BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2017 5:50 pm  #1

January 23, 2017 9:23 pm  #2

Re: Compilation of Canonical References in "The Final Problem"

I just watched The Woman in Greeen starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, and feel like there must be lots of references to it in Sherlock. You've got Holmes being "hypnotised" in this film, for instance.

January 23, 2017 9:36 pm  #3

Superb! I love your compilations, buddy!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 24, 2017 6:46 am  #4

Thank you nakahara I enjoy catching these hidden nods to ACD's genius.

Agree with you Meretricious. There are a number of references to the Basil Rathbone movies as well as others like The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

January 24, 2017 7:28 am  #5

The 'final court of appeal' lines in the original text is something I just loved growing up about Holmes. I love the idea that when everything else fails, the desperate go to 221B Baker St and Holmes looks at the case with an objective eye. I wish it hadn't been Mary who narrated that bit though in the series, would have preferredJohn himself or even Lestrade but am just happy it was included. 

January 24, 2017 7:29 am  #6

For me that was part of the 'groundbreaking ' thing, having Mrs Watson narrate for a change!

Last edited by besleybean (January 24, 2017 7:29 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera