BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2017 8:53 am  #1141

Re: Doctor Who

The new Doctor is being announced tonight! 

July 16, 2017 12:25 pm  #1142

Looking forward to it. I just read about Kris Marshall being discussed as a possible candidate (and disliked by many). Cannot say much about him since I know him only from Love, Actually where he played a rather bland role. His part is the one I like least in the whole film but who knows?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 16, 2017 1:15 pm  #1143

After the Wimbledon Mens Final they say. That's a bit vague, since tennis can go on for hours and I'm not a tennis fan at all so I won't watch it. I need a precise time!

Although my Doctor will forever be the Tenth!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 16, 2017 1:57 pm  #1144

Ivy wrote:

Although my Doctor will forever be the Tenth!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

July 16, 2017 2:34 pm  #1145

I only know Kris from My Family and he was brill.
Last time the rumour was Peter and of course it turned out to be true...
My fave remains Matt, but I have liked them all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 16, 2017 3:20 pm  #1146

This is one of the few times I've actually watched Wimbledon (not a tennis fan!).  Well done to Roger Federer for finishing promptly (and winning)!

Jodie Whittaker! I'd heard she was a favourite: somebody must have leaked something! 

Last edited by Liberty (July 16, 2017 3:30 pm)

July 16, 2017 3:33 pm  #1147

I know her face, but have no idea from where.
I already read the first "they ruined Doctor Who" tweets from men.

----------

July 16, 2017 3:39 pm  #1148

I think she's most famous for Broadchurch. 

July 16, 2017 4:47 pm  #1149

I don't know what to think! I've always been pro female Doctor in theory - before actually watching the show. But now I find myself struggling with letting the Doctor change his face let alone his gender

Altho from the storytelling point of view this casting presents the writers with innumerable, all very interesting possibilities!

-----

July 16, 2017 5:19 pm  #1150

To be honest, I'm just not ready for Peter to go!   I've grown up with a male Doctor, but loved Missy, so I'm sure I'll be fine with a female Doctor.   There has been so much foreshadowing: it has practically been set up for the Doctor to be female (or female according to us humans!).   Jodie Whittaker seems to have the acting credentials, and I'm quite curious to see what she'll be like.  Also curious about the companion(s). 

July 16, 2017 6:05 pm  #1151

I think this is an interesting choice and I will be looking forward to her Doctor. But then I am not so involved with DW and watch it with a certain detachment. Which does not mean that anyone should talk about ruining the show with a woman. This is ridiculous.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 17, 2017 1:56 pm  #1152

I started watching Doctor Who at the second part of series 7, watched up until the beginning of series 8 and then just started from series 1 (of the reboot) and have still not made through many episodes of series 6, taking it slow and getting distracted by other shows, but I pretty much always enjoy it. I am looking forward to seeing how this goes. I never felt it was of critical importance for the Doctor to be a woman since the Doctor always has a female companion, but since seeing the news I think it's pretty cool. Of course, there's going to be men who think this is a horrible, childhood-ruining move (people were saying that with the Ghostbusters reboot, which was actually a very fun movie and the women in it were good, I thought), but that doesn't surprise me and I don't think it will be the majority opinion as things happen. The Doctor changes a little bit with each new actor, but the Doctor's past doesn't and the main personality traits that go with that.

I know when the Eleventh Doctor regenerated into the Twelfth, they had to come up with a reason the Doctor could regenerate an extra time, so I have no idea how they will explain this one - or was it that the limit on regeneration didn't apply to the Doctor anymore? I can't remember exactly how it was explained since it was a few years ago.

Last edited by Yitzock (July 17, 2017 1:58 pm)

Clueing for looks.

July 17, 2017 5:28 pm  #1153

Last edited by Ivy (July 17, 2017 5:30 pm)

----------

July 17, 2017 6:03 pm  #1154

----------

July 17, 2017 6:12 pm  #1155

Thanks for those, Ivy!  I've been keeping away from the media over the issue, after seeing that the Daily Fail were printing nude screenshots of Jodie Whittaker. 

There's no reason why the Doctor should have to be a man.  It has been established that Time Lords do not have to regenerate to the same gender, and also that gender isn't a thing to them in the way that it is to us. 

Not everybody who would have preferred a man, is being misogynist, though I think.  You just get used to seeing somebody a certain way, I think, and it has been many many years of the Doctor only being male, and unless you were born in the 1940s or earlier, throughout our childhoods.    Not a reason to keep them male, of course, but I think there can be a little bit of loss there (it reminds me of the loss when you have a child of one sex, and "lose" the son or daughter who might have been).  I grew up with an older Doctor too, and always want to see an older person in the role, which is maybe one of the reasons I loved Peter so much.  

No excuse for some of the comments out there, of course.  I think we've actually been well prepared for it by Stephen.

Last edited by Liberty (July 17, 2017 6:13 pm)

July 17, 2017 7:11 pm  #1156

Thank you for the hilarious collection, Ivy!

But when did this happen???

Ivy wrote:

-----

July 17, 2017 7:21 pm  #1157

I haven't really watched Doctor Who since David Tennant left, I did watch some of Matt Smith's episodes and liked him as the Doctor but I couldn't get into it with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor but I will definitely tune in to see how Jodie's portrayal turns out. 

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

July 17, 2017 8:22 pm  #1158

I have only seen a few of Peter Capaldi's episodes. I found him too grouchy when he started, but I don't know what his later episodes are like. I will get to them eventually and then I'll see what I think then.

Clueing for looks.

July 17, 2017 8:46 pm  #1159

I will definitely tune in, too. David was my last, too. (well...and the only one)

The regeneration will be interesting and the Doctors reaction to it.

ewige wrote:

Thank you for the hilarious collection, Ivy!

But when did this happen???

Ivy wrote:

Well he has the Sherlock locks, maybe during the shooting of series 2 (2011) maybe 3 (2013)

EDIT: gettyimages says April 2013, was at a party "to celebrate Michael Attenborough's 11 years as Artistic Director of the Almeida Theatre"

Last edited by Ivy (July 17, 2017 8:54 pm)

----------

July 18, 2017 10:31 am  #1160

Thank you for the digging!
I'm still not quite over Ten, but I've watched his last ep just this weekend for the first time. I'll be definitely watching the rest of the seasons after a breather (loved River Song - so far!) and I'm very excited because of all the potential of a female Doctor!

-----

Board footera