BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2017 5:38 am  #941

Re: Sherlocked - The Official Sherlock Convention

Well said, conspiracies drive me nuts!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2017 6:45 am  #942

I don't think it would be offensive: it's kind of self-deprecating to admit to not understanding it.    Not that that's necessarily what she meant.  It could be the other way round - that she understood it perfectly, and was earnestly checking that the guests had too.  But that wouldn't stop her talking in front of Mark!  I don't think it's a conspiracy -  the major "conspiracy theory" (TJLC) about Sherlock has been put to rest.   Of course, she could have been refuting TJLC, I suppose, if the guests had seemed to be supporting it, or even curious about it?  (And that would be a touchy topic for Mark, after SDCC, etc.).  Sadly, I don't suppose we'll ever know!  It's a shame she didn't get more time to chat and explain. 

Actually, the oddest thing about it is asking if they'd seen all of it.  Who would pay to go to Sherlocked without watching all of the episodes, especially the most recent ones?   Unless she was emphasising that last bit as the key to understanding it (which it kind of is). 

Last edited by Liberty (June 7, 2017 6:56 am)

June 7, 2017 12:00 pm  #943

I still don't think it is a nice thing to do in general. It depends though, on how close you are and if you have talked about these things between each other beforehand, joking about how this series maybe turned out to be a bit confusing. If Mark knows what Wanda thinks about it and vice versa, it would be ok, I guess.

We can be completely wrong with our interpretations. Relying on some source in the internet, on something that is written down, but has actually been a conversation can pretty easily lead to misinterpretation. Very hard to judge if you haven't been around yourself.

@Liberty: Agree.
If it's true, this is probably the oddest thing... 

Yeah, so many conspiracy theories still floating around, this isn't good for me.  Not at all. :D
I like to read and believe in these onspiracies, then again my sanity is telling me it is most unlikely and to not waste my time. ;)

Last edited by Rache (June 7, 2017 12:04 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

June 7, 2017 1:12 pm  #944

Schmiezi wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

My first thought was actually that she couldn't say what it was really about, because Mark was sitting right over there... then again, I've probably spend too much time reading too much conspiracies. 

Same here! (Including the part about conspiracies.;-)

I would not be surprised if she was hinting at a little something deeper.  She strikes me as a sly one, that Wanda. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 7, 2017 1:48 pm  #945

She is a formidable woman. I think Benedict said so himself. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 7, 2017 2:16 pm  #946

SusiGo wrote:

She is a formidable woman. I think Benedict said so himself. 

Just watching her banter with Tim, I wouldn't cross her. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 7, 2017 4:48 pm  #947

Exactly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2017 8:04 pm  #948

Dunno, does she even know about TJLC? I mean I doubt she's be interested in something like this, even if someone on the set has told her about this - and this is quite unlikely.

June 7, 2017 8:06 pm  #949

I can't give my honest reply.
I don't know if she does know, but I'm sure that isn't what she was returning to.

June 7, 2017 8:14 pm  #950

Well, I could just see it - if she was aware of TJLC, and if the people at the tables were obviously TJLC believers, then her comments would make sense - did they watch it all the way through? (Because Johnlock didn't happen).  Did they understand what it meant? (Because it didn't mean JL).  But that relies on those specific circumstances.   I agree that it's very difficult to judge unless we were there and heard it in context. 

June 7, 2017 8:43 pm  #951

Another question for those who attended. I know it's hard to evaluate, because of the different venue, but how many people were there? It didn't look crowded.

June 7, 2017 8:45 pm  #952

I seem to recall people said there weren't that many there.

June 8, 2017 6:41 am  #953

Liberty wrote:

Well, I could just see it - if she was aware of TJLC, and if the people at the tables were obviously TJLC believers, then her comments would make sense - did they watch it all the way through? (Because Johnlock didn't happen).  Did they understand what it meant? (Because it didn't mean JL).  But that relies on those specific circumstances.   I agree that it's very difficult to judge unless we were there and heard it in context. 

I think no one associated this with TJLC. Not even on Tumblr. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2017 6:53 am  #954

I did see a comment on tumblr about it.  And asking whether people understood, then having to keep quiet fits well with a conspiracy!  But yes, I think it's unlikely, and without further information there's no point in speculating ... except that we all do love to speculate and with S5 not in the works yet we don't have enough to speculate about!

June 8, 2017 12:28 pm  #955

Attendance was not as high as they expected but it's not like no one showed up.
Mark Gatiss actually ask me about this when I got his autograph.  He wanted to know how far I had traveled and if I thought it might be better if they held it somewhere in the middle of the US.
I told him that I was lucky because I had a friend right there in LA that I could stay with but that I thought it would be great if they held it in a more central location.

Thinking about it, I think I should tell them to hold it in Atlanta!  Seriously, Atlanta is known world wide as a great city for conventions.  Hundreds of businesses and organizations hold conventions and trade shows here ever year.  We have an outstanding hotel industry and an airport that is a major hub for domestic and international travel.   I think I could make an excellent case. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 8, 2017 12:29 pm  #956

Maybe you should write a mail to Hartswood. And then I could visit you and kill two birds with one stone. 

June 8, 2017 12:48 pm  #957

SusiGo wrote:

Maybe you should write a mail to Hartswood. And then I could visit you and kill two birds with one stone. 

YES YES YES

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 8, 2017 4:03 pm  #958

But the flights to LA (and NY) are cheaper than to most other locations because they are so popular. At least it is my experience

June 8, 2017 4:16 pm  #959

I vote for next time anywhere in central Europe please. :D

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

June 9, 2017 10:59 pm  #960

Rache wrote:

I vote for next time anywhere in central Europe please. :D

Well, Birmingham might not be exactly Central Europe but travelling to the UK is much cheaper for us Europeans than a transatlantic flight.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

Board footera