BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2017 5:18 pm  #41

Re: What happened to John Watson?

I can see a way in which it might work, but I don't really have much trouble with what we got. Especially since it includes Martin's finest acting moments to date. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 17, 2017 7:14 pm  #42

I am very busy right now, but you really have an interesting discussion, so here are a few comments at least.

First, Vhanja is right, as far as I see: "BBC John Watson is the most fleshed-out and developed/nuanced Watson of all versions." Even if Watson is actually only in the Rathbone movies (played bei Nigel Bruce) the bumbling and stupid sidekick, just as nakahara said.

I think there are two reasons, why John Watson in most versions is not very fleshed out as a character. First, in the original stories he is the narrator and therefore remains rather in the background, because the theme is Sherlock Holmes. Of course we learn a lot about John nevertheless, but more or less incidentally. And secondly: the BBC series defines John very clearly about his PTSD. This is a good idea, and basically it is already in Doyle's stories if you look closely (maybe I can do this particularly well - I am unfit for work because of PTSD myself). But PTSD was a thing that had not yet been known and explored at Doyle's time. At that time one saw that people who had experienced war (or the like) were kind of "somehow strange", but one has not thought much further about it. Here the BBC version sets free something  which was always there, and it defines the character exactly by that, which I find quite exciting.

And, about the fainting: no, that would not have worked in the movie, for a very simple reason. In the original story Sherlock arranges the  reunion in a way that he and John are alone. But in the movie the same scene takes place in an restaurant full of people. There the reaction to a person who faints is forseeable; a lot of people would intermingle, and there would be no chance of a reunion scene. No, if they wanted to have this scene in public (which I do not like very well), they had it to do without the fainting, in my opinion.

March 17, 2017 7:18 pm  #43

You make some great points, athameg. And we've seen throughout the series (in particular in TRF) how John quickly returns to the stiff upper lip when there are people around, watching. So he would never faint in public. (It is interesting, though, that he views aggression as a more acceptable emotion to show in public).

Edit: There is a lot of focus on how repressed John is, emotionally. Which is very true, all the way back to ASiP. John has always bottled everything. Which, when I think of it, gives TLD, another great layer.

1. It gives the horryfing consequences when John stops bottling his anger and it ends up as horrible violece towards Sherlock
2. It also gives the most amazing consequences when, for the first time, John dares to let his guard down infront of someone else.

Remember back in ASIP when John wakes from his nightmare. He is so repressed he can't even cry when alone. In TBB he is so ashamed of the "row with the machine" that he just walks out, and only with great difficulty does he ask Sherlock for money. In TRF, only minutes after Sherlock falls, he again bottles up, dismisses any comfort from other people, giving "I'm fine" vibe to the people surrounding him.

For John to not only cry in front of Sherlock, but to also accept is comfort, is huge. More than huge, it's enormous. Something we have never seen him doing before. 

People keep asking for his apology to Sherlock. Which I wouldn't have minded myself. But considering where John comes from, there is no bigger leap of trust than what John gives Sherlock in that moment. And I get the impression that Sherlock understands all this. Sherlock has never been wiser than he is in that hug.

Last edited by Vhanja (March 17, 2017 9:30 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 17, 2017 10:31 pm  #44

Well said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 17, 2017 10:32 pm  #45

Vhanja wrote:

For John to not only cry in front of Sherlock, but to also accept is comfort, is huge. More than huge, it's enormous. Something we have never seen him doing before. 

People keep asking for his apology to Sherlock. Which I wouldn't have minded myself. But considering where John comes from, there is no bigger leap of trust than what John gives Sherlock in that moment. And I get the impression that Sherlock understands all this. Sherlock has never been wiser than he is in that hug.

Beautifully said. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 18, 2017 11:35 am  #46

I didn't necessarily want an apology from John to Sherlock, although I imagine if there had been one it would have been well written but maybe just a moment where Sherlock's injuries where somehow highlighted (not necessarily discussed out loud but maybe a subtle wince in pain from Sherlock or something) and John, with his amazing facial expressions, looks a little guilty but there was his admission that it wasn't Sherlock's fault that Mary was killed and I think that was a more important factor that needed to be addressed.

The hug was such a beautiful moment, John could no longer contain all of the emotion had been holding inside and Sherlock without a second thought simply holds and comforts him. There is so much trust between them in that moment and like you say Vhanja, the wisdom and emotional growth from Sherlock shines through, it really shows how far he has come from series one.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

March 18, 2017 11:37 am  #47

I think both Sherlock and John learned and awful lot about themselves, particularly from the death of Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 18, 2017 7:25 pm  #48

It's true: both Sherlock and John learned an awful lot about themselves, and so much trust between them is an new thing and really moving.

Vhanja said, John is repressed emotionally, he has always bottled up everything. And that is very true, in my opinion. John has been at war, he was wounded, he has seen terrible things, undoubtedly over a long period of time. Therefore he suffers PTSD. And that is the key to his behaviour. I am kind of expert in this, because I have lived in a very extreme situation for some time (details are unimportant, that's boring for anyone else). In such a situation one learns mainly one thing: survive, everything else does not matter. Emotions are luxury. And weakness is not a good idea, because if you are weak you will perhaps not survive. And if you still have feelings, you do not risk any feelings that look like weakness. You will not cry (I cannot cry, not even when I am alone). Being aggressive is much easier because being aggressive is not weak. And you have the excuse "it is not my fault that I have PTSD". That is why you do not apologize. Apologizing is weak.

And if someone like John is actually able to be weak, to cry, even in the presence of someone else, it is an incredible improvement. And if Sherlock, the alleged "psychopath", can react accordingly this is an equally incredible improvement. - I know, "happy end" is a terribly stupid concept. But this is a happy end. One of the most beautiful I know.

March 18, 2017 7:27 pm  #49

I know and not even the last episode!

March 18, 2017 9:04 pm  #50

Wonderfully said, athameg!

Team Hudders!

March 18, 2017 9:53 pm  #51

Thanks! - And, of course, it is not really the "end". But it is a scene that changes a lot.

March 18, 2017 9:54 pm  #52

Oh yes, so much progress for our boys.

March 18, 2017 10:40 pm  #53

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I think the on screen doctoring we do see in Sherlock is limited by the creator's actual knowledge of science, anatomy, medical stuff. They just throw stuff in occasionally to remind us that he's a doctor, but the fact that he is a doctor isn't an integral part of the story, unless it absolutely needs to be. This series is, and always has been, more about the characters' relationships with one another than anything else, and that allows for a lot of creative license.

A lot of the choices they made for John in S4 and the direction they took him in, which really started in S3 E1 with John's reaction to Sherlock's faked death, have definitely shocked me and surprised me. It's not the John Watson we know from canon who fainted when Sherlock revealed that he was alive, but then, this isn't the canon and this isn't that era. This is modern era Sherlock Holmes where people respond and react differently, and this John Watson is just one interpretation of the character. Whether you agree with the direction they've taken him in or not, it's certainly made for some interesting discussion.

To some extent I can understand his anger and frustration at Sherlock. I get that he was pissed at him for faking his death. He appeared to get over that by the end of S3 although I suspect there's still some bitterness lingering that may resurface occasionally into banter. I get that he was pissed at him over Mary, and that he blamed him. That was his immediate reaction, even if it was the wrong one, but I did feel it was slightly over dramatic and dragged on for a little too long. Because it really wasn't Sherlock's fault that she made that decision. She CHOSE to jump in front of that bullet, and they wouldn't have all been there in the first place if it wasn't for Mary's shitty past and the fact that Sherlock was trying to help her. So yeah, I can understand John's initial anger but I felt it was misplaced for it to go on for so long, and the way he beat him up in TLD was pretty difficult to watch.

Some of you mentioned the other characters...

I've always felt as though Molly has been little more than a plot device, and that felt particularly true in S4. I had hoped she'd moved on from her hopeless doting on Sherlock Holmes but clearly not. And now her emotional state is going to be worse than ever because of that scene in the flat. I think they need to do something more exciting/interesting with her character development or kill her off, tbh.

Mycroft, on the other hand, has developed wonderfully. We always knew there was a softer side somewhere and now we've seen it. We know for a fact now that both brothers DO care, it's not just Sherlock. Mycroft has emotions too. Shock horror. I mean really, we knew it all along, I've just been dying to actually see it on screen. The moment in TFP when Mycroft tried to get Sherlock to shoot him was the highlight of his character development so far. We've seen hints at it, but this was the ultimate pay off. I'd be interested to see where it goes from there and where it leaves them as brothers and their relationship with one another. 

Yeah, really!  It would indeed be interesting to see where their relationship goes from here, if a 5th season is ever filmed.  And as a John Watson fan, I'd also love to see John and Mycroft's own relationship developing.  So far, what they have in common has been their combined concern for Sherlock, as their periodic discussions indicate, but with Mary dead, his own parents also dead and his alcoholic older sister unable to be there for him when he needs her, and John a now-single father with issues from his past he still needs to resolve, I'd love to see the Holmeses take him and Rosie under their wing.  He's shown concern for Sherlock over the past 4 seasons, so I'd like to see Sherlock and Mycroft (as well as their parents) showing concern for John in the next.

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 18, 2017 10:52 pm)

March 18, 2017 10:41 pm  #54

besleybean wrote:

Thank goodness for us that he gets over it!

I agree!

March 18, 2017 10:45 pm  #55

Vhanja wrote:

You make some great points, athameg. And we've seen throughout the series (in particular in TRF) how John quickly returns to the stiff upper lip when there are people around, watching. So he would never faint in public. (It is interesting, though, that he views aggression as a more acceptable emotion to show in public).

Edit: There is a lot of focus on how repressed John is, emotionally. Which is very true, all the way back to ASiP. John has always bottled everything. Which, when I think of it, gives TLD, another great layer.

1. It gives the horryfing consequences when John stops bottling his anger and it ends up as horrible violece towards Sherlock
2. It also gives the most amazing consequences when, for the first time, John dares to let his guard down infront of someone else.

Remember back in ASIP when John wakes from his nightmare. He is so repressed he can't even cry when alone. In TBB he is so ashamed of the "row with the machine" that he just walks out, and only with great difficulty does he ask Sherlock for money. In TRF, only minutes after Sherlock falls, he again bottles up, dismisses any comfort from other people, giving "I'm fine" vibe to the people surrounding him.

You've made some good points.  However, John still has more healing to go through, and I want there to be at least one more season just for that.

March 18, 2017 10:46 pm  #56

Well we'd all like one...sadly this doesn't mean we'll get one.

March 18, 2017 10:49 pm  #57

athameg wrote:

It's true: both Sherlock and John learned an awful lot about themselves, and so much trust between them is an new thing and really moving.

Vhanja said, John is repressed emotionally, he has always bottled up everything. And that is very true, in my opinion. John has been at war, he was wounded, he has seen terrible things, undoubtedly over a long period of time. Therefore he suffers PTSD. And that is the key to his behaviour. I am kind of expert in this, because I have lived in a very extreme situation for some time (details are unimportant, that's boring for anyone else). In such a situation one learns mainly one thing: survive, everything else does not matter. Emotions are luxury. And weakness is not a good idea, because if you are weak you will perhaps not survive. And if you still have feelings, you do not risk any feelings that look like weakness. You will not cry (I cannot cry, not even when I am alone). Being aggressive is much easier because being aggressive is not weak. And you have the excuse "it is not my fault that I have PTSD". That is why you do not apologize. Apologizing is weak.

And if someone like John is actually able to be weak, to cry, even in the presence of someone else, it is an incredible improvement. And if Sherlock, the alleged "psychopath", can react accordingly this is an equally incredible improvement. - I know, "happy end" is a terribly stupid concept. But this is a happy end. One of the most beautiful I know.

That John still has healing from his war experiences to go through cannot be doubted.  I rather suspect, though, that in his case, it's more than that.  Here's a Web page that explains why may also be the case with John:

http://esterbrook.tumblr.com/post/104562523718/something-has-been-niggling-at-the-back-of-my-mind

If the author is right, John not only needs to complete his recovery from the trauma of war, he also needs to recover from childhood traumas.  Another season--or, at least, another one-shot episode--would be ideal to cover that.

March 18, 2017 10:51 pm  #58

I am really not sure about the childhood trauma thing with John, I mean we've had all that with Sherlock...though I suppose there is some kind of symmetry with them both having sister issues!
But, the point may be moot, anyway.

March 18, 2017 10:51 pm  #59

I would like to know more about John and, yes, there seem to be issues in his life that have not been solved. But the focus has been so much on Sherlock and his family that I am not sure we will get more John history. If there will be a series 5, however, I am all for it and I really would love to meet Harry. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 18, 2017 10:53 pm  #60

besleybean wrote:

Well we'd all like one...sadly this doesn't mean we'll get one.

Well, one can only hope, and maybe if we all barrage them with emails, maybe they'll give us one!

Board footera