BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2017 11:35 pm  #1

Series 4 in German - finally!

Finally, finally, finally we get the German translation of series 4! On June the 4th, the 5th and the 11th.

So nearly half a year later, when all the international hype and talk has disappeared. It will have been a long wait, but I am really looking forward to it. Series 4 is still quite "fresh" to me, because I only watched the episodes 1-2 times and it has been in January.
And I guess for me, it will even be a bit as if I was experiencing it new. No matter what some people might say about dubbing, I enjoy a good dub very much!!!
And no matter how well I understand English (if you are drawn completely into a film, I often times "forget" that I am watching in a different language), I believe it still is a different thing to watch something in your mother tongue. How do I explain this best? Firstly, in your mother tongue, you definetely understand every tiny nuance of the expressed emotion. And every word can get a certain meaning to it, depending on how you emphasise it. Words you know so well, words you use and hear every day, and in the context of the storyline, you suddenly realise the power behind them. And maybe the words and emotions are affecting you more personally, are getting closer to your heart and soul. Because chances are higher that you have experienced the same or a similar situation. You have witnessed how easy or hard it is to say certain things, witnessed the effects face to face, witnessed that there can be different reactions from different people to the same thing, words and sayings you will have experimented with in your own voice hundreds and thousands of times, and so on...

Also I see the dubbing as a kind of art or work and I like to judge how good or bad it was done. Translated text, voice acting, lip movement...

Look here on the homepage of the ARD
http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/film/sherlock/index.html

wow:
in the description for TLD they already spoil Mar's death :/
intersting:
they translated "lying" into "lügend", when it also can mean "liegend". Of course,in this case it's not possible to translate the ambiguity, but I would have thought that they would would probably choose "liegend", because the main topic in my opinion is, that Sherlock is lying in a hospital bed to "solve" the case and not that he is telling lies in this ep.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. A question for you French people: Is your dub out yet? I know you have to wait longer as well.

Last edited by Rache (April 28, 2017 11:39 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

May 27, 2017 11:15 am  #2

Re: Series 4 in German - finally!

I really wonder what hubby will say about S4!

I don't think we will watch it on TV but we have pre-ordered the German Blue-Ray Box, btw.

Last edited by Schmiezi (May 27, 2017 11:16 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 27, 2017 1:34 pm  #3

We'll be on vacation when it aires
I wanted to show it to my hubby too since he's just a casual viewer and getting DVDs in German will never pay off for vieweing them just once...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 1, 2017 5:00 pm  #4

Who is hubby??

I will certainly watch it. A shame that they are showing Sherlock so late (21:45) and not around prime time.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

June 1, 2017 5:10 pm  #5

Hubby = husband.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 1, 2017 7:23 pm  #6

ohhh, ok, right. :D

- - -

Breathing is boring!

June 1, 2017 8:14 pm  #7

Not only they spoilered Mary's death, the "synopsis" released in some papers is actually describing almost all what happens. I sometimes think they are hating Sherlock. ;-) BTW The Hollow Crown is available in German too.
I think I'll watch it too, changing languages somehow changes my perspective. Might be a fresh start

June 4, 2017 9:11 am  #8

Here a small funny video about the dubbing and the German voice of Sherlock - Tommy Morgenstern!

http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/film/sherlock/videos/im-synchronstudio-100.html

The editor said , they were drinking in real while recording the famous stag night then, champagne and cognac to get faster! 😂

Last edited by DramaQueen (June 4, 2017 9:19 am)

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

June 4, 2017 12:28 pm  #9

Oh yes!!!

I just discoverd this video myself and came here to share it with you, you were faster, DramaQueen. ;)

And all I can say is: I love it, love it, love it.

Tommy Morgenstern, Sherlock's German voice, is such a sweetheart! He is wearing the I am Sherlocked T-Shirt while synchronising, OMG.  
I could sit there and watch their whole work from start to finish until the whole series is synchronised. Would be so cool.

I'm also fascinated my the methods they use for synchronization.Like eating a biscuit for real, I knew they do stuff like this. Or running around to get out of breath or doing the actuel gestures while talking.
But getting drunk for real is new to me. How amazing is that??!

Last edited by Rache (June 4, 2017 12:39 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

June 4, 2017 7:36 pm  #10

Totally agree, Rache! 🍻

Made by fans for fans with lots of inspiration and fun! Amazing! I love German dubbing in general- sometimes it sounds even better than the original !

But now....countdown is on.....ten minutes left!

June 4, 2017 9:52 pm  #11

I think the German dubbing was surprisingly good, save for the fact that Molly and Sherlock are still using the formal "Sie" which is very unrealistic.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

June 4, 2017 10:02 pm  #12

diva wrote:

I think the German dubbing was surprisingly good, save for the fact that Molly and Sherlock are still using the formal "Sie" which is very unrealistic.

Indeed! I noticed this, too. 👀

June 4, 2017 10:05 pm  #13

Yeah I wondered too that they still "siezen".

Tommy Morgenstern is for sure a great dubber and it's real hard job to dub BC in this, because of the monologues and the super fast speaking.  But I can't stand the sound of Sherlocks German voice, it sound so angestrengt tief/rauchig, I don't know how to describe it. Maybe it's because BC voice is so perfect. 

