BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2017 9:51 pm  #301

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

About Irene's feelings 

"I like detective stories – and detectives. Brainy’s the new sexy."
And couple scenes later:
"An accomplished sportsman recently returned from foreign travel with ... a boomerang. You got that from one look? Definitely the new sexy."
-from http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/

I understand, she was attracted to Sherlock, but thanks his intelligence. 

Liberty wrote:

I like to assume that her talent for knowing what people liked didn't fail her. So what we saw, is what he likes.

Can we be sure whether he knew it? 

January 25, 2017 9:54 pm  #302

Irene deduced correctly that she could get to Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 30, 2017 6:20 pm  #303

Hey all, Question:
In my many re-watches, I haven't seen a dead Viking or pirate, but remember comments either here or on Twitter about who played the dead Viking.  He's in the credits too. Can't remember the name, but apparently a rock star or some other sort of star?  I'm assuming it'd be in the flash back scenes to when they were little kids playing pirates. Can anyone tell me where to look, or if it's been edited out of PBS telecasts? If so, I wonder what else may be missing. :-(

January 30, 2017 6:23 pm  #304

No it's right at the end when they have cases and clients coming into 221 B...it's the guy on the floor!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 30, 2017 6:24 pm  #305

Haaa!  THAT GUY!!!  Thanks, BB!

March 1, 2017 8:29 pm  #306

Not sure where to put this, so I put it here - an interesting analysis of TFP:

(And he's done these videoes for all episodes in S4)

Last edited by Vhanja (March 1, 2017 8:44 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 1, 2017 8:59 pm  #307

Very nice whiz through! I like the bit about the no one/anyone Amo/Nemo connection. 

I prefer to think that the painting in Mycroft's house resembles Timothy Carlton, rather than Isaac Newton!

March 1, 2017 9:06 pm  #308

Timothy Carlton? Isn't that the name of Ben's father? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 1, 2017 9:22 pm  #309

Yes, and Sherlock and Mycroft's father - an ancestor might have a family resemblance!  I think that maybe one of the other ancestors looks like Mycroft too.

March 17, 2017 7:00 pm  #310

Not sure where to put this, so let me just say - I LOVE the "I want to break free!" Moriarty intro! All the scenes with Moriarty in this episode made me realize how much I miss him, and I am so happy they brought him back. (Even though I would've preferred if TRF was different so that Moriarty REALLY was back - no noe can match him).

Last edited by Vhanja (March 17, 2017 7:02 pm)

Team Hudders!

March 17, 2017 7:45 pm  #311

I loved the "I want to break free" bit too! Moriarty is such a great character and Andrew plays him so well! I really love the way he speaks too, the way he says "I'm a bit down with the kids you know" always makes me smile.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

March 17, 2017 7:53 pm  #312

That entire bit with Moriarit is a highlight of episode. And it wasn't until I realised that I saw that as a highlight, I realised how much I missed him. 

Team Hudders!

March 17, 2017 10:30 pm  #313

It was a delight watching it in the cinema: the whole place erupted as soon as we heard the 'I wanna' break free' music.  I turned to my neighbour and said: here he comes!
I will never get over the ' How do you want me?' line!

Last edited by besleybean (March 17, 2017 10:37 pm)

March 17, 2017 10:33 pm  #314

That must have been unforgettable, watching that scene in the cinema! 

Team Hudders!

March 17, 2017 10:37 pm  #315

It was brilliant: we all laughed and cried and shouted out in the same places!

May 22, 2017 11:33 am  #316

Sorry, not impressed.  It had some good emotional punch in many places; these actors are good at that.  But. . . 

As others have said, I can't imagine institutionalizing a five-year-old in the 1970's or later (?) and never again referring to her existence.  I can't imagine having three children, one of whom kills or at least does something to lead to the death of another's best friend, and not putting the whole family into serious counseling from the beginning.  I can't imagine having a missing child on your property and not thinking to search an open well.  I can't imagine taking someone who is deprived of the most basic human contact, including touch, because you are afraid of her influence over people, and giving that person access to the internet, through which she could easily influence others long-distance (a possibility that is never mentioned, which seems strange to me in this day of internet recruiting of terrorists).  But mostly, I cannot believe that a woman who had spent her entire life in mental institutions with "minimal human contact" could for an instant pull off her acting jobs as Faith, E, and the psychiatrist.  Look at her as she is portrayed in this episode;  she may be able to be persuasive and to mentally "take over" someone who spent a lot of time with her one-on-one, but no one, ever, would mistake her for a normal human being.

May 22, 2017 12:43 pm  #317

I could not agree more. There are exactly my problems with TFP. This does not make sense, not in reality and not the Sherlock universe. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 22, 2017 12:59 pm  #318

cmb711 wrote:

Sorry, not impressed.  It had some good emotional punch in many places; these actors are good at that.  But. . . 

As others have said, I can't imagine institutionalizing a five-year-old in the 1970's or later (?) and never again referring to her existence.  I can't imagine having three children, one of whom kills or at least does something to lead to the death of another's best friend, and not putting the whole family into serious counseling from the beginning.  I can't imagine having a missing child on your property and not thinking to search an open well.  I can't imagine taking someone who is deprived of the most basic human contact, including touch, because you are afraid of her influence over people, and giving that person access to the internet, through which she could easily influence others long-distance (a possibility that is never mentioned, which seems strange to me in this day of internet recruiting of terrorists).  But mostly, I cannot believe that a woman who had spent her entire life in mental institutions with "minimal human contact" could for an instant pull off her acting jobs as Faith, E, and the psychiatrist.  Look at her as she is portrayed in this episode;  she may be able to be persuasive and to mentally "take over" someone who spent a lot of time with her one-on-one, but no one, ever, would mistake her for a normal human being.

Excellent points!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 22, 2017 6:28 pm  #319

I can only repeat that I adored Eurus in herself and particularly loved her relationship with Sherlock...just wanted to see more.

May 22, 2017 7:25 pm  #320

I don't mind all those flaws in logic. What I mind is the story arch: We are told that Sherlock will move on from what happened at Sherrinford and Musgrave, thst he will grow, that he will deal with what happened in the past and that all this will surely change him - but we don't know if we will be able to watch it.

Those six seconds at the end of TFP are not enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera