BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2017 8:04 pm  #201

Re: TLD Headscratchers

I think at that point John was still angry with Sherlock and probably thought and said all kinds of things about him that he didn't truly mean, like for example later in the episode when he said that Sherlock had killed Mary. I'm sure that when his thoughts are not consumed by anger and grief he doesn't actually see Sherlock as a monster.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

February 2, 2017 8:05 pm  #202

Well he did execute a guy...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 2, 2017 8:06 pm  #203

True, but I still don't believe John truly sees Sherlock as a monster.

John also executed the cabbie so he can't really talk haha.

Last edited by Lis (February 2, 2017 8:07 pm)

February 2, 2017 8:08 pm  #204

I was going to say that, but then he did think Sherlock was about to die.
He wasn't the one who squashed his shoe down on a dying man.

Last edited by besleybean (February 2, 2017 8:08 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 2, 2017 8:15 pm  #205

Again, all true. I'm not debating who is above who in terms of morals, although personally I think they have both done some questionable and also very honourable things, it's just my personal belief that whatever Sherlock may have done John doesn't truly see him as a monster...and neither do I.

February 2, 2017 8:17 pm  #206

I agree on both counts.

February 2, 2017 10:26 pm  #207

Lis wrote:

I think at that point John was still angry with Sherlock and probably thought and said all kinds of things about him that he didn't truly mean, like for example later in the episode when he said that Sherlock had killed Mary. I'm sure that when his thoughts are not consumed by anger and grief he doesn't actually see Sherlock as a monster.

I generally agree, but I´m still intrigued by the wording in that scene. Mary / John´s subconcious literally said: "Despite being the cleverest man, he is not a monster...." 
To me it seems as if the main issue John has with Sherlock is his cleverness... he regards this cleverness as monstrous.
John saw many atrocities in the actual war, so Sherlock killing Magnussen can´t be his real issue - he experienced much worse.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 3, 2017 12:22 am  #208

nakahara wrote:

Lis wrote:

I generally agree, but I´m still intrigued by the wording in that scene. Mary / John´s subconcious literally said: "Despite being the cleverest man, he is not a monster...." 
To me it seems as if the main issue John has with Sherlock is his cleverness... he regards this cleverness as monstrous.
John saw many atrocities in the actual war, so Sherlock killing Magnussen can´t be his real issue - he experienced much worse.

Yeah it does seem like Sherlock's cleverness is the reason for John calling him monster but I think this could still be due to John's anger and upset towards Sherlock. John is still angry with Sherlock because of what happened to Mary (possibly John at that time thinks that Sherlock's cleverness and his need to show off is what got Mary killed, although he didn't actually see what happened) and in that moment he is also angry/upset that Sherlock has barged back in to his life by being his usual clever self seemingly knowing what decisions John would make long before he made them. Due to his anger/upset John is not thinking clearly and is only focused on the fact that Sherlock is clever. In his mind he reduces Sherlock down to the single quality of being clever, ignoring his humanity and any other qualities and, as shown with Eurus later, cleverness without humanity can create a monster. 

February 3, 2017 6:38 am  #209

Yes, I am only glad that by the end of S 4, we are all heart...with all of the characters.

February 11, 2017 10:04 pm  #210

What happened with Bill Wiggins, I wonder? Was he just used for Sherlock´s plan and then unceremoniously kicked back to the street?
Even if he was a junkie, he was a human being with feelings and some dignity....
Or was he in cahoots with Sherlock in all this?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 11, 2017 10:05 pm  #211

He left voluntarily!

February 11, 2017 10:16 pm  #212

Really? Then why was Sherlock screaming at him and (based on the sounds of their fight) violently kicking him out a minute before he left (ran away)?

February 11, 2017 10:18 pm  #213

I just took it that Billy left because he couldn't stand Sherlock rampaging about.

February 11, 2017 10:20 pm  #214

besleybean wrote:

I just took it that Billy left because he couldn't stand Sherlock rampaging about.

He was running away like he was scared, actually.

May 29, 2017 7:15 pm  #215

I am still trying to wrap my head around Sherlock's behaviour in this episode. How much of his behaviour was down to drug-induced paranoia and how much was deliberate?

I am in particular talking about him losing it when he realises he wasn't visited by Culverton-Smith's daughter. Was he really losing it or was he acting? Was everything he did part of the end game? Did he deduce that it wasn't Smith's daughter, that it would lead to a confrotation, that he acted paranoid, that John would beat him up and that would end him in Smith's hopsital so John could save him?

It doesn't add up, because there is nothing telling us that he didn't believe "Smith's daughter" then and there. He does seem honestly surprised.

Then again, if he had actually been visited by his daughter, how did he plan that showdown to go? And how would that help with his end game of getting John back? Maybe he imagined Smith would get desperate and set guards on Sherlock, and John could rescue him from there. Perhaps that was his original plan?

What do you guys think?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 29, 2017 7:19 pm  #216

I think Sherlock was walking a fine line between pretending and yet being on the verge of really losing control. 
Thing is he needs people like John to act as he predicts they will..for Sherlock to be able to make it all work.

May 29, 2017 7:26 pm  #217

Again, I'm due for a rewatch, and it's something I haven't made my mind up over yet.    I do think he must have known more than he was letting on, because he wasn't planning for Culverton to be exposed at that point - he was planning to get further into danger so that John would save him.   He had set up the walking stick to record before going to the mortuary, so seems to have planned becoming a patient, John leaving it there, etc. 

But I agree, he doesn't seem to have cottoned on to the puzzle of Culverton's daughter. 

May 29, 2017 10:11 pm  #218

It makes me think of TRF, where you also cannot really say where the game ends and true emotions start.

August 2, 2017 9:17 pm  #219

Not a headscratcher per se but interesting: 

http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/163725592904/at-127-in-this-video-sian-says-what-kind-of

I definitely hear Ilsa or Elsa, not Ursa. So the nameless therapist has a name after all and one that might be another hint to TPLoSH.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 3, 2017 6:10 am  #220

On first listening I heard "Ursa" but with the therapist's accent sounding more like "Irsa".  But I think this may be being used to living in a part of the UK where "r"s aren't well pronounced - I feel I'm always listening for them!  On listening again, I can hear the other possibilities, and it does sound more like Ilse. 

It would make sense for it to be Ilse, given that they like to re-use names.

Board footera