BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2017 7:48 am  #21

Re: Still unexplained secrets?

besleybean wrote:

My only one is: Who did upset Mummy then, as referred to as the end of SIP?

This is actually a very good question because what is the reason of Sherlock's and Mycroft's resentment? Did Sherlock always feel that his brother was keeping something from him? Did he subconsciously suspect that Mycroft tried to control him and his memories? I feel we did not get a real explanation about the origin of their feud. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 23, 2017 4:33 pm  #22

Anybody to watch SIP again right now? 

January 23, 2017 7:46 pm  #23

No, I'm doing that in the Summer.
I'm gonna re-watch all thirteen episodes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 23, 2017 9:57 pm  #24

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

My only one is: Who did upset Mummy then, as referred to as the end of SIP?

This is actually a very good question because what is the reason of Sherlock's and Mycroft's resentment? Did Sherlock always feel that his brother was keeping something from him? Did he subconsciously suspect that Mycroft tried to control him and his memories? I feel we did not get a real explanation about the origin of their feud. 

And how and why did Sherlock get started on drugs when he was younger? Why did he say he had never known happy families?

This contradicts with what we have been shown thus far, where Mr. and Mrs. Holmes are both portrayed as loving parents who care about their children. Sherlock is also clearly mummy's favourite? Why is he referred to as the "grown up" when that's not been the case throughout the series? (Both John and Greg had been implying he's a child/ baby as recently as TST.)

January 23, 2017 9:58 pm  #25

Well people adopt different roles, depending on the situation they are in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 27, 2017 4:18 pm  #26

I see two next still unanswered questions:
1. The topic was already posted on the forum: who was Vernet? The name is in Mycrot's notebook. In the contrary to ACD's canon he is unlikely the french artist - Holmes'es cousin, since after over 100 years this correlation has to be very distant.
2. Why Sherlock uses his second name? 

January 27, 2017 6:12 pm  #27

Maybe it's Uncle Rudy's surname!  I don't know if we find out which side of the family he's on?

January 27, 2017 6:37 pm  #28

Liberty wrote:

Maybe it's Uncle Rudy's surname!  I don't know if we find out which side of the family he's on?

It looks, like we were somehow reminded of uncle Rudy the same time in two different topics.
I like your theory, he could be a Frenchman too.

February 1, 2017 12:39 pm  #29

I'm still wondering where Sherlock's resentment towards Mycroft comes from. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 1, 2017 12:46 pm  #30

Yes, and what was the incident that Sherlock accuses Mycroft of, upsetting Mummy? Can't be anything to do with Eurus, obviously.

February 1, 2017 4:56 pm  #31

He implies that Mycroft bullied him over the East Wind story.

February 1, 2017 5:48 pm  #32

besleybean wrote:

He implies that Mycroft bullied him over the East Wind story.

Is bullying really the right word?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 1, 2017 6:37 pm  #33

I don't know, but it's the word Mycroft used himself!

February 1, 2017 7:49 pm  #34

I think some of Sherlock's resentment is just down to Mycroft being the cleverer, older brother. 

February 1, 2017 7:50 pm  #35

I think so, too.

February 6, 2017 10:19 pm  #36

Nice explanation of why John couldn´t tell human bones from dogs in the well:

http://handbasketofdreams.tumblr.com/post/156266621854/handbasketofdreams-atikiology

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 7, 2017 6:50 am  #37

nakahara wrote:

Nice explanation of why John couldn´t tell human bones from dogs in the well:

http://handbasketofdreams.tumblr.com/post/156266621854/handbasketofdreams-atikiology

;)

But the truth is, it really isn't easy to tell!
We have been told so in our forensic medicine course in university. Apart from a human skull of course, it gets difficult especially if you only have bone fragments or smaller sized bones like from a child: they could be from any smaller mammal as well.

It is a different thing if you have the skeleton as a whole of course.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

February 7, 2017 6:55 am  #38

I think he assumed they were from a dog until he saw the skull!

February 7, 2017 8:31 am  #39

Also remember that it was quite dark in the well. Telling dog bones and human child bones apart in a dark well while you're under stress isn't an easy thing to do.

As far as Mycroft's and Sherlock's relationship is concerned, I think "resentment" is a far too strong a word to discribe Sherlock's feelings towards his brother. I think it's obvious in TEH that he actually quite enjoys his brother's company, even if he'd never openly admit it. And he wants him to be there at John's wedding for support. He values his opinion and we see in his mindpalace scenes, for example in TSoT, that he feels like Mycroft is the one pushing him to be as good as he can. I think a lot of Sherlock's sometimes seemingly resentful behaviour against his brother comes from Mycroft constantly lecturing him that caring and emotions are a weakness (because he wants to protect Sherlock from experiencing more pain). Sherlock wants his elder brother's respect and therefore makes sure he doesn't show any brotherly love or compasstion that could make him seem weak. I think their relationship makes sense: Mycroft being the elder one, always feeling the need to protect his seven years younger brother from the pain he had to endure in the past and from future pain and at the same time pushing him to become the most intelligent person he can be. Because I think that was what he was doing by telling Sherlock that he - Mycroft - was the clever one: Pushing Sherlock to challange him, to become better and to give his best. Probably Sherlock sometimes mistook Mycroft's actions for bullying and reacted accordingly, but I think subconsciously he knows that Mycroft's intentions were/are good, why else would he have such a prominent position in his mindpalace, pushing him to get to the right conclusion. He just doesn't want his brother to see him weak, that's why he pushes him away whenever he's in a vulnarable position.

Ok, that became way longer than I had intended, sorry. As far as Sherlock saying that he wasn't the one upsetting Mummy in aSiP, we can only guess. Maybe the parents and Mycroft sometimes went to visit Eurus before she was brought to Sherrinford. It would be only logical that Mummy would usually be quite upset when they came home from those visits and Sherlock would just assume that Mycroft had done something to upset her. Or probably Mycroft even took the blame willingly, he seems to have a habit of doing so.

February 7, 2017 8:56 am  #40

I wonder why Mycroft, while describing Eurus to Sherlock at the beginning of an ep, didn´t tell Sherlock the truth about Redbeard being Victor Trevor right away? What was the point keeping that fact secret anyway, if Sherlock finally got to know he has a murderous sister?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera