BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 9:45 pm  #21

Re: Things we loved about TFP!

Mycroft's sword+gun umbrella reveal (I was at the BFI preview screening and everyone literally erupted into cheers when that happened.)

Mycroft's character development throughout the episode, including his willingness to sacrifice his life to save John and/ or make the choice easier for Sherlock.

Sherlock to Mycroft "Do shut up dear" 

Moriarty - "I want to break free" and The Hungry Donkey.

Sherlock asking Greg to look after his brother.

Greg's line at the end "He's a good one!"

The violin duet at the end was beautiful music.

Last edited by TheOtherOne (January 17, 2017 9:46 pm)

January 17, 2017 9:47 pm  #22

I love this whole list!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2017 10:19 pm  #23

Great idea!  There were many things I did love in TFP.
Mycroft was outstanding throughout

Loved:  Mycroft's umbrella sword
             Sherlock telling M that John stays because he's family
             Mycroft telling Moriarty that he is Christmas present and Moriarty saying something like "Where do you want me?"
            Sherlock breaking down after the phone call with Molly and John telling him to keep it together and helping him up
           A glimpse of Sherlock holding Rosie
          Sherlock finally remembering Greg's name (my favorite running joke in the series!)
         Pretty much all of the psychological torture scenes in Sherrinford--those kinds of moral dilemmas always fascinate me and the interplay between Sherlock, John, Mycroft and Eurus was riveting.

"Is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" 
"That's his name!"
"Is it?"

January 17, 2017 10:48 pm  #24

I still need a rewatch, but I think I liked the episode, in general. As time passes I find myself more comfortable with what happened, despite the plot holes, as many of you pointed out.

What I loved the most:

- Mycroft's cinema room and the way he says the well-known lines of the film. Then his sweet face when he sees the video where Sherlock hugs him.
- Mycroft's umbrella-sword-gun.
- Sherlock saying John was family and John's smirk.
- The memories Mycroft and Sherlock have about their childhood, with the kids interacting.
- Pirate Sherlock and captain Mycroft in disguise (I remembered the Minions when I saw his clothes, I don't know why).
- "Vatican cameos"
- I want to break free! Andrew raising his arm was so Freddie-like I wanted to scream of pure joy.
- Mycroft's reactions to Big G's death.
- Sherlock's breakdown after calling Molly.
- Soldier John and soldier-like Sherlock.
- Mycroft's nearly self-sacrifice to avoid Sherlock losing another best friend.
- Sherlock realising Redbeard wasn't a dog and looking desperately for John's salvation.
- "Greg" / "He's a good man".
- 221B being rebuilt.
- Sherlock being so nice to Rosie and helping John raise her.

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 17, 2017 10:54 pm  #25

Seriously, how long can a list be? This might take ages to write down. And I'm going to be repeating stuff that was written before. But here I go:

1. The whole scene with Mycroft and the film noir/familymovie. So human and sad at the same time.
2. Mycroft's umbrella turning into a sword turning into a pistol.
3. Mycroft being scared. 
4. John: "[Eurus] Shot me during a session." Sherlock: "Only with a tranqulizer." John: "We still had ten minutes to go." Sherlock: "Well, we'll see about a refund." And then John's small, amused smile. 
5. Mycroft: "Dr. Watson, why did he do that to me, that was insane!" So honest for once, with his iceman bravado gone and really not understanding how his brother could torture him like this. 
6. John: "There's a place for the desparate, the terrified, the ones with nowhere else to run." Mycroft: "Which place?" John: "221B Baker Street. See you in the morning. If there's a queue, join it." 
7. John: "You might wanna close that window. There's an east wind coming."
8. Mrs. Hudson: "Would you like a cup of tea?" Mycroft: "Thank you." Mrs. Hudson: "The kettle is over there!" And again, John's smile after that. 
9. The whole Mycroft as a client scene. Including of course: "This is a private matter." "John stays" "This is family" "That's why he stays!" And, for the third time, that little smile on John's face. 
11. Mrs. Hudson vacuum cleaning to heavy metal music. 
12. The brotherly love exchanged in the whole granade scene. "You were great as Lady Bracknell." "You really think so?" "Yes, I really do." "Well, that's good to know, I've always wondered." Im' trying not to mention John's smile during this exchange. It seems to become a pattern. 
13. Mycroft dressed up as a fisherman.
14. Sherlock first meeting his sister ever since she's been taken away. Including the missing glass. 
15. "Vatican cameos."
16. Moriarty's subway/train references (I don't know why "mind the gap" never fails to make me laugh, no matter where and when I hear it.)
17. The Hungry Donkey Nativity. "If you put a baby in a manger, you're asking for trouble." I have to agree with Martin on that: Moriarty IS entertaining, indeed.
18. Sherlock to Mycroft: "Do shut up, dear." 
19. Sherlock talking so nice, softly, calming and caring to the little girl in the plane. 
20. Neither Mycroft nor John being able to shoot the director. And of course Mycroft's distress throughout the whole scene (I mean I loved to see his human side, I didn't love that he was being tortured - or vivisected, as Sherlock would say). 
21. John: "Today we'll have to be soldiers, Mycroft. And that means to hell with what happens to us." And the constant reminders that followed this statement, Sherlock and John being the perfect team and knowing exactly how to keep each other from falling apart and how to go on.
22. The whole Molly scene. Yes, it was torture for poor Molly, but I loved to see how much Sherlock actually cares for her (even if not in a romantic way) and how much it grieved him to cause her pain. 
23. Sherlock ripping the coffin into pieces. And then again, John being there at exactly at the right moment to help him get up and go on. 
24. Mycroft sacrificing himself, trying to make the situation as easy as possible for Sherlock (but actually making it even harder). And "Well, I suppose there is a heart somewhere inside me. I don't imagine it's much of a target, but why don't we try for that?" And all of that while arranging his shirt and tie to look perfect before being shot. That scene just had me screaming at the TV screen (poor neighbours, I owe them an apology). 
25. "Try as well as possible not to drown." (although the subtitles actually say "try as long as possible not to drown." I understand "well" instead of "long", but I might be wrong). 
26. Sherlock finding out about Redbeard/Victor and that whole montage skipping between grown up and child Sherlock, both crying. 
27. Sherlock asking Greg about Mycroft. And: "Make sure he's looked after. He's not as strong as he thinks he is." Sherlock for once making sure Mycroft is taken care of, not the other way round. 
28. Sherlock getting Greg's name right. 
29. "He's a great man, sir." "No, he's better than that. He's a good one." 
30. Mum to Mycroft: "You should have done better!" Sherlock very tenderly: "He did his best!". Sherlock standing up for his brother against mum was great to see. 
31. Sherlock and Eurus finding a way to communicate in a unique way, probably the only way of feeling/expressing true emotion Eurus will ever be capable of. 
32. The whole rebuilding of 221B Baker Street.
33. Mum taking hold of Mycrofts hand, letting him know he's not alone. And his little smile when she does so. 
34. Mary telling John and Sherlock to be what they were always meant to be. The Baker Street Boys.

I could write more, but then I'd probably get to 100 . . . 

Last edited by Kae Em (January 17, 2017 11:28 pm)

January 17, 2017 10:59 pm  #26

I'm not even sure I can list up everything I loved about this episode, it would be just about every scene:

- Every scene/interation between Sherlock, John and Mycroft
- Mycroft watching old movies
- Mycroft fencing
- Everything Mycroft
- Sherlock and John's "soldier"-lines
- Eurus psychological games (not "loved" them per se, but I thought they were incredibly good - I was on the edge of my seat the whole time)
- Moriarty, especially his Freddie Mercury intro - nothing could have fitted him better!
- Rebuilding 221b
- Mrs Hudson listening to Iron Maiden!
- Sherlock finally being a pirate!
- And, of course: Parentlock 

Edit: And looking at the much more impressive list above me, I noticed I have forgotten loads - so I'll just point to that one instead. 

Last edited by Vhanja (January 17, 2017 11:00 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2017 11:23 pm  #27

NoSheetSherlock wrote:

-Sherlock attacking the 'I Love You' coffin after his Molly attack  (one of my all-time favorite scenes)

Oh God yes.

January 18, 2017 6:50 am  #28

Shows him as all heart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 7:48 am  #29

Yes, and how protective he is of his friends ... I feel strongly that he and Molly would be OK after that, that if anything he would care for her even more after her confession.   It was very moving.

January 18, 2017 8:09 am  #30

I liked most of the scenes that have been mentioned here (save for the scenes with Eurus, sorry I just don't find Sherlock's interaction with her in any way relatable).
We got so many lovely details like Mycroft watching a film in private, the sword stick umbrella, Sherlock the Pirate, Mrs Hudson is as awesome as always, and the scene between Sherlock and Molly and Sherlock's breakdown were some of the best scenes in the whole series.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 18, 2017 8:22 am  #31

I think you have named everything I loved about the episode - this is what you get for going to London and only come back after all has been said. 

Just some thoughts: 

- Sherlock is at his most wonderful in this episode. Human, compassionate, clever - he finally manages to coordinate heart and brain, something he has struggled with in the past. He extends his hand - or his bow - to the woman who has done so much evil because he knows that she has been a lonely child who "had no one". 
- His interactions with John - they worked brilliantly together, needing just a look to agree upon something, John helping Sherlock up from the floor after his outburst, not a single bad word between them. They gave us what we wanted - the boys working together again seamlessly, being there for each other, no violence, no guilt, re-building 221b (the heart of their relationship) together, being there with Rosie, surrounded by friends who love them. This is a lot. And it makes me happy. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 18, 2017 10:49 am  #32

SusiGo wrote:

They gave us what we wanted - the boys working together again seamlessly, being there for each other, no violence, no guilt, re-building 221b (the heart of their relationship) together, being there with Rosie, surrounded by friends who love them. This is a lot. And it makes me happy. 

THAT! And Mycroft! These two things were my favourite (and the violin duet).

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

January 18, 2017 12:51 pm  #33

Mycroft's face as he watches the film and it suddenly changes.  He is confused of course, but for a moment he also cannot help but smile at his family. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2017 5:19 pm  #34

So moving.

January 18, 2017 8:40 pm  #35

Little Sherlock hugging fat Mycroft in that family film is such a wonderful moment!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 18, 2017 8:41 pm  #36

It really is adorable.

January 18, 2017 9:12 pm  #37

Whatched TFP a second time today, and on second watch I love the episode even more  . I suppose TRF will always be my favourite Sherlock episode but TFP follows very close behind.

So my favourite parts, though they were all already mentioned I suppose, are...

- Mycroft's warm smile while watching the video from their childhood
- Mycroft's umbrella weapon (we knew it wasn't just an umbrella, didn't we?)
- "There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run." - "What place?" - "221B Baker Street"
- Mycroft as a client in Baker Street, especially the gestures, their facials expressions and silent communication between John and Sherlock
- "This is family." - "That's why he stays!"
- Mrs Hudson!!! (great taste in music  )
- Mycroft in disguise
- Moriarty ("I want to break free..."  ), I also liked the little video footages of him
- The Molly scene - so intense, so heartbreaking - and Sherlock's breakdown afterwards 
- Mycroft wanting to sacrifice himself and Sherlock's reaction ("not on my watch")
- the revelation about Redbeard - that was really a shock 
- Sherlock finally being able to reach Eurus - despite what she had done, the scene with her and Sherlock in Musgrave was so moving (as well as the following scenes with them playing the violin together)
- Sherlock finally knowing Greg's name
- Greg Lestrade claiming that Sherlock is a good man
- Arwel's cameo in 221B Baker Street 
- John repainting the smiley face and Sherlock shooting at it
- little Rosie and the Baker Street Boys 
- the last 5 minutes made me laugh and cry at the same time
- Sian Brooke was amazing - not only in TFP but in the whole series

Last edited by stoertebeker (January 18, 2017 9:16 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 18, 2017 10:30 pm  #38

A couple more:
The family portraits that looked like existing family members.
Mycroft as client!
"Which one's pain?"
Another faked death!  (I just thought this was vaguely amusing - seems there has to be at least one per series.  Mycroft faked Eurus' death).
"A prisoner of your own meat"
"Do shut up, dear"

January 18, 2017 11:03 pm  #39

stoertebeker wrote:

- Arwel's cameo in 221B Baker Street 

I missed this one, but I guess he was one of the two men sweeping up the debris?

January 18, 2017 11:18 pm  #40

Liberty wrote:

A couple more:
The family portraits that looked like existing family members.
Mycroft as client!
"Which one's pain?"
Another faked death!  (I just thought this was vaguely amusing - seems there has to be at least one per series.  Mycroft faked Eurus' death).
"A prisoner of your own meat"
"Do shut up, dear"

And Mycroft faked his serious injury and possible death, at least that's what Sir Edwin told the Governor, not sure if he believed this or was in on it with Mycroft though.

I loved "do shut up dear" too!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

Board footera