BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2017 1:36 am  #1

Rosie's christening

Sherlock, Mrs. Hudson, and Molly all went to little Rosie's christening.  But what about the gray-haired man who stood next to Mrs. Hudson, I wonder?  Could it have been Lestrade, by any chance?  Since the camera showed only the back of his head and not his face, I have no way of knowing, but I really would like to know!  The episode didn't show Lestrade being asked to be one of her godparents, but I'm wondering if perhaps he was.

April 18, 2017 5:43 am  #2

Re: Rosie's christening

I do think that's him there, but no, I don't think he was asked to be godparent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 18, 2017 6:29 am  #3

Good idea for a thread because there was also the lady with the hat in the church. No idea who she was meant to be. And there were also setlock pics of two of the TSoT bridesmaids that were taken when filming the christening. They never appeared in the episode. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 18, 2017 7:54 am  #4

I can't remember the lady with the hat or her age, but could it be Mrs Turner? Could Mary or John have invited some colleagues from work?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 18, 2017 9:25 pm  #5

That's possible. I can't remember the scene exactly, but were these people standing around with John, Mary, Sherlock, et. al., or were they sitting in the church pews? Is it possible that they are people who were at the church service that the christening was performed at?

Clueing for looks.

April 19, 2017 5:34 am  #6

No, they were around the font for the baptism.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 19, 2017 9:38 pm  #7

In that case, I would assume they are miscellaneous friends and family.

Clueing for looks.

April 20, 2017 5:12 pm  #8

Which, I assume, would include Greg, since he's a good friend of John's.

April 20, 2017 5:14 pm  #9

Indeed.

April 20, 2017 5:29 pm  #10

Yitzock wrote:

The problem with family is that Mary herself said she has none and John's has never been shown. We have discussed this already with regard to the wedding where most of the guests seem like strangers, not really connected to the couple. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 20, 2017 5:32 pm  #11

I honestly think they were mainly just scene dressing...but I do think that is Greg at the baptism.

April 20, 2017 6:51 pm  #12

Just because we don't know who they are doesn't mean they don't have a connection to the characters involved. Just not important to the story. But yeah, scene dressing is what I think would be a good way of describing it.

Clueing for looks.

April 20, 2017 6:53 pm  #13

Yes, for me, these people are irrelevant.

April 21, 2017 10:10 pm  #14

SusiGo wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

The problem with family is that Mary herself said she has none and John's has never been shown. We have discussed this already with regard to the wedding where most of the guests seem like strangers, not really connected to the couple. 

Good point.  Harry couldn't be bothered to come to John and Mary's wedding, so she most likely couldn't be bothered to come to Rosie's christening either.  And John and Harry's parents are most likely dead; they would have surely come to their granddaughter's christening if they were still alive.  So the christening party, of necessity, consisted solely of some of their friends, including Lestrade.

Last edited by kgreen20 (April 21, 2017 10:11 pm)

April 22, 2017 7:34 am  #15

I also think a drunk Harry would be even less welcome at a baptism than she would have been at the wedding!

April 22, 2017 11:32 am  #16

I apologise for being such a puritan, but being tee total, I never find drunk people amusing.
But it's not all about me!
No I meant, I think it could have been seen quite inappropriate for a drunk at a baptism...though I know you have all of that pathetic 'wetting the baby's head' tradition.

April 22, 2017 4:05 pm  #17

I don't think it would have been that funny in the context of a baptism. Sherlock being on his phone was enough. That episode already had a lot happening in it, too.

Clueing for looks.

April 22, 2017 4:58 pm  #18

It sure did.

April 22, 2017 6:14 pm  #19

Indeed.

April 22, 2017 9:21 pm  #20

Well, I would have liked to see Harry - at the christening, the wedding, anytime at all. But she is a phantom, similar to Uncle Rudi who never appears in person. 

Board footera