BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2017 7:08 pm  #2381

Re: Free Rants

Mod's note:
1. I do not think that this is the right thread to discuss this. This is not designed for complicated political discussions.
2. Nakahara: I do not agree with the ideas of Ms Keller at all but please be very careful in using words like Herrenmensch, Übermensch and the whole Nazi terminology. I feel that this is very inappropriate and it might offend and hurt our German members, me included. 

3. I do know really much about this topic so I will abstain from a longer discussion. Just this - all member states should have the same rights. This applies to advantages like free access to labour markets, financial support, etc. but also to the duties, e.g. humanitarian questions. I think it is not fair if some countries take in a million or hundreds of thousands of refugees while other countries refuse to take any refugees at all. Solidarity works in both directions.

Last edited by SusiGo (June 29, 2017 7:10 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 29, 2017 7:13 pm  #2382

Mod: I agree Susi.  I've always thought this thread was more for rants of a personal nature.  I have nothing against vigorous political discussion but maybe this should have it's own thread in the "Other" category?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 29, 2017 7:15 pm  #2383

Yes. But even there I would ask not to use such terminology. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 29, 2017 7:18 pm  #2384

I am at a loss as how to respond here. I feel uncomfortabel being German right now. Not because of a (what I find rather stupid) suggestion by a German politician but because of all those Third Reich comparisons that are made here and that are absolutely inappropriate.

I am sure everybody here can find a way to express their disagreement without that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 29, 2017 7:21 pm  #2385

I agree. It is a stupid suggestion no democratic party will ever support. And I really, really do not like how these comparisons crop up again and again. 

If anyone wishes, the discussion can be transferred to another section, always provided that it stays polite and matter-of-fact. It is a delicate topic and should be treated as such. 

June 29, 2017 7:32 pm  #2386

Thanks, ladies.
I felt uncomfortable myself and that as an English woman! So I can't imagine how you all felt.
I certainly didn't like Godwin's Law being broken and even that as someone who recognises it does occasionally have to be invoked!
We are in explosive political times and our Sherlock team are very political animals.
I know it is a rant thread, but yeah, we should rant with respectful language!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 29, 2017 7:34 pm  #2387

Thank you, besley. 

June 29, 2017 9:22 pm  #2388

I do not agree with Mrs Keller's suggestion either, but I do think she has the right to state her opinion in a political debate. I don't know why that should make her a Nazi, a Herrenmensch or any of the other lovely terms that were used. Which, by the way, is not even an apt comparison as Nazis weren't especially keen to share their land and resources with brown-skinned people as far as I remember.

Last edited by kete (June 30, 2017 8:16 am)

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

July 1, 2017 2:42 pm  #2389

SusiGo wrote:

3. I do know really much about this topic so I will abstain from a longer discussion. Just this - all member states should have the same rights. This applies to advantages like free access to labour markets, financial support, etc. but also to the duties, e.g. humanitarian questions. I think it is not fair if some countries take in a million or hundreds of thousands of refugees while other countries refuse to take any refugees at all. Solidarity works in both directions.

Apology if I hurt someones feeling, but Keller´s attitude was very similar to the times of WII when certain big states decided that Czechoslovakia will be split - and this was done "about us, without us". Therefore I reffered to it as such.

All countries have different area, economical power and chances to accomodate or give jobs to people - therefore it´s absolutely normal if one country takes a million of refugees and the other just a few, if the other has no means to accomodate more. Sure, you can order byrocratically that the same amount of people should be put to one little room as to the spacious hall - but that would not work in the long run, you realise that.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 1, 2017 2:46 pm  #2390

kete wrote:

I do not agree with Mrs Keller's suggestion either, but I do think she has the right to state her opinion in a political debate. I don't know why that should make her a Nazi, a Herrenmensch or any of the other lovely terms that were used. Which, by the way, is not even an apt comparison as Nazis weren't especially keen to share their land and resources with brown-skinned people as far as I remember.

V4 people are brown skinned?

Nazis did not want to share their land, but they wanted to aggresively occupy Eastern Lands and replace their people with an "Arian Race". Vaguely reminiscent of what Keller had in mind - therefore she should refrain from making such comments in the future.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 1, 2017 2:47 pm  #2391

tonnaree wrote:

Mod: I agree Susi.  I've always thought this thread was more for rants of a personal nature.  I have nothing against vigorous political discussion but maybe this should have it's own thread in the "Other" category?

I will abstain from further discussion about this, if you wish so.
On the other hand, if people could went their feelings about Donald Trump and other political stuff here on the forum, I don´t see why other people cannot went their anger about other politicians too. What is a difference?

