BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2017 6:18 pm  #1

The HLV shooting script

You can find it here:

http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/Sherlock_Ep3_Script.pdf

So far I have only seen some short extracts but they tell a very different story from what we see in the episode: no hope for Sherlock on the OP table, Sherlock being expressly described as dead, Mary and Jim both being called satanic, Magnussen reaching for his mobile phone ... 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 2, 2017 6:22 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 2, 2017 6:29 pm  #2

Re: The HLV shooting script

Wow. You are posting the links faster than I can read them!
*drops everything to snuggle the HLV script*

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

February 2, 2017 7:59 pm  #3

Aw, it has the rest of the Janine scene in the hospital!   That would have been quite sweet.  Thanks for posting this ... although I'm slightly worried that all these scripts coming out means they really are finished.

February 2, 2017 8:04 pm  #4

Let's hope they're just pumping us with stuff, as sweeteners...hoping that one day they can give us something more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 2, 2017 8:12 pm  #5

Yes, maybe just keeping the interest going?  And it's not like they've posted S4, yet.

Ooh, did you see this bit?

Sir Edwin: If this is some expression of ... familial sentiment ...
Mycroft: Don't be absurd.  You know what we did to our sister.

So ... Eurus originally wasn't a surprise, even to Sherlock?

February 2, 2017 8:14 pm  #6

Well we can see why they changed that one!
They talk extensively on the DVD extras about enjoying playing along the third brother idea!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 2, 2017 8:27 pm  #7

Yes, they said they'd carefully written "brotherly" so that people would think it was a brother.   But it must have been quite a late addition.   I suppose it would still have been surprise to us when Eurus appeared, as she was in disguise.   But interesting that quite late in the S3 timeline, they must have decided to make Sherlock being party to incarcerating her ("what we did to our sister").  It's odd, because the Redbeard mentions are in the same script.   So at that point, Sherlock presumably knew about Eurus (and had helped Mycroft put her away), but still had amnesia over "Redbeard".  I think I can see that working.  I wonder why they changed it?

February 2, 2017 8:29 pm  #8

I think it's much better as it is. 

February 2, 2017 8:33 pm  #9

It's certainly more of a leap for Sherlock.  And of course, hands Mycroft full responsibility for incarcerating Eurus, and lying about her.  

February 2, 2017 8:35 pm  #10

Though I personally don't blame him for that...

February 2, 2017 10:11 pm  #11

What surprises me is how many changes they made to this version which seems to have been quite final. And how the actors deviate from the what is there, especially in the tarmac scene. Which I think is much more beautiful in the filmed version than here. The way they are just holding hands instead of shaking is much more poignant than the "manly" embrace. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 2, 2017 10:14 pm  #12

Yes, look at this. Wow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 2, 2017 10:18 pm  #13

Very interesting changes... Sherlock definately dying on the table without hope makes me wonder again... but, I guess there's, surprisingly, always hope

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 2, 2017 10:24 pm  #14

We do see that in the final version too.

February 3, 2017 5:18 am  #15

SusiGo wrote:

What surprises me is how many changes they made to this version which seems to have been quite final. And how the actors deviate from the what is there, especially in the tarmac scene. Which I think is much more beautiful in the filmed version than here. The way they are just holding hands instead of shaking is much more poignant than the "manly" embrace. 

Maybe they wanted to avoid an inflation in embraces and save one for something special. (Sherlock comforting John in T6T.)
In my opinion, being at the brink of a "tdeath do us part" situation, an embrace, let alone a "manly" one, would have been too weak and inadequate.  Better then leave it out. This version feels more like John's bewildered  "I can't think of a single thing to say.".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 3, 2017 6:36 am  #16

Yes, I agree.
I was tweeting to a fan about this last night.
Because I have never been entirely sure from that scene if John really knew he might never see Sherlock again. 
For me, it's almost like a slow realisation:
it's the hand shake that is the 'killer'.
It's the final 'goodbye', as opposed to the first 'hello', when they shook hands outside of 221 B.
For me it has so much more impact.

February 3, 2017 7:55 am  #17

Indeed. At this point the handshake is so much stronger and it would have diminished the impact of the TLD embrace. I am glad they went for the change. 

And look what they hid (and cut) amidst all the other tabloid lies:

SHERLOCK'S NO HOMO.

February 3, 2017 8:03 am  #18

Well, we know he isn't.
Well, he's a homosapien.

February 3, 2017 8:06 am  #19

But if all the other headlines were lies, one would assume that this one was false, too. 

February 3, 2017 8:13 am  #20

besleybean wrote:

Because I have never been entirely sure from that scene if John really knew he might never see Sherlock again. 

I think John would put up more of a fight if he knew Sherlock's assignment was a one-way ticket...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

Board footera