BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2017 8:10 am  #1

Theories, connected with "Sherlock"

I believe, this thread can be interesting and entertaining... Although the latter we can understand not necessarily as "joyful" - not in case of the theory, I found in net:
http://fkngerlocked.tumblr.com/post/156076621951/the-little-girl-is-not-eurusits-john-its-fucking

January 28, 2017 12:48 am  #2

Re: Theories, connected with "Sherlock"

But but but but.... but HOW?
I mean this is very interesting, but wouldn't it destroy quite a lot? There has been so much beautiful character moments in TFP, there would be no consequences. And what about the ending full of hope and looking into a joyful future. What would that ending mean then? It would mean nothing.

And what does this theory mean, when saying that John is phoning Sherlock while he is dying? If he got shot by Euros, do they mean John imagines phoning? Or is he really phoning Sherlock and imagines these things while babbling something into the phone?
Why exactly phoning? How could he get a phone in his hands after being shot? Why not imagine this while lying in koma for example?

And in the last consequence it would mean John is dead very soon and will stay dead! He got shot in the face...

Some things fit, like the continuity errors with the lamps (this would be an enormous mistake if it really was only an continuity error), some things simply doesn't.

My brain got some more things to think about, at least. ;)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 28, 2017 8:00 am  #3

Yes, it would make the whole thing pointless really.  And I don't think the episode makes sense being within John's head.  If John had "created" all this, why would he be so interested in Mycroft, for instance?  Why is he so fixated on "Redbeard" (something he knows virtually nothing about and hasn't shown any interest in)?

Also, there is a relatively happy ending that ties everything up and finishes the series/show. 

January 28, 2017 8:17 am  #4

I have nothing clever to add to that, but what do you mean "continuity errors with the lamps", Rache?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 28, 2017 9:19 am  #5

Liberty wrote:

Also, there is a relatively happy ending that ties everything up and finishes the series/show. 

Interesting theory. (Not saying I believe in it but I like to think down those lines.)

The happy ending could be because of John's tremendous need for happy endings. If we say all of it is John's imagination, we have to believe that he imagine a tripple rescue: the girl in the plane was saved, Eurus in her room was (Kind of) saved, John in the well was saved. Seems quite a lot to me. But of course, the charming thing about any halucination theory is that everything is possible. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 28, 2017 9:23 am  #6

Well, you all know I'm not hot on the dream/hallucination things and other than TAB- none of them have proved to be terribly reliable.
Other than obvious one offs like Sherlock hallucinating Moriarty in HOB etc.
Oh and the recently bereaved still seeing the dead loved one, a common occurrence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 28, 2017 10:15 am  #7

ewige wrote:

I have nothing clever to add to that, but what do you mean "continuity errors with the lamps", Rache?

I can answer it too In the beginning, in Baker Street, when Mycrotf talks his first Redbeard and Eurus story, the lamps are sometimes on, and sometimes off. I think, this is really the continuity error (ok, let's say: it is my opinion in 99% ;] ).

But (finally, I understand...), OMG, it is not the point!

I wrote "I believe, this thread can be interesting and entertaining", but I never said, I think, this theory is true!
It's based on pretty many correct observations, it is created by very perceptive, inventive person. It's ingenious, and it can explain some still unexplained details, or answer unanswered questions. It is very good theory (on the more abstract level).
Really, needs it to be also truth, to enjoy it??

There are many theories, based on assumption, something is not real ( take a look, plz: http://fkngerlocked.tumblr.com/post/156286605281/emanuelleismyname-its-for-men-was-it-all-in - all this blog is interesting!).

But in this topic - I hoped for sort of mind game, with the best of the theories...   

BTW more about "The Girl Is John" theory: 
http://fkngerlocked.tumblr.com/post/156088825386/this-is-an-additional-post-to-my-eurus-shot-john  
http://fkngerlocked.tumblr.com/post/156109518291/aaand-another-addition-to-my-john-is-the-girl-on  
Just as a mental exercise, too...

Last edited by Naavy (January 28, 2017 10:33 am)

January 28, 2017 10:17 am  #8

What I meant was that the show is finished off (rather than that John wouldn't imagine a happy ending).   I don't see them finishing off the show with John shot and hallucinating.   But especially not if the alternative is setting them up as the mature Sherlock and John, which is something Moftiss said they were doing from the beginning. 

I agree Besley - and we were clearly shown that Mary was a "ghost".   We are not clearly shown that John has hallucinated TFP. 

January 28, 2017 10:26 am  #9

No, the theory does not have to be true to be fun and interesting. :-D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 28, 2017 10:32 am  #10

Schmiezi wrote:

No, the theory does not have to be true to be fun and interesting. :-D

Schmiezi, Thank You!

January 28, 2017 11:10 am  #11

ewige wrote:

I think this refers to a scene in which a lamp in 221b keeps going on and off within the same scene and without any explanation. I saw screenshots of this but I cannot remember which scene it was. 

About the theories: I think it is telling that people try to find alternative explanations of the many plotholes and inconsistencies within the show. I enjoyed series 4 but there are indeed some things that would leave me dissatisfied if the show ended here. Therefore to me it is a creative way of dealing with one's perception of the show. In this case, however, I would always prefer a "in Sherlock's head" solution because there are so many things in TFP John could not have known. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 28, 2017 11:14 am  #12

Thank you for the explanation, guys!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 28, 2017 3:34 pm  #13

SusiGo wrote:

ewige wrote:

I think this refers to a scene in which a lamp in 221b keeps going on and off within the same scene and without any explanation. I saw screenshots of this but I cannot remember which scene it was. 

About the theories: I think it is telling that people try to find alternative explanations of the many plotholes and inconsistencies within the show. I enjoyed series 4 but there are indeed some things that would leave me dissatisfied if the show ended here. Therefore to me it is a creative way of dealing with one's perception of the show. In this case, however, I would always prefer a "in Sherlock's head" solution because there are so many things in TFP John could not have known. 

This was during the grenade explosion scene in 221B. The lamps were on when the three men were discussing their escape, but as soon as the countdown began and they started running, all the lamps were off. Literally from one shot to the next, for no apparent reason.

I think this theory about John is interesting, but SusiGo, I would tend to agree with you... TFP told from Sherlock's perspective makes much more sense than if it was told from John's. Aside from the family history that John couldn't possibly have known, it would also explain a number of things about Mycroft...

For example:
Why he is shown as "fat Mycroft" in the flashbacks, even though Mycroft was definitely not fat in the photo of him and Sherlock at the beach as kids (this photo is in 221B). The only "fat Mycroft" we've seen to date had basically all been in Sherlock's head.

Why Sherlock had always been the "grown up"!?! 

Why Mycroft was dumbed down a lot in TFP... in fact his character portrayal confused me at times. For example it was John who recognised it was the Governor speaking in the Eurus CCTV video. (Mycroft didn't get this even after John hinted at least twice for him to listen...) And given how protective of Sherlock Mycroft had always been throughout the series, him giving his blessing for *both* Moriarty AND Sherlock to visit Eurus unsupervised just didn't make a lot of sense... He knows full well Eurus can enslave people just by talking to them, and that Moriarty is a psychopath hell bent on destroying his little brother. And what did he do during Sherlock's visit? Rather than keep an eye on his brother to see if he was in danger from the security guards/ Eurus etc., he sat in an office and watched old CCTV footage? For a guy who typically surveils his brother even when he's in his own flat, that's just really weird.

Last edited by TheOtherOne (January 28, 2017 7:33 pm)

January 28, 2017 3:36 pm  #14

To be fair, he didn't know there was no glass!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 28, 2017 3:39 pm  #15

besleybean wrote:

To be fair, he didn't know there was no glass!

Well nor did Sherlock even though he was standing in front of it. (Don't even get me started on the glass).

Fact is, glass or no glass hardly mattered given Mycroft said she enslaved people just by "talking" to them.

January 28, 2017 3:41 pm  #16

Possibly he thought Sherlock was strong minded and anyway, in the worse scenario, Mycroft could have intervened...they were wired up, weren't they?

January 28, 2017 3:51 pm  #17

I remember there were lots of theories before S4 came out, so it's nothing new!   And I agree it's fun. 

I don't think Eurus was ever intending to destroy Sherlock. 

January 28, 2017 5:09 pm  #18

Indeed, she wanted to play with him.

January 28, 2017 5:46 pm  #19

I think she wanted to be saved by him. That's why she waited with her whole game until he was the sensitive person who could succeed.

I mean the Sherlock from S1 would have failed for sure.

January 28, 2017 5:47 pm  #20

Yes, true.  A very long game.

Board footera