BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2017 10:59 pm  #41

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

Whisky wrote:

@SolarSystem: I am actually relieved to hear this. I thought I'd be alone with this feeling.

At points I felt so disappointed it hurt. I loved the second episode, and I was hoping so much for the final, and after ten minutes into the episode, I realised: this is not it. That felt quite bitter.

Again, same here. I don't really like T6T, but TLD was brilliant, for me the best episode since TRF. But today was just... not convincing. It even felt a bit boring to me at times, especially the whole playing games part at Sherrinford. Moriarty... I have always loved him, but today he was really getting on my nerves. And the game Eurus played with the boys... well, not exactly new, I have seen stuff like that in so many movies.
It just didn't feel like the show I fell in love with anymore. TLD actually did, but TFP... I don't know what to make of this, quite frankly.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 15, 2017 11:02 pm  #42

As a horror fan, I will defend this... 

Horror films are often very predictable to me, and the psychological ones can often get pretty boring because they all follow a certain mold that is difficult to trail away from... that's why within the first moments you can usually go "He'll die... she will too... and he's probably the killer. He will survive"

Here, I couldn't. And that's why it worked... 

I'm sure it was 'Sherlock'... but it was a good horror! And I enjoyed it! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2017 11:02 pm  #43

WhoIWantToBe wrote:

We basically just watched Shutter Island. Just.... NO. 

They swerved quite far off from the detective story, that´s true. Probably because Mark Gatiss is the horror buff, I guess.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 15, 2017 11:04 pm  #44

I agree  

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2017 11:05 pm  #45

I loved the line "a prisoner of your own meat". 

I love that Uncle Rudi got a mention!

The music was fantastic, for instance in the shooting Mycroft scene. 

Mummy Holmes holding Mycroft's hand (aww!).

Them bounding out of "Rathbone Place" at the end.

January 15, 2017 11:05 pm  #46

I just got to see this scene! Soooo cute! I do hope we get to see more in the future. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2017 11:05 pm  #47

He played a small piece of Irene's music and her name is never even mentioned.  Why are we talking about IRENE!!!

The scenes of them putting 221b back together made me cry.  They put the smiley back on the wall!!!!!!!

I had a few dissapointments but they are nothing I can't live with.  Over all, after a lot of the drama on tumblr, I expected so much worse.

In the end it will always be about the two of them.  John and Sherlock in 221b.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 15, 2017 11:07 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2017 11:06 pm  #48

Best ending ever! Paul Weller playing a dead viking on Sherlocks carpet.  

January 15, 2017 11:07 pm  #49

My hands are still shaking as I'm typing those words and my brain doesn't think properly anymore.

​Errr... Was that Tom Hiddleston after the credits? Even if it sounded very final, all hopes are not lost, then? Please tell I haven't imagined things!!!

​First thing that crosses my mind right now is that I am in Mycroft's Heaven! He's always been my favourite character and he was wonderful in that episode! I could write a whole essay! But not right now! When he started provoking Sherlock and saying all those bads things about John, I was sure he was only doing that to make Sherlock shoot him. That was so terribly touching! Of course, you have a heart underneath all that, Mycroft!

And he showed it more than once! (he was disgusted by all those killings. When he's not supposed to do sentiments!)

​And Sherlock who'd rather kill himself than kill his brother...

​That episode was brotherly love at its best! I LOVED ALL OF IT!!! And I love Mycroft even more than I've ever had!!!

​(I felt bad when Mummy Holmes was --understandably-- mad at Mycroft, but at the end, I think I saw her put her hand on his lap??? )

​The whole episode was intense, my heart has been beating way too fast for the last couple of hours.

The end was really well done. Of course, being a Johnlocker, I wouldn't have minded a kiss, but come to think of it, I think the end is perfect as it is. Just like in the Private life of SH. You can interpret it the way you want.

​Of course, I see Johnlock/Parentlock. John moves back to Baker street and they raise Rosie together. I can't see that as a platonic friendship.

​But those who want to see it as a profound friendship can interpret it that way.

​The text Sherlock sends at the end could refer to Irene Adler for those who like to ship him with her.

​There was a light hint of Mystrade for whose who wanted to see it too.

​The only ones who are left out are the Sherlolly shippers. Yes, they said I love you to each other, but that was really painful to watch and even if I have never been particularly attached to Molly (I really like her character, don't get me wrong, I just don't care very much about her) I felt really bad for her, seeing her so depressed and having Sherlock say I love you to her when she knows it's not true will only make things worse. Poor thing.

​Sian Brooke is a really good actress but her character did annoy me more than once.

​I was afraid they were bringing Moriarty back from the dead and felt relieved when I realised it was a scene that had happened five years ago. It was good seeing him on screen again, though it got on my nerves at times.

​I loved the canon references.

​Well, that's all I am able to say right now because my thoughts are a real mess.

​All in all, I really enjoyed that episode. Maybe not as good as The Lying Detective, but still one of the best épisodes I think.

​Of course, I have a few nitpicks (maybe a lot, once I will have been given enough time to think about them), of course there are still so many questions left unanswered and that is really frustrating, of course I would have loved to see more Johnlock because there is never enough of this  (but Mycroft's brotherly love, which I love even more than Johnlock, really counterbalances this!)​...

​But you know what?

​If this is the end, then I am not bitter. I'm only grateful to all those people who worked on that show and brought so many good things into my life without even being aware of it...

Just like old times...

January 15, 2017 11:07 pm  #50

I'm the kind of person who, when I first really fall in love with something and become a huge fan of it, I am very loyal. I don't have too many preconceived notions of where I want the show/series/books to go, because I know that the chance of the writers happen to write what I have in my head is extremly slim (that's what I have fanfics for!)

So instead, I am on board with their ride, wherever that takes me. No, it's not what I expected. But that was awesome too - seeing them in a situation I never, ever thought I would see.

Yes, it would've been great if there were more breathing room and more of the "old days". But if I that is what I want to see, I can go back and rewatch S1 and s2.

I think this is what keeps Ben and Martin coming back - the fact that it's NOT the same. If the seasons kept being "case of the week" and banter at 221b over and over, they would probably both grow tired and leave the show. 

This is Moftiss' vision. It's not ACD canon. I don't need that - I have ACD books for that. It's not ACD canon on screen - I have Brett for that. This is a thing of it's own, and I love it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2017 11:08 pm  #51

When they played "I want to break free" by Queen I though "oh wow now they've lost it." but it was nice to see Andrew.

Although I like to see a series 5 in some years when Rosie is a 5 or so, I wonder about the influence Sherlock will have on her. Hopefully she'll be a little smartass.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2017 11:08 pm  #52

SolarSystem wrote:

Whisky wrote:

@SolarSystem: I am actually relieved to hear this. I thought I'd be alone with this feeling.

At points I felt so disappointed it hurt. I loved the second episode, and I was hoping so much for the final, and after ten minutes into the episode, I realised: this is not it. That felt quite bitter.

Again, same here. I don't really like T6T, but TLD was brilliant, for me the best episode since TRF. But today was just... not convincing. It even felt a bit boring to me at times, especially the whole playing games part at Sherrinford. Moriarty... I have always loved him, but today he was really getting on my nerves. And the game Eurus played with the boys... well, not exactly new, I have seen stuff like that in so many movies.
It just didn't feel like the show I fell in love with anymore. TLD actually did, but TFP... I don't know what to make of this, quite frankly.

Well, I will confess I chatted with friends while watching. While watching for the first time! I have never done this before during a Sherlock episode, and it was simply because I was bored. There were scenes that caught my attention, but my problem was: I don't like horror. Also, I like diversity in locations, and being stuck in that place for the most part of the episode wasn't really my cup of tea. Then, it all felt surreal, too much, and predictable. I enjoyed the nods to canon. Ah, and I liked seeing Molly. I didn't understand where the episode took off. So, what about John, Eurus, the gun? And Sherlock's reaction to having a sister? Didn't convince me at all. I don't know. I'm sad.

"It is what it is."

January 15, 2017 11:08 pm  #53

Liberty wrote:

You noticed there was music in that?
I was so caught in that psychological torture, I didn´t hear anything.... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 15, 2017 11:09 pm  #54

It is a show, but Sherrinford...... perfectly sane person would desire to kill after being locked at something like that for years. And even quite normal child grow into a monster.

January 15, 2017 11:12 pm  #55

Hi everyone. I don't post too much these days - sorry for that - I didn't know whether to share my thoughts or not, but because I so loved the show I want to just say what I feel somewhere before I draw a line under it.
I didn't like season 4 at all - in fact it's left me feeling like I don't really have the energy to fully explain why.
And this finale. For me it was messy, ridiculous, full of holes - I feel like I have to make it up to myself somehow by reading the ACD stories again so that I can erase all this from my mind.
Mofftiss are clever - we know that. But I find myself wishing they'd called this show something else; I wish they'd made their own characters and given them different names in the way that the creators of House did.
I'm too tired to articulate properly so I'll just finish by saying that this felt like the end, but even if they did more, I'm out now.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 15, 2017 11:13 pm  #56

tonnaree wrote:

He played a small piece of Irene's music and her name is never even mentioned.  Why are we talking about IRENE!!!

The scenes of them putting 221b back together made me cry.  They put the smiley back on the wall!!!!!!!

I had a few dissapointments but they are nothing I can't live with.  Over all, after a lot of the drama on tumblr, I expected so much worse.

In the end it will always be about the two of them.  John and Sherlock in 221b.

Irene - for me it was because of what Eurus said - about you don't understand Bach - "play you".  And apparently you/Sherlock is romantic yearning.   And I'm glad that's just as far as it went.   But I like the idea of Sherlock having those romantic feelings and secretly seeing them as what he is. 

There were a couple of things I wasn't wild about either, but I still loved it!  We always did want to see them back together at 221B!

January 15, 2017 11:14 pm  #57

Ivy wrote:

When they played "I want to break free" by Queen I though "oh wow now they've lost it." but it was nice to see Andrew.

I LOVED it! Moriarty has always been over the top, it couldn't have fitted any better!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2017 11:14 pm  #58

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

You noticed there was music in that?
I was so caught in that psychological torture, I didn´t hear anything.... 

The music felt part of it for me.  In the Molly scene too.  Have we talked about that - poor Molly!  But afterwards, Sherlock would get the chance to explain.  And in the end, it was her choice to tell him that it was true - brave girl.

January 15, 2017 11:15 pm  #59

ewige wrote:

So John still has his ring what, one, one and a half years later?

​I think it is usual for widowers to keep their ring. Unless they meet someone new, and still...

​I've been a widow for four years and a half and I still wear my ring (i haven't rebuilt my life so far), I would feel like I'd betray my late husband if i took it off... I don't want to, anyway.

Just like old times...

January 15, 2017 11:17 pm  #60

My connection died on me in the middle of the Molly scene, I didn't get to see how that panned out. Can't wait to see it tomorrow in it's entirety!

But what on earth does Mofitss have against Molly? Poor thing this season!

Team Hudders!

Board footera