BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2017 6:41 am  #8041

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I agree about being careful about reading Victorian prose with modern eyes.  I suppose my grandparents generation (sadly departed) were from the Victorian era and they used "dear" a lot more than we do.  It can be used romantically, but I wouldn't say it had romantic connotations, as it is/was used so often non-romantically (and is used in formal letters!).

"My dear boy" I think depends on the context.  In the Oliver "quote", it's verging on patronising.  In a loving moment, I think it could be romantic.  But if, for instance, pointing out Watson's lack of awareness or teaching him something, or even just conversational, then it wouldn't come across that way.  We probably need to try to find the quotes in context and see what we think!  I'm off to work now, but if I have time later I'll have a look. 

Last edited by Liberty (July 21, 2017 6:46 am)

July 21, 2017 9:05 am  #8042

It was this collection, among others, that gave me the idea. There are a quite a lot of "dears" in there:

http://rictornorton.co.uk/dearboy.htm

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 21, 2017 7:03 pm  #8043

A nice collection! 

Anyway, here's a very quick search through the main stories for "dear boy".  Very superficial and I'm sure I must have missed something out, but maybe it does give an idea of context.  Warning: slight spoilers for some of the stories!

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
A father talking about his son:  And now I must fly to my dear boy to apologise to him for the wrong which I have done him.

The Sign of the Four
Holmes to Watson: Pshaw, my dear boy! it was simplicity itself.

The Return of Sherlock Holmes
The Adventure of the Priory School
A school principal about a missing child: “At last we have a clue!” he cried. “Thank heaven! at last we are on the dear boy’s track! ...”

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The “Gloria Scott”

Father to son again: Such, in a few words, my dear boy, is the history of this terrible business in which I was involved.

The Greek Interpreter
 Mycroft to Sherlock
“Royal Artillery, I fancy,” said Sherlock.
“And a widower.”
“But with a child.”
“Children, my dear boy, children.”

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
The Adventure of the Three Gables

A woman about her ex:
He was a dear boy, Douglas, but it so chanced that he could not fit into my plans.

The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire
This was a small matter, however, compared with her conduct to her own child, a dear boy just under one year of age.

I can't find the other Holmes/Watson one, although I haven't searched very thoroughly! 

July 24, 2017 9:05 am  #8044

No takers?  I get the impression that it's often used in a paternal way, and can be affectionate, patronising, etc., but I'm not really getting the impression of it being romantic.  Of course there are differences here, in that some are using it to address the person, and some when talking about the person.  And we don't have enough examples to draw any firm conclusions!  

August 15, 2017 10:02 pm  #8045

I want to put this here:

http://nemoholmes.tumblr.com/post/164216946376/i-want-to-know-your-interpretation-and-explanation

Because even though I honestly do not think Moffat ever considered Johnlock an option, I am still slighly confused by this scene. It's one of those moments where I go: "Well, if you didn't think Johnlock - why did you put it in?!"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 15, 2017 10:11 pm  #8046

Same here. I have no explanation for this except Johnlock. The same hieß btw for the tarmac scene aka Casablanca aka Bodyguard. 😉

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 15, 2017 10:17 pm  #8047

To be honest, when I first saw the tarmac scene, I was hugely disappointed. I am well aware about the trope (and maybe reality) of English men being stuck-up and emotinally repressed - but, come on. If you honestly don't think you ever will see your best friend again, you hug! You don't give him a usesless handshake! That was the most dissatisfactory scene of the entire series for me.

I remember J.K. Rowling disagreeing with the American director Christopher Columbus about the early Harry Potter-movies. He wanted Harry and Ron to hug, and JKR said that English boys wouldn't hug unless their lives were at stake. 

Well, here lives are at stake (or so they think, at least) - and they are still not hugging.

Last edited by Vhanja (August 15, 2017 10:20 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

August 16, 2017 5:49 am  #8048

Two drunk guys who love each other platonically, but the alcohol allows them to admit they're not afraid to show their affection for each other.
John stumbles, or rather falls into Sherlock's knee after all.
Possibly his addled brain may have thought it could receive a sharp response form Mr nofeelings...

I thought you were all talking about Moriarty's tarmac scene...is it tarmac, I can't remember?
Absolutely full on gay there, no question.
This is the marked contrast between the interaction between two best friends in HLV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 16, 2017 6:37 am  #8049

I'm not sure how much of that scene is scripted and how much Martin and Benedict were left to do their stuff!   But I have to say, it doesn't look sexual to me.  I've seen drunk male platonic friends being much more touchy feely than that.  I honestly just don't see sexual tension.   It's kind of funny and cute because they are normally so buttoned up. 

Now, I could be reading it wrong, and even though we know Moftiss didn't intend Johnlock, this scene could have been intended to show a sort of semi-flirting due to the alcohol.  But to be honest, I don't even see that.  There's kind of an innocence about it too, as if they get reduced to being more childlike.  However, I'll watch again when I get a chance and let you know!

I don't think it would have been out of place for Sherlock and John to hug on the tarmac.  They'd kind of done it before at the wedding - well, John had, although Sherlock had been a bit stiff (no pun intended).  This scene was more somber and lacked the exuberance of the wedding.  And also, I wonder if they were both trying to avoid being set off (crying, etc.).  I think it's fine because we have the progression in their relationship in S4!   In the end, John and Sherlock is the "love story" of the whole series.  Does it matter that it's not romantic/sexual?

August 16, 2017 6:44 am  #8050

SusiGo wrote:

Same here. I have no explanation for this except Johnlock. The same hieß btw for the tarmac scene aka Casablanca aka Bodyguard. 😉

I feel like that about many scenes. Sherlock leaving the wedding for example.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 16, 2017 6:57 am  #8051

Moftiss have openly said that Sherlock leaving the wedding is a reference to the end of The Green Death Doctor Who series.  (Where the Doctor's companion gets engaged, and he leaves the party alone). 

I think it also fits well with the theme of friendship in that episode in particular, and the theme of Sherlock choosing to be alone. 

August 16, 2017 7:22 am  #8052

Liberty wrote:

Moftiss have openly said that Sherlock leaving the wedding is a reference to the end of The Green Death Doctor Who series.  (Where the Doctor's companion gets engaged, and he leaves the party alone). 

I think it also fits well with the theme of friendship in that episode in particular, and the theme of Sherlock choosing to be alone. 

I think it fits the topic of unrequited love. :-)

Last edited by Schmiezi (August 16, 2017 10:10 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 16, 2017 11:19 am  #8053

I agree that alcohol in general loosens up inhibitions and there are a lot of people who get more "touchy-feely" when drunk - me included. So I have no trouble seeing that.

However, considering that this is a written show, I see no point of that scene in a non-Johnlock context.

Team Hudders!

August 16, 2017 6:29 pm  #8054

Just an average stag night, I would have thought.
Stephen Thompson wrote the scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 16, 2017 6:46 pm  #8055

For me the tarmac scene is the one which makes least sense without Johnlock. The stag night and the end of TSoT are close followers but the tarmac is so heartbreaking and intense that for me it cannot be explained by friendship alone, be it as deep as it may. 
And if you look closely you can see that Sherlock/Benedict is starting to say something else than "Sherlock is actually a girl's name" and then changes his mind. The man knows how to act after all. 

August 16, 2017 6:48 pm  #8056

Well yes, that is one of the big unanswered questions...what was Sherlock really going to say?
Personally I think it was just 'Thank you.'

August 16, 2017 6:57 pm  #8057

SusiGo wrote:

For me the tarmac scene is the one which makes least sense without Johnlock. The stag night and the end of TSoT are close followers but the tarmac is so heartbreaking and intense that for me it cannot be explained by friendship alone, be it as deep as it may. 
And if you look closely you can see that Sherlock/Benedict is starting to say something else than "Sherlock is actually a girl's name" and then changes his mind. The man knows how to act after all. 

He does indeed.

August 16, 2017 6:58 pm  #8058

If you compare his mouths movements with other scenes you can see quite clearly that it looks as if he was starting a sentence with "I". And I am absolutely sure that it was not "I thank you". Why? 
Because he wanted to say something and changed his mind because it would have been too painful for him or John or both. He chose to make John laugh instead. I cannot see John laughing about a "thank you". And why should he thank him at that point? If anyone had to say thank you, it would have been John, not Sherlock. He was the one who got the wife and the life because Sherlock sacrificed himself. 

August 16, 2017 7:01 pm  #8059

I like the idea of "thank you" (for saving him, for everything, etc.). 

I think they are more than ordinary friends, and they do love each other.  And I think it's particularly poignant because Sherlock (and we) know that he may be going off to his death, but John doesn't (and Sherlock is being sure not to let him know).   And it's a direct result of Sherlock trying to protect John and Mary. 

The drunk scene - I think the "point" is really just that it's cute and funny, and out of character for them.  It's nice to see two quite buttoned up people being so relaxed and "unbuttoned".   But then, I can't see the point of it in Johnlock context!  There are so many other things they could have done that would be more Johnlocky.

Last edited by Liberty (August 16, 2017 7:02 pm)

January 12, 2018 10:55 pm  #8060

http://shylockgnomes.tumblr.com/post/169631702701/shinka-the-thing-is-that-if-you-want-to-watch

Nice observations. And I would add of course Mary's "Neither of us was the first, you know". And possibly also Mrs Hudson's and Mycroft's warnings about the changes that are going to happen after the wedding. They keep equating and comparing John's relationship with Sherlock to his relationship with Mary which does not make sense if one is platonic and the other is romantic.

Board footera