BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2017 10:11 pm  #101

Re: Still unexplained secrets?

I get the impression that the Janine scene is later - I'm not sure how much later, but not the day after he got shot.  He's still very, very woozy that day, and seems to have improved by the Janine scene.  So I'm guessing two lots of news (the shooting and the sex) on two different days.  (Although I suppose it's still just possible that the shooting has been covered up for some reason, and Irene finds out through contacts).

February 14, 2017 5:01 am  #102

SusiGo wrote:

Which, by the way, leads me to another curious thing - why do the papers we see in HLV not mention that Sherlock was shot? They only give us the sex gossip spread by Janine. 

Because sex sells. Those "background information" is much more interesting for gossip papers than the shooting.
And yes, Liberty, I feel that the Janine scene is much later because apparently, she'd had time to give all the interviews, being paid for them and even been able to buy a cottage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 14, 2017 6:28 am  #103

I always assumed the shooting had been covered up and didn't realise anybody else thought it had been announced in public.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 14, 2017 8:02 am  #104

Oh, I'll have to watch again.  I just got the impression the public part wasn't part of the story.  I can't think why it would have to be covered up, and Sherlock is a celebrity so it would make news, but no reason to show us that?  Of course, Sherlock and Magnussen are covering up whodunnit. 

February 14, 2017 5:47 pm  #105

Well quite...so what would the public actually be told?
I mean with TRF, we saw the newspaper headlines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 30, 2017 9:50 pm  #106

An extremely weird promo pic. They look like zombies. Unhappy. Sinister. Eerie green light. Not something I would like to put on my wall. 

https://loveismyrevolution.tumblr.com/post/160166531152/gosherlocked-channybatch-dmellieon-holmes

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 30, 2017 9:52 pm  #107

I think it's excellent and says everything about this complex Holmes family.

April 30, 2017 10:15 pm  #108

They look somehow scary. The lightning makes them look strange. And the distance between all members of the family is not what I see in the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 30, 2017 10:17 pm  #109

Exactly. Dysfunctional family if there ever was one. No hint of love or forgiveness. Distance. Unhappiness. This is what I see in this pic. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2017 6:56 am  #110

Well, they are a pretty dysfunctional family in their way!   I kind of like it - Mummy and Daddy did have some responsibility and in the episode it seems like Mycroft gets all the blame for Eurus.   This puts them back in the picture in an uncomfortable way.     However, I agree it's kind of strange - actually looks as if they just told the actors to get into position and they didn't want to!  Or that they were told they were just testing the lighting or something!  Maybe it's because they wouldn't be together like this in "real life". 

May 1, 2017 7:17 am  #111

Well if it's an image to reflect the whole Holmes story, which I take it to be - I think it captures it perfectly.
But I think by the end of series 4, we see the restoration and healing of the whole family.
How much of it was really the parents' fault?
I guess one could argue they could have done more for both Sherlock and Eurus.
But over time Sherlock seemed to gradually forget about both his sister and his best friend, so I can kind of understand them not wanting to re-open that can of worms.
Again, one could point to Sherlock's drug use as a kind of cry for help, but possibly Mycroft convinced the parents he was keeping an eye on Sherlock with that one.
For Eurus, possibly they should have intervened more forcibly sooner, but once Uncle Rudi took control of the situation- it was kind out of their hands.
I do think Mummy's taking of Mycroft's hand was her recognition that she had judged him too harshly.

Last edited by besleybean (May 1, 2017 7:18 am)

May 18, 2017 2:10 pm  #112

So, why did Mary shoot Sherlock in HLV? What was the point of that deed?
It was never explained and the usual explanations like "she was afraid" etc. seem really dubious after both TAB and TST.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 18, 2017 4:07 pm  #113

Sherlock explained it:  to buy her more time, to silence CAM.

May 18, 2017 4:16 pm  #114

Still does not convince me. We have been over this for years but as good as killing Sherlock Holmes to buy time - and then remain friends with - and married to Watson. Nope. 

May 18, 2017 4:23 pm  #115

Sorry I can't help you anymore than that.
I've moved on a Special and a whole new series since then.

May 18, 2017 4:57 pm  #116

besleybean wrote:

Sorry I can't help you anymore than that.
I've moved on a Special and a whole new series since then.

You don't have to, never mind! :-)

I still think that jealousy was part of her motivation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 18, 2017 5:00 pm  #117

Personally I would be very surprised if Sherlock missed that.
He didn't deduce it, I go with what he said.
They seemed to get on really well, Sherlock was clearly devastated by her death and I think he misses Mary.

May 18, 2017 5:19 pm  #118

I think what you'very just written could be exactly the reason why Sherlock missed it.

May 18, 2017 5:23 pm  #119

But Mary did everything she could to keep the boys together...even beyond the grave.

May 18, 2017 7:09 pm  #120

I think S4 backs up taking Sherlock's deduction at face value.  She knew that John could walk in at any minute so she wanted to incapacitate Sherlock (not kill him) and negotiate with (or threaten) him later.  Her threat at the time, didn't work - he just didn't believe her.  I'm glad that in TST they addressed it and it's clear that she felt bad about it (and apologised). 

At a bit of a tangent, but another thing that's revealed in TST is that Mary knows she's a dead woman walking - she doesn't have long and fate is going to catch up with her eventually. 

Last edited by Liberty (May 18, 2017 7:10 pm)

Board footera