BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2017 4:47 pm  #2001

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

I am currently reading the sequel to The Breaking Wheel, and oddly enough I find this a tougher read. Just as well-written and well-researched as any of her writing, but this is rough territory! I feel so bad for them (and sometimes I want to slap Sherlock at the back of his head and tell him to get a grip, but I know that is a Bit Not Good).

Last edited by Vhanja (March 1, 2017 4:47 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 1, 2017 4:59 pm  #2002

Yes, it is not an easy read but tbh, I am really glad to read something without Mary and the fall and all that stuff. It could have been written pre-S3. It it tough but completely centred on Sherlock and John which is wonderful. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 5, 2017 3:38 pm  #2003

I am usually find with things being rough and angsty, but I am bordeirng on flat out disliking this version of Sherlock some times. But it IS a different Sherlock than from the series, with quite a lot of issues and a different background story. And that's what keeps it interesting even if he annoys the heck out of me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 7, 2017 3:19 pm  #2004

Thanks for the recommendation of Nature&Nurture! It was fantastic

Now I want to recommend you all this fic: The Pieces that Fall to Earth, by Itsallfine (I did a quick search and I think it hasn't been recommended yet).

It's an extremely cute post S4 WIP (+30k words so far) that narrates the story through different written texts, i.e. text messages, Ella's notes about her appointments with S&J, emails, letters, etc. At first I was a bit reluctant to read an epistolary fiction, but the author does it great and uses tons of resources, like showing us the messages the characters write but don't send. It's very fun to read and very witty. 

It's also a very healthy fic, focused on both John and Sherlock healing their issues before they are properly ready to enter a relationship. I'm finding it very healing for myself as a fan, after everything that happened in S4.

I'm following it as a WIP and the wait it's not too painful since it's updated daily. But I'm sure it will be very satisfying once it's finished in case you prefer to wait. 

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

March 7, 2017 3:28 pm  #2005

Thank you, I am subscribed to this as well. I have not started yet but what write sounds lovely. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 13, 2017 8:24 am  #2006

Elemental wrote:

Now I want to recommend you all this fic: The Pieces that Fall to Earth, by Itsallfine (I did a quick search and I think it hasn't been recommended yet).

It's an extremely cute post S4 WIP (+30k words so far) that narrates the story through different written texts, i.e. text messages, Ella's notes about her appointments with S&J, emails, letters, etc. At first I was a bit reluctant to read an epistolary fiction, but the author does it great and uses tons of resources, like showing us the messages the characters write but don't send. It's very fun to read and very witty. 

It's also a very healthy fic, focused on both John and Sherlock healing their issues before they are properly ready to enter a relationship. I'm finding it very healing for myself as a fan, after everything that happened in S4.

I'm following it as a WIP and the wait it's not too painful since it's updated daily. But I'm sure it will be very satisfying once it's finished in case you prefer to wait. 

I have to second this rec. What an amazing, healing, hilarious and adorable fic! It deals properly will all the issues we have talked about (John's mixed feelings (or lack thereof) towards Mary, Sherlock's lack of self-worth, John's violent streak and anger issues and much, much more). 

It's really incredibly satisifying and healing to read after S4, I highly recommend it. You should be safe to start it now, as we are (per now) up to chapter 79 and the story is set to end at chapter 82 - and we often receive several chapter updates daily. 

And don't get "scared" of the high chapter count, most chapters are short and very quick and easy to read due to the epistolary narrative.

Team Hudders!

March 13, 2017 12:04 pm  #2007

Elemental wrote:

I had bookmarked this one but not started it because it was a WIP.  However, if you guys say it's updated daily and has lots of short chapters, I might have to go ahead and start. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 13, 2017 12:27 pm  #2008

I have subscribed, too, and will start as soon as it is finished. 

March 13, 2017 12:44 pm  #2009

It's not always updated daily, but it is updated several times a week. Not uncommon with several chapters in one day, either. And seeing as there are only three chapters left, the fic is probably completed before you reach the 70s anyway.

Edit: Oh, I just read chapter 79 and that is the last chapter of the main story. The rest is epilogues, which will come once a day. :D

Last edited by Vhanja (March 13, 2017 2:16 pm)

Team Hudders!

March 14, 2017 12:33 pm  #2010

Vhanja wrote:

It's not always updated daily, but it is updated several times a week. Not uncommon with several chapters in one day, either. And seeing as there are only three chapters left, the fic is probably completed before you reach the 70s anyway.

Edit: Oh, I just read chapter 79 and that is the last chapter of the main story. The rest is epilogues, which will come once a day. :D

Couldn't resist.  Started it yesterday at lunch and it was like eating chips, I couldn't stop!  Read up to Chapter 51 before I knew it.   Will more than likely finish today.  It is so sweet and perfect.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 14, 2017 1:44 pm  #2011

Wow, that's some progress! But good comparison - it is just like chips. One chapter is impossible.

And now chapter 80, the first epilogue, is out. 

Team Hudders!

March 14, 2017 3:07 pm  #2012

They did an excellent job with the Epistolary format.  Very enjoyable.  And I love the way they wrote John and Sherlock. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 14, 2017 7:06 pm  #2013

tonnaree wrote:

They did an excellent job with the Epistolary format.  Very enjoyable.  And I love the way they wrote John and Sherlock. 

Couldn't agree more. One of those fics that I find so enjoyable my toes curl. 

Team Hudders!

March 14, 2017 7:25 pm  #2014

I'm so happy that you guys enjoyed the rec and also that more people get to read this awesome fic. 
I'm so high on the Johnlock fluff that I may finally try the Paradox Series. I don't know. All the Best and Brightest was intense.

Is anybody following The James Holmes Chronicles? It's supposed to be updated soon. Book number two (The Risk of Absence) is so far one of my favourites fics plot wise. And I love the James character and the very realistic way his relationship with Sherlock is written.

"It is what it is"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

March 14, 2017 7:34 pm  #2015

Thanks so much for recommending it, I loved it. 

The Paradox series is slightly different. There isn't really a clear story/narrative in the same way, so it's sort of kind of less dramatic and intense. The entire story revolve around the relationship between Sherlock and John, and Sherlock as a character. Hard to explain, really. It's just toe-curlingly awesome from start to finish.

I haven't read those Chronicles, I am in general sceptical towards reading Johnlock that is written from someone else's perspective than Sherlock or John. But perhaps I will give it a go sometime.

If you are looking for more Johnlock fluff, I can recommend The White Lotuses. Pure romance.  

Team Hudders!

March 14, 2017 7:48 pm  #2016

Vhanja wrote:

Thanks so much for recommending it, I loved it. 

The Paradox series is slightly different. There isn't really a clear story/narrative in the same way, so it's sort of kind of less dramatic and intense. The entire story revolve around the relationship between Sherlock and John, and Sherlock as a character. Hard to explain, really. It's just toe-curlingly awesome from start to finish.

I haven't read those Chronicles, I am in general sceptical towards reading Johnlock that is written from someone else's perspective than Sherlock or John. But perhaps I will give it a go sometime.

If you are looking for more Johnlock fluff, I can recommend The White Lotuses. Pure romance.  

Yay fluff!

The James Holmes Chronicles are, despite the name, written from Sherlock's perspective. One of the parts does have scenes written from either James' or John's perspective, but I haven't read that one. I agree with you: I read The blog of Eugenia Watson and, even though it's very well written and Eugenia is a lovely character, I did miss a closer perspective on John and Sherlock's relationship.

If you feel curious about it, maybe give it a go sometime. James is one of the off canon characters that has felt more real for me since I started reading fanfic and, as I said, part 2 is a real page turner and the plot is very well constructed and resolved.

But do be ready to put up with Mary (and a pretty angry and cold post-Reichenbach John) during most of part 1 .

"It is what it is"

March 14, 2017 7:58 pm  #2017

Oh, thanks, I might give it a go, then.

Team Hudders!

March 14, 2017 8:49 pm  #2018

I can recommend them as well. The writing and characterisations are awesome and often heartbreaking. James is one of my favourite OCs.

March 14, 2017 9:49 pm  #2019

I've bookmarked the series.

Team Hudders!

March 15, 2017 12:48 pm  #2020

The James Holmes series has been on my list for a long time.  Maybe I should dive in. 

SO MUCH TO READ!!!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera