BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2017 9:50 pm  #1

Besleybean's re-watching of the whole show with pointers to S 4.

(For those of you who don't know, I have just been widowed. Hence the break in my reports. I wasn't planning on returning to the task so soon, but an opportunity arose tonight.)
As you can imagine, it was a bit odd returning to Sherlock at all tonight.
But then being confronted by 'The Empty Hearse' and with all the themes of guilt...
But anyway: to the job at hand.
I have to say that I didn't take many notes on this one, which I suppose could have been for all kinds of reasons.
I was kind of reminded of when I very first saw it, when I wasn't sure if I liked it all that much.
Anyhow...
The first note I have written is:  just how soon did people realise it wasn't the real explanation?!
I do like that Anderson is right in this one and shown in a more favourable light.
Greg refers to Sherlock as 'staying dead'. Of course in TFP we conclusively see that Moriarty is the one who really stays dead.
Mycroft says 'it is just you and me' to Sherlock in the torture scene. Well of course by S 4 we learn there is in fact another sibling! 
(Actually that torture scene is nothing compared to the one in TST).
Of course we see Mycroft in disguise for the first time, here.  He's refined it by TFP.
The shots of John on the tube, reminded me of him on the bus in TLD.
John experiences memories of the recently departed Sherlock, just as he later does with Mary.
Mycroft insists he doesn't like undercover work, yet he is prepared to do it again in TFP, for the sake of his sister
Mrs H complaining that John didn't even call her once, reminded me of John moaning that Sherlock never answers his phone, in TFP.
Mycroft saying he and John meet up every Friday for chips, of course parallels Sherlock and disguised Eurus going out for chips in TLD.
(What I was really struck by on this viewing, which I never noticed in any of the times I've seen it before:  Sherlock noticeably braces himself to go and face John for the first time.)
WE have comments like : 'like a face from the past', which really reminded me of Moriarty's video appearances in TFP.
Seeing John in distress is painful, but to be honest is not half as bad as his distress over Mary in TST.
Sherlock warns John not to do something he might regret. This is complete contrast to TLD, where Sherlock accepts a kicking from John.
"He would have needed a confidante" says Mary, which reminded me of her little cell of 'family', 
Sherlock calls Greg 'Graham'.  By TFP, he knows Greg's name.
We see that John can't sleep, a bit like he can't in TLD.
Mary reading from the blog, reminds me of her TFP voice overs.
We hear that an agent has given his life for the terrorist info.  Agent Mary eventually gives her life in TST.
Mycroft can't handle a broken heart in Operation, he asks for his heart to be targeted in TFP.
Mycroft tells Sherlock that ' both of us thought you were an idiot:...I wonder if he and Eurus both thought Sherlock was an idiot.
Sherlock says that the parents introducing them to other children was probably for 'making friends'...is he beginning to remember having a childhood friend?
Sherlock tells Molly she doesn't have to be John, she has to be herself. He is forced to really make her reveal her heart in TFP.
The scene of Sherlock almost imagining walking through the tube with Moran, reminded of him really walking the streets of London with disguised Eurus.
Poor John is injected, just as he is in TFP,
We have another chip reference: 'Fancy some chips?'. By TLD, they are still eating chips!
Sherlock tells Moly that not all the men she falls for will turn out to be sociopaths...by TFP, I think we only see one pyschopath and Sherlock is no sociopath.
John is not able to move in the fire, a bit like he can't move in the well.
The fire wood is a bit damp...John gets a lot wetter in TFP!
Of course there is the theme of fire in both TEH and TFP.
John declaring they have to stop the bomb to save lives, is like him determined to solve Eurus' puzzles to save lives in TFP.
Sherlock tricks John here. But In TLD, he is prepared to take a kicking from John.
Mycroft feeds information to Moriarty, to 'make it seem he has the upper hand'. Of course this comes back and bites Mycroft's arse in TFP!
We get a glimpse of Moriarty and Sherlock saying: " Your only 3 friends in the world with die" "Unless I kill  myself."
Of course in TFP, Sherlock is prepared to kill himself to save his brother and is best friend and manages to save Molly, too.
The end scene of CAM watching the fire film, reminds me of Mycroft watching his home movie. Plus CAM's creepy basement, is a bit like the spooky scene in Mycroft's house in TFP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2017 6:07 am  #2

Re: Besleybean's re-watching of the whole show with pointers to S 4.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Besleybean.  It's brave and kind of you to watch such an emotional episode with a theme of bereavement, and to give us your report.  Thank you for sharing it.

Yet again, there seem to be loads of links and parallels.  Some no doubt accidental, but still interesting to see!   You've got me thinking about the bomb scene on the train now, and that in a way that's a parallel with TLD, as in both cases Sherlock makes John think he/they are in extreme danger, because he's trying to provoke a particular reaction from John. 

I hadn't thought of John in the fire being like John in the well, but I suppose it is, very much so.   I do wonder how much CAM knew - he certainly knew the word "Redbeard", and it would have been easy enough to do some research and find out more about Sherlock's childhood. 

August 1, 2017 7:08 am  #3

Thank for you giving us your report, besley. There are many interesting thoughts, especially, as Liberty said, the fire-water parallel with TFP. And the film watching of Magnussen and Mycroft. I never realised there were so many parallels between TEH and TFP, I think I will write something about this on Tumblr. Of course I would mention that a dedicated fan came up with these ideas. I wish you much strength in these difficult times. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 1, 2017 8:06 am  #4

Another parallel: The bomb in TEH has been switched off. There was no bomb in Molly's house. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 1, 2017 8:23 am  #5

Thanks guys and as usual, I always seem to miss the obvious. 
Though possibly I had an excuse this time, head all over the place...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2017 8:59 am  #6

Not at all. It was your post that brought up some new ideas for me. 

August 1, 2017 2:45 pm  #7

besleybean wrote:

The fire wood is a bit damp...John gets a lot wetter in TFP!

I know in the context of the show those events are not funny...but this made me chuckle.

Last edited by Yitzock (August 1, 2017 2:46 pm)

Clueing for looks.

August 1, 2017 4:23 pm  #8

Believe me, I needed a bit of light relief!

Board footera