BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2017 6:18 pm  #2041

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

Hi everybody,
Any suggestions for some long form, not AU, not post-Reichenbach fic? For some reason, I've been reading a lot of post-Reichenbach lately and I'm a bit sick of grieving, grumpy John and sorry, remorseful Sherlock. I don't mean it doesn't feature Reichenbach at all, just something not centred around it. 
I always prefer a good serving of fluff in my fics, but something angsty with a happy ending will be welcomed as well.
Thanks

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

May 16, 2017 6:20 pm  #2042

Have you read "Nature & Nurture"? One of my favourites. Parentlock of a very different kind. Sexy. Angsty. Fluffy. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 16, 2017 8:17 pm  #2043

SusiGo wrote:

Have you read "Nature & Nurture"? One of my favourites. Parentlock of a very different kind. Sexy. Angsty. Fluffy. 

Yes, I read it and I loved it. I'm already trying to forget it so I can read it again  Thanks anyway.

"It is what it is"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

May 16, 2017 8:25 pm  #2044

Maybe you could browse a bit in this thread. Or try this tumblr blog, they have lots of fic recs according to preferences/subjects: 

http://alexxphoenix42.tumblr.com

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 16, 2017 8:27 pm  #2045

There is also the epic, novel-length series "There but for the Grace of John Watson". It's in three parts. Part three is unfinished, but part one and part two form a complete story in itself. Part three is really the start of a new story. So you can read Part one and two and have read a complete story.

Novel-length and novel-quality with a lot of angst, but with a happy ending.

http://archiveofourown.org/series/28661

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 16, 2017 8:28 pm  #2046

Oh, yes, this is a great one. 

May 17, 2017 3:57 am  #2047

You can also try Midnight Blue Serenity by BeautifulFiction.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/635897/chapters/1151468

(My link might only work for smartphones.)

Sherlock poses as a bar tender to solve a case. It is really hot and the case is interesting.

Or if you prefer older fics you could try "The Green Blade" by verityburns.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/320879/chapters/516147

It's a case fic about a serial killer with what was called "Johnlock if you war your Johnlock glasses". Nothing explicit, but sweet hits that they could be more than friends soon. (If I remember correctly. I really should read it again myself!)

Last edited by Schmiezi (May 17, 2017 4:02 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 17, 2017 5:11 am  #2048

Thank you! I'll be spending 10+ hours on trains and buses this weekend, and this should help.

"It is what it is"

May 17, 2017 5:00 pm  #2049

Schmiezi wrote:

Or if you prefer older fics you could try "The Green Blade" by verityburns.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/320879/chapters/516147

It's a case fic about a serial killer with what was called "Johnlock if you war your Johnlock glasses". Nothing explicit, but sweet hits that they could be more than friends soon. (If I remember correctly. I really should read it again myself!)

Yess! I loved this one. I betaed the Russian translation (so I spent quite some time with this fic) and I was astonished by the different (bromance) reading of the story. Johnlock was like a Schroedinger cat there: it was simultaneously there and not! lol
I also kept thinking about our debate thread a lot

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

May 18, 2017 11:50 pm  #2050

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I just finished "The Case of the Green Gown" - wow, what a read! Thank you very much to those who recommended it. I had never heard of it before and would probably have missed it. Of the many good things that can be said about it, I would like to mention one that impressed me very much: for me this is the first truly convincing relationship story for Mycroft. Beautiful and sad. 

I just finished it also and would like to second everything Susi just said.  It was fantastic.

My God. This fic. Thank you guys for bringing it up, and my utmost gratitude to whoever recommended it in the first place. I just finished it, and I'm all emotional and overwhelmed and stunned. If you haven't read it, leave everything you are doing and go for it. It's an outstanding story, extremely well crafted, complex and bittersweet.

"It is what it is"

May 22, 2017 11:07 am  #2051

SusiGo wrote:

Here is something quite unusual - the first long post-TFP fic I have read. Kudos to the author who worked the sometimes problematic elements of S4 into a loving though sometimes a bit angsty fic:

(Never) Turn Your Back to the Sea[/url] (39968 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/DiscordantWords]DiscordantWords
Chapters: 7/7
Fandom: Sherlock (TV)
Rating: Mature
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Rosamund Mary "Rosie" Watson, Eurus Holmes, Mycroft Holmes
Additional Tags: Season/Series 04, Post-Episode: s04e03 The Final Problem, Fix-It, Sherlock Is Not Okay, John Comes Home, eventually, Series 4 Fix-It, Grief/Mourning
Summary: 

Baker Street is very much the same. Only different. 

And Sherlock is just trying not to drown.

I really enjoyed this one, it was a thrill to read from start to finish. I loved how we got inside Sherlock's head after the aftermath of TFP. Thanks for the rec!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

June 1, 2017 7:45 am  #2052

In case you need something sweet after the turmoil of S4 - with a little angst thrown in - try this one:

The Burning of the Leaves[/url] (15908 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/blueink3]blueink3
Chapters: 3/3
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson, James Sholto/John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, James Sholto (Sherlock), Rosamund Mary "Rosie" Watson, John Watson
Additional Tags: Angst, Reichenbach Feels, Parentlock, Sholto is a good friend, John is an idiot, Sherlock is a Mess, Puppies, Fluff
Summary: 

After the events of series 4, Major Sholto invites John and Sherlock to lunch one day. It nearly proves to be too much for their tenuous relationship as the past haunts the present, putting the future that Sherlock so desperately wants at risk.

June 1, 2017 9:43 am  #2053

Sounds interesting. *bookmarks*

Team Hudders!

June 1, 2017 12:36 pm  #2054

SusiGo wrote:

In case you need something sweet after the turmoil of S4 - with a little angst thrown in - try this one:

The Burning of the Leaves[/url] (15908 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/blueink3]blueink3
Chapters: 3/3
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson, James Sholto/John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, James Sholto (Sherlock), Rosamund Mary "Rosie" Watson, John Watson
Additional Tags: Angst, Reichenbach Feels, Parentlock, Sholto is a good friend, John is an idiot, Sherlock is a Mess, Puppies, Fluff
Summary: 

After the events of series 4, Major Sholto invites John and Sherlock to lunch one day. It nearly proves to be too much for their tenuous relationship as the past haunts the present, putting the future that Sherlock so desperately wants at risk.

I like to see people working with Major Sholto as a character.  Now that I got to meet Alistair Petrie, it may get worse. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 1, 2017 12:45 pm  #2055

He is wonderful in this fic. 

June 1, 2017 12:55 pm  #2056

SusiGo wrote:

He is wonderful in this fic. 

He's not bad in real life. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 1, 2017 12:56 pm  #2057

Yes, I got that impression, too. 

June 3, 2017 12:54 am  #2058

I just read this yesterday and really liked it.  Lots of lovely feels.

Sorry to have been away so long, guys. I've struggled for a while with my feelings after S4.  But I'm back and hoping to regain my enthusiasm.  Some good Johnlock fan fic might just do the trick. And it really helped to meet up with tobe in London a few weeks ago and talk it all out.  I've missed being here.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 3, 2017 4:40 am  #2059

It's so nice to have you back, KP. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 3, 2017 4:03 pm  #2060

KP!!!!!!!!!!        I'm glad you're back.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera