BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2017 8:31 pm  #81

Re: Not a fan of this episode

Well I could accept that if I really believed Sherlock actually intended to kill or even shoot Mycroft.
But I'm sorry, I just don't think he did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 8:44 pm  #82

Then I suggest you rewatch. I just did. Sherlock is seriously aiming at Mycroft from 1:07:04 to 1:07:50. Then again from 1:07:59 to 1:08:38. Pulls the safety switch off at 1:08:12 while aiming. Asks where to shoot - "Where do you suggest?".

Last edited by Bankomas (January 19, 2017 8:45 pm)

January 19, 2017 8:46 pm  #83

So you feel he should just have turned the gun on himself from the start?
Wasn't he afraid the girl on the plane would be left to her fate?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 8:51 pm  #84

He made that choice anyway. But before that got his hands slightly filthy by thinking over murdering his own brother.

Last edited by Bankomas (January 19, 2017 8:53 pm)

January 19, 2017 8:53 pm  #85

Yes I would feel much better if he turned the gun on himself from the start

January 19, 2017 8:55 pm  #86

I don't know how much thought was in it.
He knew Mycroft wanted him to do it and would hope it would at least save John, but he wouldn't have got any further than that.
I would consider it  a tad harsh to metaphorically crucify somebody over a few seconds indecision, in  a moment of extreme stress, pressure and sheer horror.
It's not exactly the same as picking out socks.

January 19, 2017 9:01 pm  #87

Not picking out socks definately. But he is Sherlock Holmes for bakerstreet's sake! I didn't want him to be that easily manipulated. He said it himself - "it took her just five minutes to do all of this to us"

January 19, 2017 9:04 pm  #88

That was the whole point.

January 20, 2017 7:59 am  #89

The thing that really bothers me for the whole of 04 and the conclusion - is there are apparently no consequences for anything ever . Do what thou wilt - because it doesn't matter.

Really dislike that message. It does matter what you do and how you treat people. Sherlocks finale makes being clever a sort of acceptable reason to treat people like toys or cattle. Of course forgiveness is necessary but more so is repentance and the idea of wrong! and not just in an idiot way.
Beating people and torturing people and Killing people is not acceptable or funny ,  even when they are stupid.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 8:01 am  #90

See I just see it differently...I cannot excuse what Sherlock did to CAM.
But I do think that by S 4 he had learned and was trying to go for the greater good.
But it was difficult.
Look at poor John, who inadvertently got 2 people killed...well, actually 3 in the end!

January 20, 2017 8:20 am  #91

I don't blame John though , I blame Euros ?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 9:55 am  #92

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I don't blame John though , I blame Euros ?

Same here, she was the only fiend here, John did not cause anyone to be killed and is completely blameless.

Just look at the next, "Garridebs" scene. Eurus killed all three, innocents first, although Sherlock cracked her puzzle correctly.

It just reveals that she would kill the woman regardless of John´s actions.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 20, 2017 5:03 pm  #93

Yep, there is no reasoning with somebody like that and very difficult to do the right thing.

January 20, 2017 6:59 pm  #94

besleybean wrote:

Well I could accept that if I really believed Sherlock actually intended to kill or even shoot Mycroft.
But I'm sorry, I just don't think he did.

Agreed. I think he was just buying time while he aimed his gun at Mycroft.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 20, 2017 7:02 pm  #95

Seems plausible.

January 20, 2017 7:13 pm  #96

besleybean wrote:

Well how does anybody grow up to be a demented psychopath?
If you're wanting a full medical answer, I am unqualified.
But there is a psychopathic gene, they have identified.
Not all people who carry it turn out to be crazy murderers...but some do.

Yes, these kind of people exist but do they have the ability to make everyone do what they want by merely talking to them a few minutes? To enslave the entire staff of a prison and turn them into submissive minions? Even Moriarty wasn't able to do that, he had to resolve to plain and simple methods of blackmail and bribery to break into the Tower, open the gates of Pentonville and influence the jury during his trail. The abilities of Eurus belong into the realm of pure fantasy, and I wouldn't question her if she was a character in Doctor Who or the Marvel universe. But she does feel totally out of place in the world of Sherlock. Giving Eurus these superhuman powers is exactly the point where the writers have lost me. It feels as if TFP does not belong to the previous episodes but rather a completely new show.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 20, 2017 7:20 pm  #97

Whatever it feels like, I love it!

Board footera