BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2017 12:02 am  #4781

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Sorry, but canon is not a valid reason.  They deviate from canon when ever they want to.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 21, 2017 8:09 am  #4782

I would agree with that.  But I like what they did.   My hope for Mary was that she would be redeemed, and I got my wish.   My other hope was that if they made her into a villain, she wouldn't be one of Moriarty's minions, but something bigger and better, an arch-villain in her own right.  Well, obviously that didn't happen, but they kind of did it with Eurus, somebody else who was "family", instead.   It's almost like I got just what I wanted!  (I also really, really didn't want them to kill off Mycroft - I couldn't even post about it when people started talking about it after the foreshadowing in TAB.  So yes, I got my three wishes!).

But I don't think they have to follow canon at all.  I think they want to, some of the time, and I think the end of TFP is kind of leading them back to canon after their flights of fancy (!), but really, they are free to do what they want. 

January 21, 2017 11:07 am  #4783

I think that is true: the end of TFP is kind of leading back to canon, and I like that very much.

And, addition to one thing I wrote yesterday (I was in a hurry and forgot something important): I wrote that Mary is a problem in every adaptation and that Moftiss found an interesting way to solve that problem and that I liked their decision at last. But there is one thing I did not like: there was way too much screentime for Mary, in four of the twelve episodes. And I did not like this. This is a Story with two main characters, not with three.

January 21, 2017 11:17 am  #4784

I agree. And she was in seven episodes in some way which IMO is far too much. I do not think she deserved to have the last word. The montage at the end of TFP is beautiful, especially with the music, and her voice-over for me felt quite inappropriate. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2017 11:25 am  #4785

Well obviously the team decided it was appropriate and I was happy with their decision.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2017 11:39 am  #4786

Well, I was not. I can love and appreciate something without always being happy with it. And the amount of critique shows that maybe, just maybe they went wrong there. Steven and Mark are not perfect. They are human. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2017 11:42 am  #4787

I am sorry:  I strongly disagree.
You cannot say that writers 'went wrong'.
Surely you can only hold the opinion that you personally didn't like what they chose to do?
There is no 'right or wrong'..
It is Mark and Steven's vision and I share it.

Last edited by besleybean (January 21, 2017 11:42 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2017 11:57 am  #4788

She did have a lot of screentime.  But I do think they used it fairly well.  To the extent that I had been itching for her to be gone, and ended up really enjoying her in TLD!   There are very different things going on with her in each of the episodes that she's in, I feel - except perhaps TEH and TSOT which blur together a bit more. 

Mycroft also got a lot more screentime than is usual, and a more important role, but again, I really enjoyed that, particularly towards the end! 

I feel it was about bringing the cases closer to home, so that we're more emotionally invested.  Both Mary and Mycroft are clients for a while, and Sherlock is on their cases with all the extra drama that that brings!   And that worked well for me - the relationship focus. 

I'm not 100% sure about Mary at the end, but I do think it ties in well with the ongoing theme of messages from beyond the grave, and was kind of a final goodbye from that character.   I don't really see any of the other characters speaking those words. 

January 21, 2017 12:16 pm  #4789

I must say that I really liked Amanda in TLD but I don't consider that to be Mary. It is John's subconciousness talking, not Mary Morstan. A version of Mary that different from the real one, closer to the person she pretended to be in the beginning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 21, 2017 12:20 pm  #4790

I think Mary really wanted to be the person she was when John first met her, but circumstances intervened.
I think by the end, John understood this.

January 21, 2017 12:25 pm  #4791

Schmiezi wrote:

I must say that I really liked Amanda in TLD but I don't consider that to be Mary. It is John's subconciousness talking, not Mary Morstan. A version of Mary that different from the real one, closer to the person she pretended to be in the beginning.

True. And it would have been a satisfying and elegant end for her, leaving the room after John had opened his heart to Sherlock. This is why I dislike her involvement in the TFP ending so much. It was over. It was a dignified end for John's inner Mary. And then we got another DVD with a message that was unnecessary. The images told us all we needed to know. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 21, 2017 12:26 pm)

January 21, 2017 12:27 pm  #4792

I can kind of see what you mean with this.
Was it that Mary wanted to include John, the second time?

January 21, 2017 1:05 pm  #4793

besleybean wrote:

I am sorry:  I strongly disagree.
You cannot say that writers 'went wrong'.
Surely you can only hold the opinion that you personally didn't like what they chose to do?
There is no 'right or wrong'..
It is Mark and Steven's vision and I share it.

This!

Liberty wrote:

Mycroft also got a lot more screentime than is usual, and a more important role, but again, I really enjoyed that, particularly towards the end! 

Good point. I suppose, in the end, Mycroft might have had even more screentime than Mary. I never saw anyone complaining about that. Or about Molly or Mrs. Hudson or Lestrade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 21, 2017 1:31 pm  #4794

Liberty wrote:

Ghost Mary in TLD was particularly moving.

I agree. But sadly this was the only thing that worked for me in connection with Mary. I hated all the action stuff they did with her in T6T (and that's one of the main reasons why I don't like the whole episode), it was so unbelievably conventional and boring. Same goes for the death scene. And having her speak the final words at the end of TFP (and possibly the end of the whole show) still makes me go What the F***...?!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 21, 2017 3:25 pm  #4795

I found it quite moving.

May 3, 2017 8:43 am  #4796

Now that S4 had time to sink in, I still wonder about one thing:

What did we need Mary for? What was her purpose storywise?

She is a character from canon but was she only brought to the show so the writers could say they did? Or did she serve a certain purpose within the fiction of the show? Does that purpose probably change from S3 to S4?

I don't have answers for those questions and am quite puzzled. As a Johnlocker, I thought she would have been introduced to be the obstacle John and Sherlock had to overcome. I am not sure about that any longer but don't see where introducing the show helped the other characters to develope or something.

What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 3, 2017 8:59 am  #4797

Schmiezi: From what I understand, I think Mary was introduced because she was a canon character. And as John's wife, a rather important one. It did lead to the evolvement of Sherlock's character (the first romantic partner of John he didn't try to scare away because he wanted John to be happy). I think seeing that John had moved on and wasn't just waiting for Sherlock back at 221b was a sobering experience for him, and was also part of his development.

It also introduced a new dynamic between the three of them. Some people liked it, some people didn't. Perosnally, I would've preferred to keep it only Sherlock and John, but I know there are many fans who really like Mary.

It also helped to show more of John's character. How he always went looking for romantic love/sex, but was not the type to be happy in a settled down life. How married life in the suburbs wasn't enough for him. How even having a wife, a daughter, a job AND Sherlock wasn't enough for him. And then, through the loss of Mary, how he went from his darkest moment to finally be able to open up, emotionally. A huge development on John's part.

Personally, I struggle more to see the narrative point of Rosie, but we have a thread of it's own for that.

Last edited by SusiGo (May 3, 2017 9:01 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2017 8:59 am  #4798

I agree. It is a fact that from S3 on and especially after S4 many fans were disappointed or even left the fandom. Note: I am not talking about extreme TJLC followers here but also about fans who cared about the 130-year-old dynamic between Holmes and Watson. Why did they leave? Because they said it was not the show they had come to love anymore. And the main reason for this was the changed dynamic. I know no other adaptation in which Mary Morstan became a central character - for a good reason. Because it is not Canon and because it is not what this story is about. 

We have discussed this alone in this thread on 250 pages, most of them written even before S4. So I would like to ask this: Why did they keep Mary even after she had been killed? Why turn her into John's "conscience" or whatever you wish to call it? Why give her the last word in TFP? Why did she have to become so important?

Reviews and fan reactions have shown that many people absolutely dislike the importance that was given to her. They had fallen in love with a show about two men and their frankly ridiculous adventures, two of them against the rest of the world and were given two men who for a time were not even friends anymore. Mary's death nearly destroyed their relationship, something that has never been Canon, that has never been as much as hinted upon by ACD.

I have more thoughts about this that I may share in other threads but these question still remain. And they have not been answered yet. Same goes for the question why Amanda was given the whole cinema special that preceded TFP. She got the prologue and the epilogue to an episode that might be the last. And I wonder whatever justified this decision. 

May 3, 2017 9:05 am  #4799

I have a feeling that part of the reason why Mary was given such a big part was because Moftiss liked Amanda - or her acting. (That scene on the plane in TST was written in simply because Mark Gatiss liked it when she fooled around with an American accent on set). Such things has happened before - a director or creator likes the acting of a small part so much that they are given a bigger role.

Last edited by Vhanja (May 3, 2017 9:07 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2017 9:11 am  #4800

I had the same idea. Of course they are free to choose their actors but basing writing decisions upon this - writing decisions that change the direction of the whole show - is problematic. In a way I feel that they sacrificed what they had - and what people loved - for the wish to give Amanda a bigger part. As I said, there is probably no other adaptation in which Mary's part is so extensive. Not without reason. It is not what people expect from the Holmes-Watson-universe and I think that the writers sadly drove away part of their fandom by this.

If they had stopped at the end of TST, it would not have been perfect but okay. Mary dead, John mourning. But the whole Inner Mary thing plus the TFP DVD was just too much in my opinion. 

Last edited by SusiGo (May 3, 2017 9:13 am)

Board footera