BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2017 7:59 am  #7641

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

There can be different kinds of love, and you can love different people at once, or else how would we cope wifh families?  John and Mary had a lot going on very quickly - their reconcilation, the new baby and the difficulty adjusting to that life, John's texting, Mary's life at risk again.  But at the end, I thought they were good.  John was about to confess about the texting, so had realised he was wrong and put an end to it.  Parentlock - well, I'm not sure exactly what that means.  Sherlock was clearly involved with Rosie before Mary died, so it's nothing new that that should continue (he's her godfather, and she was part of his vow).   I can imagine him continuing to be very protective of her and to play a big part in her life.    I haven't weighed in much on this, because I like the idea of John back at 221B but it does look to me as if he is living in his own flat, and coming over to 221B, as Watson did for much of canon, I believe. 

January 21, 2017 8:04 am  #7642

Schmiezi wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Not on the forum, I'm talking about Tumblr. My posts are about fans in general (or: some fans in general), not just about people on the forum.

Thanks for clearing that up. I stay away from tumblr for now. I really don't want to spend my time reading hate posts about the show I love so much. :'(

It's actually one of the things I like about this thread - we're all united by our love of the show!  We might disagree over that aspect but there's hardly any criticism of the show itself (of course, it's fine for people to critcise it!  But sometimes I just don't really feel like reading it, and just want to enjoy my love of the show with like-minded people!). 

January 21, 2017 8:41 am  #7643

Oh and no, I don't think Sherlock was texting Irene at the end of TFP. Who does?
I think he was texting Greg.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2017 12:00 pm  #7644

Yes, I think that the end of that storyline is still that he's not going to pursue romance, at least not yet.  (I always kind of like the idea of him finding romance in old age!).   Irene is a kind of outlet for him, where he directs all those feelings but keeps them/her at a distance. 

January 21, 2017 12:01 pm  #7645

I think so, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2017 12:31 pm  #7646

besleybean wrote:

Oh and no, I don't think Sherlock was texting Irene at the end of TFP. Who does?
I think he was texting Greg.

Me too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 21, 2017 12:52 pm  #7647

Yes, it was a clear reference to ASiP. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2017 1:01 pm  #7648

I don't think any of us thought he was texting Irene!   (Although we know that he does occasionally text her).

Last edited by Liberty (January 21, 2017 1:03 pm)

January 21, 2017 1:03 pm  #7649

This makes me happy. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 21, 2017 1:05 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2017 3:21 pm  #7650

Yes, I was puzzled as to where the suggestion came from.
If I'd said it previously, it was because I'd thought people were referring to the discussion with John...about texting Irene.

January 21, 2017 3:48 pm  #7651

Yes, I wondered if that's where it came from.  I might have mentioned that too.  In TLD he claims that he doesn't text Irene, but shortly after he admits that he does.  So I could easily have said something about him texting Irene, and people could have thought I meant the text to Greg!  I'm glad we've cleared it up! 

January 21, 2017 4:47 pm  #7652

I hope it has been cleared up, there still seems a little confusion on the forum about it.

April 30, 2017 12:35 pm  #7653

Rex Stout came quite close. A heteronormative near miss. 

source: http://www.unz.org/Pub/SaturdayRev-1941mar01-00003

April 30, 2017 4:09 pm  #7654

Traditionally Holmes and Watson't rooms have always been shown on different floors: as in BBC Sherlock.

April 30, 2017 5:11 pm  #7655

SusiGo wrote:

Rex Stout came quite close. A heteronormative near miss. 

source: http://www.unz.org/Pub/SaturdayRev-1941mar01-00003

Great find! :-D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 30, 2017 7:03 pm  #7656

Yes. Funny how nearly 80 years ago people stumbled upon the domesticity of Holmes and Watson. 

BB: If I remember correctly, in Granada Holmes their rooms are on the same floor and quite close by each other. In the new Russian Holmes series their rooms are opposite each other on the same floor, separated only by a narrow hallway. 

April 30, 2017 7:05 pm  #7657

I certainly remember Holmes' room in the Granada version, traditionally just off the living room.
I assume Mark and Steven took their versions from Canon?

April 30, 2017 9:11 pm  #7658

There are different versions:

http://www.sherlockian-sherlock.com/baker-street-221-b-floor-plan.php

And the Canon stories are not even consistent about the placement of Sherlock's room. Btw, I really like the door between their bedrooms in the 1948 plan. 

April 30, 2017 9:13 pm  #7659

Anyway, not the way BBC Sherlock decided to go.

April 30, 2017 9:15 pm  #7660

I know. But this thread is about all adaptations, right? And I think they mainly did it in order to allow Mrs Hudson the famous "if you need another bedroom" remark. 

Board footera