And they didn't dub "#ohwhatabeautifulmorning"  

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

June 4, 2017 10:07 pm  #14

Yeah, very good job. I think they improve with each series.

I noticed that, too, the "Sie" between Molly and Sherlock. But in the next sentence Molly called him "Sherlock". Not quite sure, what it is supposed to be now!? Maybe the "Hamburger Sie" like Sherlock and Joh used in the first 2,5 series, where they used first name + Sie.

Another two points that I noticed and remember right now:
1) I'm quite sure they synced John's mourning/groaning when Mary is dead in his arms.
2) Molly's/John's sentence in the end got an extra connotation: Out of "He would have rather anyone but you" they made "he would rather take anyone from the street." ("Er würde eher jemanden von der Straße nehmen. Irgendjemanden.")

- - -

Breathing is boring!

June 4, 2017 10:17 pm  #15

Ivy wrote:

And they didn't dub "#ohwhatabeautifulmorning"  

Yeah, hashtags seem to be international by now. :D (Actually leaving it English can really make sense. I mean, for people in Sherlock's age group and even more so younger ones, it wouldn't be uncommon to write short status messages or whatever in those social media sites in English.

I really wonder now, if they left the joke in the next episode ("cereal/serial killer") completely in English as well. The phrase is part of a commercial and sooo many commercials these days have English words/lines in them. And I can't think of another good way to translate it.

But another thing I remember now: They cut Siri's voice and made it a male voice in Sherlock's phone!!! LOL

- - -

Breathing is boring!

June 5, 2017 4:40 am  #16

Yes - the dubbing was quite okay for me, too.
And "siezing" Molly in view of the fact what they've been through in the past is ridiculous.
My guess is that this will change in the I-love-you scene in TFP. Which will be even more dramatic then.

Rache wrote:

2) Molly's/John's sentence in the end got an extra connotation: Out of "He would have rather anyone but you" they made "he would rather take anyone from the street." ("Er würde eher jemanden von der Straße nehmen. Irgendjemanden.")

This sentence was translated this way because in TLD there will be flashbacks when Sherlock mulls over the meaning of the name "anyone". If they had dubbed it into "Er hätte lieber jeden anderen außer dir" – which would have been more natural – the flashback wouldn't fit and also lack the randomness of Culverton's victims. We don't have an "anyone" in German for both: "irgendjemand" AND "jeder/alle" but have to decide.
Now I wonder what Faith's answer will be when asked by Sherlock: "Nicer - than who?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 5, 2017 10:03 am  #17

tobeornot221b wrote:

Yes - the dubbing was quite okay for me, too.
And "siezing" Molly in view of the fact what they've been through in the past is ridiculous.
My guess is that this will change in the I-love-you scene in TFP. Which will be even more dramatic then.

Rache wrote:

This sentence was translated this way because in TLD there will be flashbacks when Sherlock mulls over the meaning of the name "anyone". If they had dubbed it into "Er hätte lieber jeden anderen außer dir" – which would have been more natural – the flashback wouldn't fit and also lack the randomness of Culverton's victims. We don't have an "anyone" in German for both: "irgendjemand" AND "jeder/alle" but have to decide.
Now I wonder what Faith's answer will be when asked by Sherlock: "Nicer - than who?"

Yep, I know, they have to use "Irgendwen" in Molly's sentence, but this extra phrase "von der Straße" wasn't necessarily needed. Yes it transports the meaning and isn't wrong. But it is an even harder thing from John to say to Sherlock than in the original. (Implying that someone from the street could be a homeless, drunk, criminal or drug addict...)

Translations that would have worked as well, I guess (without using "from the street"):
Er hätte lieber jemand anderen, irgendwen.
Er hätte lieber irgendwen... irgendwen.
Er hätte lieber irgendwen anderen, irgendwen.
Er würde eher jemand anderen nehmen, irgendwen.

I'm not complaining, though. It is just something I noticed and found interesting.

And yes, I soooo hope that in TFP, Sherlock and Molly stop the "Siezen". I don't think this scene can work, if they still do.

Faith's answer...hm.  "Netter - als wer?"
"Jeder?"
"Irgendwer?"

We will see.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

June 5, 2017 9:48 pm  #18

Ha! So they kept in the "cereal killer" and didn't translate it. Like I predicted.

One thing I noticed this time and bothered me the most:
Tommy Morgenstern didn't quite get the breaking into his voice like Benedict so awesomely and absolutely heartwrenchingly did when Sherlock is saying "I don't want to die" for the 3rd (and 4th) time.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

June 6, 2017 8:19 am  #19

Who could do it like BC? But I liked the other voices. Mary's remarks about Irene were uncannily alike to the original.
But they used different articles for Prime Minister. Once it was she and twice he. Or the other way around.
AND John and Molly use "du" while… what was it with her and Sherlock this time?

PS, the sentence of Sherlock when he talks about the worth Mary put on his life, it was a bit weird.

Last edited by JP (June 6, 2017 8:20 am)

June 7, 2017 8:37 am  #20

I must say I am quite satisfied with the dubbing this time. Many points have already been mentioned. I would like to add this link which discusses "the man we both love" quote:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/161538525461/isitandwonder-gosherlocked-in-the-german

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera