BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2017 1:00 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock to end because of Ben and Martin's 'frosty relationship'

nakahara wrote:

I think that Martin´s behaviour at the time of Hobbitt filming can be contributed to the fact that he split with Amanda Abbington during that time, which was certainly stressful - I don´t think this was caused by having "frosty" relationship with Benedict.

As I understood it, he split with Amanda in March/April 2016, which was after The Hobbit trilogy was finished.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 18, 2017 1:01 pm  #22

Nakahara wrote:

I think that Martin´s behaviour at the time of Hobbitt filming can be contributed to the fact that he split with Amanda Abbington during that time, which was certainly stressful - I don´t think this was caused by having "frosty" relationship with Benedict.

Do I understand it right? He already split with AA during the Hobbit filming?

Edit: Late again.

Last edited by gently69 (January 18, 2017 1:02 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 18, 2017 1:05 pm  #23

gently69 wrote:

Nakahara wrote:

Do I understand it right? He already split with AA during the Hobbit filming?

Edit: Late again.

Split does not occur overnight, there were probably some problems in the relationship during the last Hobbit movie promotion already, IMHO (sorry, if I had specified incorrectly in the above post).

Last edited by nakahara (January 18, 2017 1:06 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 18, 2017 1:07 pm  #24

Yeah, because they finished the Hobbit filming in 2012 already. And then that went for nearly 4 more years? Amazing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 18, 2017 1:13 pm  #25

gently69 wrote:

Yeah, because they finished the Hobbit filming in 2012 already. And then that went for nearly 4 more years? Amazing.

I was speaking about last Hobbitt movie (The battle of five armies) promotion. Which happened around 2014.
The only time Martin and Benedict looked a bit estranged was around the filming of The Abominable Bride, which came in 2015, so is it such a stretch?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 18, 2017 1:22 pm  #26

Right... the promotion... because I looked it up again. The last additional filming was in 2013. Sorry for being a nitpicker.

(Tony Hadley)

January 18, 2017 1:23 pm  #27

No problem. It´s only speculation anyway.

January 18, 2017 1:26 pm  #28

I would just like to point out that "annoyed" is almost Martin's natural state. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2017 5:32 pm  #29

I still didn't see Martin look annoyed...did I miss something?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 5:46 pm  #30

Meretricious wrote:

I finally found the clip I was talking about:

Again, I could be misinterpreting his body language, but at 0:35 when Benedict says "hello" in a silly voice, Martin rolls his eyes and looks away, might even have a little swear to himself. Or maybe he's just being his funny self.

I thought they both were very sweet!

Here's my favorite, Martin says "Benedict should go f himself" but he's clearly been provoked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjuDR6wHa0

And we know Martin swears all the time so we shouldn't take such things seriously.

On balance, there are innumerable interviews where they talk very appreciatively about each other.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 18, 2017 5:47 pm  #31

besleybean wrote:

Wow.
Well I certainly missed that Hobbit one.
The only thing I saw was them hugging affectionately when they met on set.

On The Hobbit trilogy, Benedict did the voices of Smaug the dragon and the Necromancer, Sauron.

January 18, 2017 5:51 pm  #32

I'm really laughing now, kgreen.
No, you misunderstood me.
I have seen all 3 Hobbit films several times and only watched them for Benedict!
No, I was referring to Martin apparently being annoyed with him in the clip when they met on the Hobbit set.

On the famous: Benedict can go and f- himself clip.  I think Martin is rightly annoyed with the interviewer and is being amusing.  I am certain Benedict would have laughed if he saw it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 5:58 pm  #33

besleybean wrote:

I'm really laughing now, kgreen.
No, you misunderstood me.
I have seen all 3 Hobbit films several times and only watched them for Benedict!
No, I was referring to Martin apparently being annoyed with him in the clip when they met on the Hobbit set.

On the famous: Benedict can go and f- himself clip.  I think Martin is rightly annoyed with the interviewer and is being amusing.  I am certain Benedict would have laughed if he saw it.

That's my interpretation too! But I think this is where the rumors can start!

bb,
do you remember I have already explained you The Hobbit a couple of weeks ago? For a person who's actually watched the trilogy, you make the wrong impression way to often! *falls over laughing*

-----

January 18, 2017 6:49 pm  #34

Er, the previous occasion was because I hadn't read the book.
This time was just a misunderstanding.
Though I do find it amusing that somebody could think a BC fan wouldn't know he was Smaug!

January 18, 2017 6:52 pm  #35

besleybean wrote:

Er, the previous occasion was because I hadn't read the book.
This time was just a misunderstanding.
Though I do find it amusing that somebody could think a BC fan wouldn't know he was Smaug!

I remember and I haven't been laughin at you, just at the situation you repeatedly find yourself in

-----

January 18, 2017 6:54 pm  #36

Welcome to my world!

January 18, 2017 8:02 pm  #37

Wow, I'm quite surprised by this. I never came across these videos... To be honest, I don't see anything wrong in Martin's reaction at The Hobbit shooting. I think he's talking and goes on with what he's saying, but doesn't seem pissed at Benedict's appearance.

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 18, 2017 11:31 pm  #38

I didn't see any hostility between them on that video, either.

BTW, here's a few more videos you all might like.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 18, 2017 11:36 pm)

March 3, 2017 8:46 pm  #39

I never had the impression that Matin was seriously annoyed at Benedict on the Hobbit set, he was just being his ironic/sarcastic self. To quote Mark Gatiss: "Martin Freeman is a very angry man, which is kind of part of his charm. He's so angry he always makes me laugh because of it. But he's got a really brilliant sort of dry sense of humour." At least from what I've seen in interviews with Martin, I couldn't agree more with Mark.

March 3, 2017 8:48 pm  #40

Yes, I just think Martin is very honest and takes no prisoners...I like that.
Having said that, I've wondered in recent interview if I've noticed a  softening of attitude.

Board footera