BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2017 10:23 am  #21

Re: The Sound of Sherlock

I certainly think they possibly had to squeeze two series into one, because of them coming to a possible end..
But I actually agree with Mark on this one: we are an intelligent audience, we don't need everything spelling out to us.
For me, as Liberty said, it's the little things that make it.
The slight squeeze of the hand, John's reaction when Sherlock acknowledges John as family...no words necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 14, 2017 12:23 pm  #22

Liberty wrote:

That's interesting that the violin duet is meant to be the saddest piece of music ever,  I don't hear it that way ... to me, it feels as if there is a positive note there too.  Maybe it's because when it's on screen it transitions into the Sherlock theme and the happy ending.

Yeah they also talked about the transition in the music and that it's clear that when it changes to the Sherlock theme it's no longer Sherlock and Eurus playing it as they wouldn't know the music of the Sherlock universe and then they talked/joked briefly that in Dallas and James Bond their themes were played in show by characters. 

I think even if Sue's note was it had to be the saddest music ever it definitely comes across, to me at least, as a positive moment between Sherlock, Eurus and the whole Holmes family.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

April 14, 2017 12:25 pm  #23

But can we agree it's happy at the end?!
It certainly gains momentum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 14, 2017 12:30 pm  #24

I don't think there is any dispute that it ends on a positive note?

April 14, 2017 12:52 pm  #25

No, I didn't think Sherlock and Eurus actually play the Sherlock theme (just that we know it's coming, so it puts a positive slant on the rest!), but even before the transition it sounds kind of positive to me.  And what we see on screen is more positive too, if moving.  I was quite surprised to hear that it was supposed to be the saddest piece ever!   It's a lovely piece of music.  I wish it was longer.

April 14, 2017 12:56 pm  #26

Ah yes, now some more of the technicalities are coming back to me...well the geeky film stuff, like we he have to remember that we as an audience are not seeing things exactly in sequence,as they happen...as it were!
The whole end sequence is set against a series of images of Sherlock and then the whole Holmes family at Sherrinford.

April 14, 2017 1:31 pm  #27

Liberty wrote:

No, I didn't think Sherlock and Eurus actually play the Sherlock theme (just that we know it's coming, so it puts a positive slant on the rest!), but even before the transition it sounds kind of positive to me.  And what we see on screen is more positive too, if moving.  I was quite surprised to hear that it was supposed to be the saddest piece ever!   It's a lovely piece of music.  I wish it was longer.

It's definitely a lovely piece of music and I agree, it doesn't sound like the saddest piece of music ever, maybe David and Michael decided not to take Sue's note on board haha.

April 14, 2017 1:43 pm  #28

It is sad at the start, though.

April 14, 2017 2:29 pm  #29

Ok, so maybe she said saddest piece of music at the start 

April 14, 2017 2:31 pm  #30

Were you in Steven's talk, too?
Didn't he talk about Irene's theme?

April 14, 2017 4:53 pm  #31

No I didn't go to Steven's talk.

April 14, 2017 4:55 pm  #32

I think I mentioned, I nearly cried when he was presented with his award!

Board footera