BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2017 12:45 pm  #361

Re: John's evovlement throughout the show

You both Liberty and SusiGo have a point. I even think it may have been better for John had Mary been what he thought at first instead of an adventurer. Maybe if she had been happy as a primary caregiver, John could have come back to sharing a lot of time with Sherlock and have Mary and the baby as well. But you are right, SusiGo: three is a crowd, and someone has to take care of the baby. And neither John nor Mary seem very enthusiastic about it, thus the sense of "something is missing".

Last edited by Elemental (February 23, 2017 12:47 pm)

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

February 23, 2017 3:26 pm  #362

It might have been better for John if Mary had been who he wanted her to be. But as you guys mention, I don't think that would have worked in the long run anyway. It would always be a difficult dynamic to manage, the three (four) of them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2017 4:43 pm  #363

Sadly the point is moot, now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2017 8:04 pm  #364

It's still the three of them: two men and a baby.  There is no way that that can work either.

February 23, 2017 8:07 pm  #365

I would hope it could, but we might not see it, anyway.
I maintain that John still has his own house at the end of S 4, anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 24, 2017 8:32 am  #366

kgreen20 wrote:

It's still the three of them: two men and a baby.  There is no way that that can work either.

I could agree on that. But this time would be based more on my own opinion. According to what is shown on screen during the last scenes of TFP, it does work better. Of course we can only see literally seconds. But those are the seconds the writers decided to show us, to create a very specific feeling that, to me, is the feeling that they have arrived to a good place as adventure partners.

besleybean wrote:

I would hope it could, but we might not see it, anyway.
I maintain that John still has his own house at the end of S 4, anyway. 

Yeah, as much as my Johnlock heart wants to picture them parentlocking like crazy in 221B, John staying at his house makes more sense.

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

February 24, 2017 8:38 am  #367

The baby doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a problem as we anticipated.  She's practically non-existent throughout TLD, despite John rushing off on Sherlock-related business at short notice.   So there is that precedent if they were to continue - that Rosie would just be a background presence, who doesn't cause any practical problems!

February 24, 2017 11:23 am  #368

I absolutely love this little analysis of John (and Sherlock). It's like someone took my thoughts right out of my head and put them on paper (or on screen, to be more exact). I agree with every word.

http://nemoholmes.tumblr.com/post/157646988306/tldjohn-or-just-john

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 24, 2017 12:24 pm  #369

I like a lot of it, but the writer doesn't speak for me when talking about why we forgive Sherlock for faking his death.  I forgive him because he was trying to save the world in the best way he knew how.  If he'd faked his death because he was angry and wanted to hurt John, then that would be much more difficult to forgive. 

But I do think the end of TLD kind of resolves their relationship, and "forgives" John. 

Board footera