Last edited by nakahara (July 1, 2017 2:52 pm)

July 1, 2017 5:01 pm  #2392

If people used the same terms to ran about Trump I would also complain. It is not a matter of what is discussed but of how.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 1, 2017 5:30 pm  #2393

I would agree.
Except I think he is in more a position of power than this lady.
They are all allowed their opinions.
But how we respond to them and relate them here,  is important.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 1, 2017 8:08 pm  #2394

besleybean wrote:

I would agree.
Except I think he is in more a position of power than this lady.
They are all allowed their opinions.
But how we respond to them and relate them here,  is important.

The history of Central and East Europe is maybe not taugh in big detail in GB, but Munich Dictate - where our land was forcedly split by four foreign countries - was one of the most humiliating episodes in the history of the former Czechoslovakia, reminiscent maybe of Pearl Harbour in the history of the US. The suggestions like Keller´s - defended here like "rightfully voiced" by kete - bring imminent historical reminiscence to that event and are extremely hurtful and insulting to all citisens of both countries that succeded CS. The same is the veiled threat that we will be "forced" by Germany to obey. Not only German feelings can be hurt, you know?

If some British politician used the same "suggestion" and rhetorics in regard to The Irish Republic, for example, you would probably notice right away how inappropriate that "suggestion" was. And I don´t believe it would not cause the same outcry.

July 1, 2017 8:14 pm  #2395

We are taught.
There is always outrage in all 4 corners of the UK and our Irish Republican neighbours have a massive influence on us...as does wider Europe.
I am going to miss you all.

July 1, 2017 8:18 pm  #2396

besleybean wrote:

We are taught.
There is always outrage in all 4 corners of the UK and our Irish Republican neighbours have a massive influence on us...as does wider Europe.
I am going to miss you all.

I am not convinced you will really "leave"....

July 1, 2017 8:31 pm  #2397

I do hope you are right.

November 5, 2017 1:51 am  #2398

Today was not a very good day. I met with the two guys I'm doing a group project with for one of my classes. We met at 10:00 this morning and I was anticipating working until around 1:00. We ended up not stopping until close to 3:30. Yes, it was good that we got things done, but it felt drawn out and I was tired and hungry by the end of it. And I had other things to do, of course. And then that didn't go as well as I was hoping, probably in part because I was tired from the group project.

When I got home from the group meeting it felt like I had lost practically a whole day from it. Here's hoping that later on it feels like it paid off.

Actually writing this out makes it seem kind of frivelous, but I really don't feel good. I'm going to get ready for bed and read and hopefully I will start to feel better once I do that.

Clueing for looks.

November 6, 2017 8:21 am  #2399

I hope it at least pays off! 

I have a rant too... for a while now I've been waking up at night and 'seeing' spiders that turned out to not be there once I woke up a little more. I'm extremely scared of spiders and it makes me jump out of bed with my heart racing... and it takes me forever to fall asleep. 

It only got worse after an actual spider encounter I had 2 weeks ago... I can't shake it off. 

I wonder if it's a side effect of some of my meds... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 8, 2017 6:02 pm  #2400

It that kind of thing listed as a possible side effect? If it's disrupting your sleep on a regular basis it doesn't sound good.

I have some stressful stuff looming over my head right now, actually it's been there for the past couple months, too, but it's just getting worse. I need to decide which universities to apply to for next year and just thinking of it can put me in a bad mood. I have to make decisions and I feel like I can't make any of them, one of the reasons being that I have too many other things to do in addition to the applications. I need to ask professors to write reference letters for me and get transcripts, but until I choose which school I'm applying to I don't know what to say to anybody because different schools have you send them in in different ways. And the thoughts of everything I haven't done yet (and if I want to apply for funding I have to do that by December 1st, even if the actual applications to the programs aren't until around January) are also stressing me out. The only thing I've really come close to completing is my CV, the easiest part.
I try to find more and more information to help me make the decision of where to apply (courses that are offered, the interests of the professors that match up with my own), but I am not getting much clarity. Some of the universities are near where I live with my family, others are not. A friend of mine who is already doing her Master's this year suggested I think about where I want to live, which schools are there. I thought that was a helpful suggestion, but at the same time I'm still not sure.
Nothing seems like the right decision. It's almost like I wish someone could choose for me, even though I know that's not a good or helpful thing in reality. 
So it just feels like every day that goes by I just think about it, then have to move on to something else, all with it in the back of my mind that I haven't moved forward in any meaningful way. It feels terrible. This morning I've been wondering if deep down I'm just incompetent, that I'm still a child who doesn't know how to do anything for herself.
I know I want to keep studying, but the road to getting there is not a happy one for me right now.

Last edited by Yitzock (November 8, 2017 6:04 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera