BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 5:12 am  #1

Movie and clown

Does anyone know what movie Mycroft was watching at the beginning? It was obviously a favorite of his because he was saying the lines along with the actors? Also, I thought it was horribly ironic that Mycroft could shoot at the clown, which he feared, but declined to shoot the doctor.

January 16, 2017 6:04 am  #2

Re: Movie and clown

I think maybe because the clown was more threatening and even so more in-human? Like a monster.

January 16, 2017 6:47 am  #3

The movie was one of the things I really liked about the episode. Of course he's be into noir film and femme fatales.

Last edited by ginger_1 (January 16, 2017 6:48 am)

January 16, 2017 7:15 am  #4

I don't know the film, no. But I loved seeing Mycroft that way. It's sweet that he was that into film noir.

The clown freaked me out! (But then I have a genuine phobia)... maybe the reason Mycroft didn't fight was that he was too freaked out to know how to react?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 16, 2017 9:51 am  #5

I didn't recognise the film - it looked to me like a more recent film, filmed in the style of a '40s/50s noir.  I loved that Mycroft knew all the lines!  I kept wanting to give Mycroft a hug all the way through this episode (although I know he wouldn't want one).  Would have loved a brotherly hug at the end, but Mummy holding his hand made up for it!  

January 16, 2017 2:54 pm  #6

Kiara_Katsura wrote:

I think maybe because the clown was more threatening and even so more in-human? Like a monster.

Great observation!

January 16, 2017 3:32 pm  #7

A believe, the clown is from "It" short series. 

Edit: there is already one topic, concerning your question too

Last edited by Naavy (January 16, 2017 3:40 pm)

January 16, 2017 3:39 pm  #8

Naavy wrote:

A believe, the clown is from "It" short series. 

there's a thread here called horror movie references that totally agrees with you.

January 16, 2017 5:16 pm  #9

Surely nobody likes clowns?
My entire cinema audience audibly gasped.
Freaky as hell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2017 6:41 pm  #10

I used to like Charlie Cairoli when I was a kid!

January 16, 2017 6:54 pm  #11

I've hated them all my life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2017 7:27 pm  #12

I never understood the hatred of clowns. It's just people in makeup. What I hate are mascots. You don't know who is in the costume and they try and touch you with out permission. It could be a friendly young female or some old man trying to touch you. You can tell a persons motive by their eyes and you can't see mascots eyes, clowns you can.

Last edited by ginger_1 (January 16, 2017 7:27 pm)

March 1, 2021 5:03 pm  #13

Wow! Found an interesting thread about mascots vs clowns ;) I totally hate both of them! And I didn't watch Mycroft and I can't even find it

March 6, 2021 7:13 pm  #14

I'm with you about clowns! I literally can't stand them. I won't say I am afraid because I know it's just people with makeup. I have a story about clowns too. I remember when I was about 5 years old my mom and I went to the circus. And when the clowns came up to the stage they asked a few kids to come over and do some tricks together as a part of the entertainment. One of the clowns just pulled my hand and I'd got to the stage and everyone was staring at me and the clown was making some stupid tricks. I felt awful! Completely lost, wasn't sure what the hell was going on and why everyone was laughing. I guess this was too traumatizing and now I have a fear of public speaking. Oh, and about the movie, try to find it on this website 123movie.show. I usually find cool movies here and it's free of charge.

Last edited by WandsKingers (March 16, 2021 10:19 am)

March 9, 2021 9:34 pm  #15

I think I remember that the movie was fictional. Don't remember where from though.
Couldn't find any movie with Velma and Leonard as protagonists, so it might be true.

Board footera