BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2016 12:09 pm  #21

Re: Redbeard Previsited

It could be.

I am wondering if Redbeard - whatever that may be - will play a bigger part in S4. I think it might be one of the "ghosts" Moffatt talked about.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 15, 2016 12:53 pm  #22

tonnaree wrote:

In light of the things that follow as the series progresses, I see Sherlock's seeming misunderstanding of "sentiment" at the end of HOB as keeping up appearances with John.  I'm sure after the events of Dartmoor he was feeling a bit over exposed and vulnerable.

Or this could be a simple continuity error. The authors didn´t know in THOB yet that they will give a cute Irish setter to Sherlock in S3.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 16, 2016 8:30 am  #23

I agree with the fact that Sherlock has suffered a traumatic event as a child - violent death of a relative? When he made a fuss about Carl Powers and no one would listen? Mycroft leaving the house for university...? - and associated it with Redbeard's death.
I'm certain he put up walls to protect himself from further trauma caring is not an advantage, but that they had started to crumble as early as SiB. Let me explain. In TGG, he almost lost John and it was revealed to him that John was his weakness 'I have been reliably informed that I don't have [a heart].'
'We both know that's not quite true'
In SiB, he has confirmation of this when he wins the game against Irene. 'This is far more intimate. This is your heart and you should never let it rule your head.' He has realised that the heart that will be burnt out of him [ie. his weakness] is John. There's a crack in the wall - sorry, wrong fandom. I meant in the ointment. He distances himself again as he realised that. Keeps the phone as a memento of letting-your-heart-rule-your-head-will-ruin-you.
He lashes out as a defense mechanism in Hound when he fears it might become obvious even to you-see-but-do-not-observe-John and that sentiment will become once again a hindrance to the Work, put others at risk and make himself weak. He tries to put the walls he had erected back up, but that had not really worked, has it? Not for long, anyway.

Am I making sense here...?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 16, 2016 8:47 am  #24

Maybe Redbeard tried to protect Sherlock from somebody really bad (the source of the deeper trauma?), was injured in the process and had to be put down because of that? Like Sherlock got shot trying to protect John's happiness.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

April 16, 2016 9:22 am  #25

Lilythiell wrote:

Am I making sense here...?

To me, you do. And the Hound in THoB is another step to slowly revealing some of his past.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 16, 2016 9:23 am  #26

And how he became what he is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2016 9:24 am  #27

ewige wrote:

Maybe Redbeard tried to protect Sherlock from somebody really bad (the source of the deeper trauma?), was injured in the process and had to be put down because of that? Like Sherlock got shot trying to protect John's happiness.

Interesting idea. - Who is the Dr Frankland in Sherlock's past? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 21, 2017 12:01 pm  #28

Interesting to read this thread in hindsight.  I'm rewatching THoB right now.  As Sherlock is interviewing Henry Knight, he says,

"A childhood trauma masked by an invented memory.  Boring!"

Ironic, in light of the lastest episode.  Several parallels exist between THoB and TFP, it would seem.  (Sherlock's "lab experiment" on John was faintly reminiscent.)

January 21, 2017 12:03 pm  #29

One (sad!) fan thing I am really looking forward to doing:  during the Summer hols, I hope to re-watch all 13 episodes in order and make notes on how things portend for the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2017 12:30 pm  #30

That would be interesting.  The pirate reference in ASIB springs to mind at the moment.  

January 21, 2017 12:32 pm  #31

Yes and Mycroft must have really been struggling with memories and emotions at that time...

Board footera