BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2017 2:34 am  #1

Where did Sherlock live?

Where did Sherlock live before 221B? I don't think we're ever told where he was moving from or why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

And if I shed a tear I won't cage it, I won't fear love
And if I feel a rage I won't deny it, I won't fear love

January 12, 2017 3:12 am  #2

Re: Where did Sherlock live?

Montague Street. He had to move because of problems with the landlord.

Scroll down to the bottom of Sherlock's blog to see where he mentions it
http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/forum/page1

This also comes from The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual by Arthur Conan Doyle:

"When I first came up to London I had rooms in Montague Street, just round the corner from the British Museum..."

Last edited by Meretricious (January 12, 2017 3:12 am)

January 12, 2017 7:09 am  #3

Meretricious wrote:

Can't imagine why...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

August 11, 2017 3:52 pm  #4

I can only put it down to the genuine memory I have of being in there when I was 3. The memory has always remained with me and it's given me a curiosity of derelict places, getting to go where decay has taken over. Where imagination can take over.

vitalbrands

August 15, 2017 1:19 am  #5

ewige wrote:

Meretricious wrote:

Can't imagine why...

I guess it will remain an unsolved mystery 

Clueing for looks.

August 15, 2017 5:57 am  #6

Shooting walls, scratching tables etc?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 15, 2017 6:03 am  #7

Dangerous chemical experiments, most likely....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 15, 2017 6:56 pm  #8

Playing the violin at three in the morning?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2017 12:45 am  #9

How about all of the above? =)

August 30, 2017 3:32 pm  #10

Also there's 'proof' of Sherlock's former address in the BBC series when John finds Mary's DVD stabbed into the mantelpiece:

In case you're not good at reading upside down, the address on the envelope propped up against the wall reads: S. Holmes, 156 Montaguest, London.  Obviously "Montaguest" should be "Montague St".
Normally I would slap the production team for the sloppy typing but on this one occasion I'm convinced they did it deliberately as a sort of Easter Egg for observant viewers.  Sadly I was not an observant viewer - someone on Tumblr blogged it before I realised it was there!

Last edited by Ariane DeVere (August 30, 2017 3:39 pm)

August 31, 2017 1:42 pm  #11

Oh, well, you can't be first every time! I never realized there was a shot that showed anything with his previous address on it. Nice find! I'm sure "Montaguest" is a joke about Montague Street. Do you by any chance know how close it is to any London landmarks or to Baker Street?

Clueing for looks.

September 1, 2017 5:23 pm  #12

Montague Street (London WC1B)  is not far from the British Museum, and is right next to Russell Square Gardens where they filmed the meeting between John and Mike Stamford.  When my friend and Sherlock fanfic writer Mirith Griffin came over to London a year or so ago, we stayed at a gorgeous hotel in that road called The Montague on the Gardens, and spent ages gazing across the road and imagining Sherlock living in one of the opposite buildings!

Board footera