BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2017 3:02 pm  #1

Eurus' Song

We already have similar discussions in other threads, but I think Eurus's Song deserves a thread of its own, as it was the key to solving the final problem. 

The headstones that we are shown in the episode only provide part of Eurus' cry for help. There was one part that Sherlock had to find out himself without any direction or code provided by Eurus. I tried to sum this up in the following pics: 

Only the words marked yellow could be solved with the numbers on the four headstones we are shown. The words that I marked red on the other hand couldn't be deduced by the numbers on the headstones. Sherlock had to come up with these by himself, without direction (unless there was another headstone that we were never shown with the numbers 28 1 2 3 8 on it). 

What are your thoughts about this? Does it mean that love was the emotional context and connection that Eurus was missing all these years? The song was written and the riddle was made up when Sherlock and Eurus were still children. As Mycroft had mentioned Sherlock was quite an emotional child back then, so I don't think that back then the song was meant to be a lession for Sherlock to teach him that love and emotions made him a better person. I think it's more about Eurus experiencing emotions very differently from anyone else and wanting to belong, just not knowing how. So she probably thought if Sherlock was able to solve her riddle, there would still be some hope left that one day he would help her form some sort of emotional connection to another human being and even feel and experience some sort of love. Which, in the end, he succeeded in as we can see in their final violin duet. 

Last edited by Kae Em (January 21, 2017 3:04 pm)

January 21, 2017 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Eurus' Song

Love was the context missing all along This is so cool. It is basically almost as if the writers telling us that Love was what was missing not only in Eurus but in all other Sherlock adaptations up to now. Wonder where they are going <3 

no offence intended, I am just thinking out loud XD
I had already seen the explanation of it on tumblr but this is much more concrete and helpful. Thank so much for posting it :D

January 21, 2017 3:44 pm  #3

I think she wanted Sherlock's love and attention even as a little girl - she wanted to play with him, and he ignored her.  It's funny that she didn't go for Mycroft (who was older and more clever), but I suppose Sherlock was the closest in age, the one she taught violin to, and I suppose also the most "normal" of the genius siblings, who could connect with others better - there was obviously something special about Sherlock for Eurus. 

January 21, 2017 9:18 pm  #4

I hope Sherlock to be less afraid of his feelings too

Thank you for posting )

January 21, 2017 9:21 pm  #5

Yes, I think possibly Eurus and Sherlock help each other open up to their feelings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 26, 2017 6:40 pm  #6

This is a very interesting post about Eurus's song. I had no idea that the melody was not a Sherlock original:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/157707525831/monikakrasnorada-sockenpuppe-just-ignore

And it is not the first time Arnold and Price have used original music as an inspiration for their score:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/121766280296/sherlock-appledore-and-the-cold-song

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2017 9:07 pm  #7

Interesting!  To me it actually sounds closest to the children's song "Go tell Aunt Rhody", rather than the others (I had a vague memory of the song, but couldn't remember Aunt Rhody's name!).   What might be pertinent is that the old grey goose died in the mill pond - maybe a little bit similar to a well?  I suppose it makes sense that Eurus might pick that tune - another hidden clue.

February 27, 2017 6:29 am  #8

Is that the same as 'Go and tell Aunt Nancy'?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 27, 2017 7:53 am  #9

Yes it is! 

Board footera