BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2017 3:14 pm  #1

Flatmates - in Canon and BBC Sherlock

So I just realised something. If we take the most pessimist possible view of TFP and assume that this episode is a) the end of the show, and b) that John is not living in 221b, this means that in the show they have been living together for a mere 18 months. Please keep that in mind. 

Because according to Sherlockian scholars in Canon they live together from 1881 to 1889 when Watson marries and moves out. He returns in 1994 and remains until 1902. This means that they are living together for at least 16 years. 

16 years vs 18 months for the greatest friendship of all time? Bit strange, if you ask me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 5, 2017 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Flatmates - in Canon and BBC Sherlock

The story is far from over.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 5, 2017 4:09 pm  #3

They've already been friends for several years that we've seen and flat shared for some of that time...
John might move back in at some point, but doesn't mean we'll ever get to see it.

Last edited by besleybean (July 5, 2017 7:03 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 5, 2017 7:01 pm  #4

tonnaree wrote:

The story is far from over.  

I agree. And I cannot think of any other adaptation that proposes the tell the story from the beginning and has them live apart for most of the time. In the Ritchie films for example we do not start with their first meeting. They have been living together and the story starts when Watson moves out. The new Russian Holmes has them living together the whole time except during the hiatus. Not sure about Elementary but I think it might along the same lines. And do not get me started on Granada which dispensed with Watson's marriage altogether. 

At the heart of the friendship there lies not just the friendship as such but also the fact that they share a flat and, by extension, a life. In Canon even married Watson spends his days - and nights - at 221b all the time. So why change this essential fact about their relationship and end on such a dreary note (this is John not living in 221b and the show being over)?

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 5, 2017 7:05 pm  #5

Well bearing in mind the current 'end' may have been forced upon the team...
I actually always wanted to know whether they would follow the Canon end of Sherlock's career, with him living away and alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 5, 2017 7:09 pm  #6

Elementary started with them moving together by the end of the first episode if I remember it correctly.

Last edited by Schmiezi (July 5, 2017 7:36 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 5, 2017 7:12 pm  #7

So BBC Sherlock kind of beats them on that, then.

July 5, 2017 7:15 pm  #8

Schmiezi wrote:

Elementary started with them moving together by the end of the first episode if I really it correctly.

Just as in ASiP where they decide to discuss the rent at the end. 

July 5, 2017 7:17 pm  #9

Yes, but John has kind of already moved in, when Sherlock first 'disappears' to Lauriston Gardens- well, before he returns for John.

July 5, 2017 7:38 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Elementary started with them moving together by the end of the first episode if I really it correctly.

Just as in ASiP where they decide to discuss the rent at the end. 

Only they did not move together because they were friends. I think Holmes' Father paid Watson to check if he relapses.

I think. I've only watched the first few episodes and then lost interest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 5, 2017 7:54 pm  #11

I have the first series on DVD, but haven't seen it all.
My family are huge Elementary fans so I've seen bits here and there.
I like it, it's just not Sherlock Holmes for me, more like CSI- good.

July 6, 2017 5:16 pm  #12

besleybean wrote:

Well bearing in mind the current 'end' may have been forced upon the team...
I actually always wanted to know whether they would follow the Canon end of Sherlock's career, with him living away and alone.

I've always wondered if that's the one thing they want to correct, even though that would mean to correct ACD canon. The idea of Sherlock Holmes spending his old age alone without Watson by his side was the only thing that I never really liked.

Last edited by diva (July 6, 2017 5:17 pm)

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

July 6, 2017 5:42 pm  #13

I agree entirely.

July 6, 2017 7:43 pm  #14

I do believe that when we get a S5 John will either already be living back at 221b or find his way back there.
Them being flatmates is something at the heart of the stories.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 6, 2017 7:45 pm  #15

I agree...well on the John being back in 221 B part.
I remain unconvinced of a S 5.

July 7, 2017 8:06 am  #16

tonnaree wrote:

I do believe that when we get a S5 John will either already be living back at 221b or find his way back there.
Them being flatmates is something at the heart of the stories.

Indeed. Either we are to assume that they are living together at the end of TFP or they would have to deliver at least another special. Because to a Holmes adaptation such a half-hearted solution - living apart but solving crimes together - would be quite disappointing. Quite apart from the constant Rosie logistics in the background.  

July 7, 2017 8:09 am  #17

Well, it's not beyond the realms of imagination:  they could continue with John and Rosie remaining in their own home.
But yes, it would be nice to have them all living together.

July 7, 2017 1:50 pm  #18

I will continue to root for Parentlock. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 7, 2017 1:53 pm  #19

Possibly depends if Mark and Steven can hear you and respond to it.

July 7, 2017 2:09 pm  #20

tonnaree wrote:

I will continue to root for Parentlock. 

Seconded. In 221b, please. 

Board footera