BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2016 12:43 pm  #961

Re: Fan Fiction Addicts General Round Table Discusion - ADULT CONTENT

I started over at the beginning too.  It just keeps stabbing me in the heart!  Up to Chapter 27 now.  Don't want it to end but eager to see where it goes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 14, 2016 6:43 pm  #962

Finished "All Best and Brightest."  I am a wreck.  What a brilliant and beautiful story.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 14, 2016 8:40 pm  #963

It's amazing! Although Paradox is still my all-time favorite, this one is also brilliant. There is something about the way she writes that just makes me curl my toes in enjoyment for every sentence.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 15, 2016 7:35 am  #964

Paradox series! <3 Definitely one of my favourites, too. It is stupidly hard to write insanity in such a natural, believable way, and still somehow make it utterly charming and hot. Far and away the most unique Sherlock voice I've ever encountered. I wish there was more of it!

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

November 2, 2016 10:41 pm  #965

Can anyone tell me the titles of some good, canon-compliant fics set in Sherlock's school days (backstory) that don't have John in them? So no AU's where John and Sherlock meet when they're kids, etc. No mention of John at all, if anything like this exists. I'm just wondering how well a story like this would work, as John's POV is such an integral part of understanding Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 3, 2016 4:05 am  #966

I once read one that showed short episodes of Sherlock's childhood. It was sweet and worked quite well. But it was several years ago and I cannot remember author or title. It was about Sherlock learning to swim, I think. Maybe somebody here knows it. :-/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2017 5:29 am  #967

Fan fics after TFP

While doing some plotting for a new fan fic, I realized the difference to plotting after TRF and HLV.

With a series ending with a cliffhanger, there have always been story elements you just needed to write about. After TRF you had to write a reunion scene if you wanted to stay with in the given reality. After HLV, at least as a Johnlocker, you had to find a way to get rid of Mary.

Now, there does not seem to be such an imperative. At least not to me. But then, I think we were shown that the boys will be living in 221b together with Rosie.

My question is, what do you expect from post-S4 fan fics? Do you think there are open ends that need a fix-it?

I feel like I have a lot more freedom of writing this time. Do fellow writers feel the same?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 20, 2017 9:41 am  #968

Interesting thoughts. I've seen that there has been a ton of S4 fix-its out now. Some wants to address the beating, and have John give a more proper apology. Some want to rewrite Mary into a villain. Some goes into Johnlock territory about "what happened after The Hug, when the camera faded to black". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2017 10:10 am  #969

I am grateful for the way Moftiss got Mary out of the picture, for her "then get the hell on with it", for Rosie being so uncomplicated and just there to complete a two-daddies family, for Sherlock's reuniting his brain and his emotions...

It looks like all obstacles are out of the way now.

I believe John and Rosie would move rather sooner than later into 221b, but I also want to give John a proper mourning time, I don't think he'd jump into Sherlock's waiting arms right away.

So I'd love to see a long-ish fic that shows how the boys can do cases and care for Rosie at the same time. I'd like to see Sherlock helping John mourn and vice versa - Sherlock has lost a friend too, after all. I'd like to see John seeing Sherlock's newly-found confidence in his emotions (case-related at first).

In short, the obstacles are out of the way, the stars are aligned, but they still have miles and miles to go.

I don't think anything really happened after the hug, btw. Even Sherlock has been blinking away his tears... A hug for comfort is imho the truest and the most poignant thing they could have done at that point.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 20, 2017 10:12 am  #970

Oh, I would love to read a fic like that, ewige!

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2017 12:16 pm  #971

Me too! :-)

So Vhanja, what you are saying is that there are fics that fill the gaps?

January 20, 2017 12:59 pm  #972

I already saw a lot of fics that adressed the issue with Molly and Sherlock, how the would both go on after what happened in TFP. As I'm not a Sherlolly shipper I didn't read much of them but it seems to be a topic many writers need a conclusion to.

I'm thinking of a fic that would start immediatly after the events at Musgrave. It bothers me what happened between Eurus being imprisoned again and the domestic return of crime solving in Baker Street we saw at the end of TFP. There must be some kind of trauma about the events and there is also, like ewige said,  the mourning for Mary that the boys might have to endure.

Maybe I'll give it a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 20, 2017 1:09 pm  #973

Parentlock
All the parentlock.
Give it to me.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 20, 2017 5:25 pm  #974

Schmiezi wrote:

Me too! :-)

So Vhanja, what you are saying is that there are fics that fill the gaps?

Yeah, there seems to be a huge amount of fics that came out after each episode in S4 (TFP in particular) to fix various big or small scenes or bits that the author wanted different.

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2017 4:24 pm  #975

I would love to see a story in which Eurus manipulates Sherlock (again).

She managed once - as the lady in red - and quite splendidly, too. Now she is said to be catatonic but maybe something triggers her interest/jealousy, like John visiting along with Sherlock. She can make Sherlock believe that he managed to save her from her mania and then put him before an impossible choice - leave her behind the glass or rescue her as his damsel in distress.

Since John is Sherlock's weakness (being the key to his humanity), I'd like to see John grounding Sherlock and helping him make the right decision in the end, too. Especially if it's already mid-rescue mission ;)

I'd also love to see a story that shows an internal conflict in Eurus (hard to say whether that would be OOC for her, given the inconsistencies the writers showed us...), but I have a feeling she actually liked Sherlock in TLD so it's not just bloody murder in her head when she tries to manipulate him into choosing her (by freeing her).

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

March 4, 2017 10:43 pm  #976

A general observation - it is fascinating how fanfics reflect the history of the show. I tried reading a fic from 2010 and could not go on because it seemed so OOC. It is not always the case - I would re-read ivyblossom or PIALR anytime - but some fics have aged. This is evidence that we were given a real character development over the episodes which is a good thing. In the light of S4 it is weird to see a cold, distant Sherlock showering others with biting remarks and arrogance and a soft, understanding, milk-buying John who patiently bears Sherlock's whims. Or the DFP (dark feck prince) persona who seems to be completely OOC by now. 

And something else - I find myself skipping fics with Mary more and more often. I think I am really done with her, I really do not want to read about her anymore. Three years is enough. Which is I am so happy with J_Baillier's Mary-free fics that centre completely on Sherlock and John. As it should be (IMHO).  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 5, 2017 3:34 pm  #977

Yes, I have noticed that too. The older fanfics show a very different Sherlock and John from the ones we saw in the show in the later seasons. 

However, I have to admit, I am quite fond of those early "versions" of the charcters. I like the dynamic they create. That could also be because things were simpler back then, so to speak. No Mary, no grudge, no anger, no grief... (well, unless we are talking post-TRF fics). 

I do prefer the period in time that only involved the two of them both living in 221B. And so I still prefer fics that show that. I am actually not ready to read fics that occur in - or post - S4.

Last edited by Vhanja (March 5, 2017 3:35 pm)

Team Hudders!

March 6, 2017 7:40 am  #978

I agree. I love the old ones, too, provided they are not too much out of character compared to what we have now. Or to what we had then because Sherlock never was a sociopath. 

For a time I liked to read "Mary is a villain" fics but I got tired of them. To me the perfect Sherlock universe is still Mary-free. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 6, 2017 11:07 am  #979

I agree, that's my perfect Sherlock universe too. 

Team Hudders!

March 6, 2017 12:57 pm  #980

I am reading Post-S4 fics but I am very picky about them.  Actually loving some of the parentlock. 
But I mostly agree with Susi.  Done with Mary. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera