimes you don’t need that – less is more. But we loved doing it."

Ahem. Four hours? I wonder what else has been left out. Maybe all the things that would explain the headscratchers? And I wonder why they kept the play-acting plane scene with Mary which did nothing at all for the plot. 

Source: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-12-18/amanda-abbington-reveals-details-of-lovely-deleted-sherlock-scene/

Last edited by SusiGo (December 18, 2017 7:55 pm)

December 18, 2017 8:12 pm  #190

I remember that scene from setlock!   It would have been nice to have seen it, maybe as part of the extras.  I'd also like to have seen the rest of the two and a half hours that were cut!  Although I presume there was reason for cutting those scenes.  I think the plane scene was quite short, if I remember it correctly (it's a while since I've watched - amazing to think that we're coming up to a year since it aired!) so perhaps cutting it wouldn't have made room for the restaurant scene.   And I suspect that maybe it would be pulling away from Sherlock too much. 

December 18, 2017 8:13 pm  #191

I agree but I still wonder why they did the plane scene at all. And the wheelchair moment. It did nothing for the plot, it was not funny, and the focus on Mary's escape pulled away from Sherlock as well. 

December 18, 2017 8:57 pm  #192

I suppose it was part of the story though (Mary is running away in disguise, and we find out Sherlock and John have been tracking her all along, so it was good to think of in retrospect), and was quite brief. I'm sure Mark said in an interview something about Amanda doing different accents, so it was fun to give her that scene - a bit of an "in joke".  But I agree that it wasn't terribly funny!  I suppose it did tie in to the disguise theme, with Eurus, that came up in the next episode.

December 18, 2017 10:07 pm  #193

True. Although, honestly, I think Sian's disguises and accents were much better. 

December 20, 2017 6:46 pm  #194

Yeah, Amanda used to do that American accent on set for fun, and Mark loved it so much that he wrote a scene for it.

I would love to see that dinner scene! And whatever else they had filmed. Perhaps they are saving them for some anniversary release down the line?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera