BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2017 8:45 pm  #1

The Sound of Sherlock

Is this the right place?
Anyhow, my pal very kindly purchased me a ticket for this.
It was hosted by Matthew Sweet and the panel was David, Michael, Sue and Mark.
David made my night by relating the account of his first viewing of A Study in Pink and it was just like my own experience: the best TV ever.
I learned tons of stuff and as with the other talks, great to see the clips.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 9, 2017 10:21 pm  #2

Re: The Sound of Sherlock

What this about the composition of the music and such?

Clueing for looks.

April 10, 2017 7:27 am  #3

Yes it was and I should maybe have said so!
Some of the technical stuff was quite interesting, but I was more interested in the talk of how the music reflects both the character and mood of the individuals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 10, 2017 7:58 pm  #4

It sounds like it would have been interesting. I like that kind of stuff.

Clueing for looks.

April 10, 2017 8:44 pm  #5

I particularly responded to the sequence dealing with Sherlock and Eurus communicating through their violins.

April 11, 2017 6:05 am  #6

Oh, did they talk about that?  I loved that bit! 

April 11, 2017 6:51 am  #7

Yes.
I remain sad that not everyone appreciates this part of the series.
For me, Sherlock healing Eurus was the climax of the show.

They also showed the sad John music from right at the start, followed by the whole room saying: who was that child playing John Watson?
Martin has aged about 20 years in the last 7, I think!

Somebody(and I actually can't remember who) was saying how they cry every time they hear the Irene theme.

April 11, 2017 6:58 pm  #8

Speaking of the Irene theme, did they mention "play you"?  That was such an interesting line. 

I think they excelled themselves with Season 4 music.  Up with my favourites (the Sherlocked theme, and the music playing at 221B when Sherlock tries to reconcile John and Mary in HLV - I don't remember the title of it.

April 11, 2017 7:10 pm  #9

Actually, I was almost disappointed with S4 music since so much of it was only rehash of S3 music. I did love the violin themes, though.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 13, 2017 10:03 pm  #10

Glad you got a ticket Besley!

It was very interesting to hear how the music was created, specifically in terms of the themes and emotions they wanted to get across.

They showed the clip from ASiP of John waking up from his nightmare about Afghanistan and talked about how his and Sherlock's theme (and other pieces) are based around the same chords which ties the music together in the world of Sherlock and I think it was David who then joked that actually it's just because they're lazy.

They also showed Sherlock's revival in HLV, which was great to see on the big screen (all the clips were, I'd love to watch all the episodes in the cinema!) and they talked about how it was 5 beat piece of music which gives the audience a slightly uneasy feel and how the build up of the music almost wills him alive.

It was interesting to hear that they created the violin duet for Sherlock and Eurus (Sue said in a week and that her direction was it has to be the saddest piece of music ever...no pressure) but had to rework it a little after the scenes had been filmed and edited together to try and sync with Benedict and Sian's violin acting.

What really got me really excited is that they confirmed they are working on another Sherlock concert!

Last edited by Lis (April 13, 2017 10:04 pm)

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

April 14, 2017 7:31 am  #11

It was so kind of my pal to treat me...I think she did it in compensation for my not managing for Tom!
Yes I'm excited about the concert too, but always tempered with the reality of the chances of it coinciding with one of my London trips!

April 14, 2017 7:38 am  #12

That's interesting that the violin duet is meant to be the saddest piece of music ever,  I don't hear it that way ... to me, it feels as if there is a positive note there too.  Maybe it's because when it's on screen it transitions into the Sherlock theme and the happy ending.

April 14, 2017 7:42 am  #13

Well following on from Lis' brilliant description, if I might be so bold as to add a bit...
This was actually the most interesting part of the talk and how I understood it was this:  they played the whole final sequence of the show(Mary and all) and they explained how it starts off very sad(for me when Eurus is broken) and ends up joyous as Sherlock has reached Eurus through music...
They referred to  a deleted scene where it is actually stated that Sherlock has cured Eurus.  But they felt it didn't need to be said, it was shown in the sequence and with the music- I agree!

Last edited by besleybean (April 14, 2017 7:43 am)

April 14, 2017 8:58 am  #14

besleybean wrote:

They referred to  a deleted scene where it is actually stated that Sherlock has cured Eurus.

Cured? So she doesn't have to be in an institution anymore?
I felt that Sherlock connected with Eurus and gave her emotional context, but cured? I think she was shown to be beyond cure, tbh.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 14, 2017 8:59 am  #15

Well, come on, you know me and my hyperbole- at least regarding Sherlock!
I can't actually remember the exact words they used.
But knowing Mark, it was probably something more like: to show that Sherlock had reached Eurus.
I definitely think the whole point was that even Eurus was not totally beyond redemption, she too had a kind of happy ending.

Last edited by besleybean (April 14, 2017 9:01 am)

April 14, 2017 9:08 am  #16

Thank you for the clarification.
Being unable to attend such events I have to cling to every word from you lucky people

-----

April 14, 2017 9:12 am  #17

To be fair, it is shown in the sequence.
The music does become happier and definitely Sherlock is smiling at Eurus in the end...can't remember if she actually smiles back.
But it certainly seems to tie in with Mummy squeezing Mycroft's hand, it seems to be confirmation that the whole family are back together again.

April 14, 2017 10:07 am  #18

Aww, Mummy squeezing Mycroft's hand is one of my favourite bits of the whole series!  It's possibly Mycroft who goes through a bigger journey than Sherlock there - for us, at least - we always knew Sherlock was human, but Mycroft hid it better up until the end!

April 14, 2017 10:09 am  #19

Just all fabulous stuff...which is why I really don't get people not loving this ending.

April 14, 2017 10:19 am  #20

Eurus does try to smile! Her cheek sort of twitches. Awesome acting there!

And Mycroft's development was so major that it seemed a little rushed to me :o

-----

Board footera