BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2017 7:15 am  #61

Re: Not a fan of this episode

Nope, not for me (and apparently also for many others). The solution is either a cheap trope I would expect to see in soap operas - a secret sibling turns up near the end of the show, and the existence of this character is supposed to explain all that's happened to our heroe before and how he became the man he is - or if I take the story seriously it merely replaces old questions with new ones, because I am now wondering what happened that made Euros the way she is. Either way the last episode leaves me dissatisfied.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 18, 2017 7:17 am  #62

Well how does anybody grow up to be a demented psychopath?
If you're wanting a full medical answer, I am unqualified.
But there is a psychopathic gene, they have identified.
Not all people who carry it turn out to be crazy murderers...but some do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 3:34 pm  #63

January 19, 2017 5:11 am  #64

January 19, 2017 6:48 am  #65

I decided not to even click!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 7:24 am  #66

Well... it's dailyfail... though I'm also not convienced of that episode I prefer my own point of view. It's not that harsh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 19, 2017 7:24 am  #67

besleybean wrote:

Good decision! Reading that article certainly ruined my morning 
I mean, I do understand, that there are some things in TFP that are questionable but this review put the episode completely to pieces without mentioning anything positiv.
Sorry, I know this is not the thread to convince anybody into liking TFP and that isn't my intention, I'm just wondering how this episode can be so divergently perceived 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 19, 2017 7:36 am  #68

besleybean wrote:

I stopped reading at: "Suddenly, there was a man standing on their cabin roof. 'I'm Sherlock Holmes the pirate,' he cried and pointed a gun at them. How he got there, nobody even attempted to decipher."
That's just bad research and shows that the author wasn't paying attention and was just too lazy to use his own brain. It was clearly explained even before we saw Sherlock on the fisherboat that he had gotten there by helicopter (and we've seen in TLD that Mycroft has helicopters at his disposal: "Big brother is watching you"). I realize there are things you can criticize about this episode, but I can't take a review seriously that was written by someone who doesn't even get the things that were clearly explained in the episode.

Last edited by Kae Em (January 19, 2017 7:37 am)

January 19, 2017 7:40 am  #69

The Daily Mail always seems to be quite anti the BBC.  This might be a genuine opinion by the writer (I can see why people might not like TFP), but it's worth bearing that in mind. 

January 19, 2017 8:01 am  #70

Somewhere I read that the journalist who wrote that article had been excluded from a press screening or event. Might have been the screening of TST. I definitely remember that a DM writer was not invited to a S4 press event which might explain the bias and the disregard even for things that are explained in the episode. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 19, 2017 8:53 am  #71

I am not a great fan o TFP myself, but this article and some others I read are not critical opinion, but pure venom. I have to laugh seeing all the outrage about plot holes, lack of logic etc. the highly praised Scandal in Belgravia makes no sense whatsoever if you look close at it and it is universally believed to be a masterpiece, brought up by the critics to show "how good" once the show was.

January 19, 2017 7:51 pm  #72

I enjoyed both the episode and the season. I just recently remembered one thing I am not OK with. I didn't like the fact that Sherlock, the Great Sherlock Holmes, pointed a gun at his brother Mycroft. And was seriously dwelling on the idea of killing his brotherfor several seconds. I was a bit uncomfortable or even disgusted by that. I would feel much better if that had never happened. I would have much more respect for Sherlock as character if he had pointed a gun at himself and started the countdown without the previus semi readiness to shoot his own brother. This fly in the ointment took something from the Sherlock character for me.

Last edited by Bankomas (January 19, 2017 7:55 pm)

January 19, 2017 7:55 pm  #73

I don't know if he really was willing to do it, well, as we know- he wasn't.

January 19, 2017 7:56 pm  #74

besleybean wrote:

I don't know if he really was willing to do it, well, as we know- he wasn't.

I clearly remember him aiming. And remember his finger starting to pull the trigger before he changed his mind

January 19, 2017 7:57 pm  #75

I don't think he changed his mind...he just couldn't do it.

January 19, 2017 7:58 pm  #76

besleybean wrote:

I don't think he changed his mind...he just couldn't do it.

I am not even sure what's worse

January 19, 2017 8:01 pm  #77

But anyway, didn't Mycroft want him to do it?

January 19, 2017 8:05 pm  #78

For me it's a plus for Mycroft. Not Shelock.

January 19, 2017 8:09 pm  #79

Well for me it's bit like the pages I had to endure on this forum. bemoaning Mary murdering Sherlock...well, as it turned out, she didn't.
Personally I'm not interested in spending too much time discussing what could have happened.
At the end of the day. Mycroft is still alive.
That for me is all that matters.

January 19, 2017 8:28 pm  #80

I have to strongly disagee. For me the result is not the only thing that is impotant. Which seems to be obvious. In my view it also matters how it was achieved. Otherwise they could have just shown us the outcomes without the plotlines - at the end of the day sherlock is friends with John, they are living on Baker Street, Mycroft is alive, Mrs. Hudson is alive - this is all that matters. In my opinion everything that happend and how it happened is significant. If not than why bother at all. For me it undermines the character.

Last edited by Bankomas (January 19, 2017 8:30 pm)

Board footera