BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2017 8:34 pm  #1

Best single lines or dialogue

Mycroft: You're a Christmas Present.

Moriarty: Oh...How do you want me?

Mycroft: There is, within this facility, a prisoner whose intellectual abilities are of occasional use to the British Government.

Moriarty: What, for like really difficult sums, long-division, that sort of thing.

Hilarious.  A favorite in this episode.

January 19, 2017 8:49 pm  #2

Re: Best single lines or dialogue

The second line is my all time favourite in the show, coupled with Moriarty's little grin at the end!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 9:00 pm  #3

Sherlock to an awakening Watson: How are you?

Watson: Bit of a lump.

Sherlock: True that. But you have your uses.

Well, I suppose I could go on endlessly quoting these delicious bits of comedic dialogue.  All of the episodes are filled with them.  Filled to the point where I am sometimes surprised the program is not classified as a comedy.

But I will try to only quote the very favorites.

January 19, 2017 9:04 pm  #4

These  exchanges also reveal the lie in the complaints that the episodes were relentless with no light relief.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 9:17 pm  #5

besleybean wrote:

These  exchanges also reveal the lie in the complaints that the episodes were relentless with no light relief.

Yes, you are right.  I do not understand that complaint.  Going into watching a show like this you should, with only a moments reflection, know that it will have a cerebral requirement to enjoy it.  I mean, the name Sherlock Holmes, if you know anything about the character, should give that away.  There will be deductive work.  That means some brain function in order to comprehend and appreciate it. Will you need to watch closely or multiple times to fully comprehend what just happened? ....Oh glory, yes. The amount of detail packed into the show, if you wish to fully understand, requires that you pay attention and put forth an effort.  Want light entertainment?  Well, I am not sure you are in the right place then -- though I would not tell folk do not watch for all of the world.  But as much as we enjoy the characters and personalities, this is not a soap opera. The character interactions are only part of the point -- an important part, yes, along with everything else.

But if you enjoy the characters, then the interaction and dialogue are just as enjoyable as the deductive reasoning, puzzle solving, and crime solving.  

January 19, 2017 9:20 pm  #6

This was the darkest series of Sherlock ever and the pace was relentless.. But there were also some extremely tender moments and indeed,some scenes were just hilarious.

January 19, 2017 9:20 pm  #7

"I wrote my own version of the Nativity when I was a child. "The Hungry Donkey". It was a bit gory, but if you're going to put a baby in a manger, you're asking for trouble."

I would like to know, who's idea was "The Hungry Donkey". Very much!

January 19, 2017 9:21 pm  #8

I'm guessing Mark!

January 19, 2017 9:28 pm  #9

It took 2000 years to invent something like that!... 
And it is so dreadful, and so funny, at the same time :D

January 19, 2017 9:40 pm  #10

"That's why he stays!"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 19, 2017 9:41 pm  #11

Oh, yes!

January 19, 2017 11:27 pm  #12

"Five minutes. It took her just five minutes to do all of this to us?"

His FACE!  All the emotion, all the feels.

Last edited by Tilly11 (January 19, 2017 11:30 pm)

January 20, 2017 1:43 am  #13

Naavy wrote:

"I wrote my own version of the Nativity when I was a child. "The Hungry Donkey". It was a bit gory, but if you're going to put a baby in a manger, you're asking for trouble."

I would like to know, who's idea was "The Hungry Donkey". Very much!

My friend and I couldn't stop laughing at that line!

Basically everything Moriarty said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 20, 2017 4:06 am  #14

From the voice-over in the end, "I know what you could become."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2017 6:39 am  #15

Two good men.

January 20, 2017 12:23 pm  #16

besleybean wrote:

Two good men.

Why do they need to be without Mary to become good men? O.o

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2017 1:07 pm  #17

Loved the exchange between John and Mycroft that I put into my signature.

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Perfect summary

Also loved Mrs. Hudson:

"Do you want tea?"
"Thank you."
"The kettle's over there."

In combination with John's and Sherlock's smile - priceless

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 20, 2017 1:14 pm  #18

One that I think is being overlooked.

Mycroft is trying to convince Sherlock he has to shoot John, while John looks on.
Mycroft says something to the effect of Soldiers give their lives for their country, you're going to get to do that.
John's response is "shit, he's right."    I wanted to laugh and cry.  John, our amazing soldier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2017 1:40 pm  #19

tonnaree wrote:

One that I think is being overlooked.

Mycroft is trying to convince Sherlock he has to shoot John, while John looks on.
Mycroft says something to the effect of Soldiers give their lives for their country, you're going to get to do that.
John's response is "shit, he's right."    I wanted to laugh and cry.  John, our amazing soldier.

Oh yes! And then in the same scene when Mycroft said "I suppose there is a heart somewhere inside me. I don't imagine it's much of a target, but why don't we try for that?"
There is so much more meaning in the word heart there than just the organ. Even the iceman has a heart, we always knew but it became so apparent in this episode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 20, 2017 1:41 pm  #20

One of my favourite lines is "He did his best". I thought it was sweet that for once, Sherlock stood up for his brother. Maybe he finally realised that they were on the same side... (Mycroft in ASIP: "Did it never occur to you that you and I belong on the same side?")

​I also love Mycroft's "That's why I've always despised you": it must cost him to say this, when you know he's basically spent his whole life looking after Sherlock, worrying about him... There's Nothing he wouldn't do for Sherlock, not even dying.

​Well, I could quote the whole scene actually (i really like his "You said you liked my Lady Bracknell" like it was of some importance at such a moment) but I'll finish with his lovely:

​"I suppose there is a heart somewhere inside me. I don't imagine it's much of a target but why don't we try for that?"

​This line really broke my heart...

Just like old times...

Board footera