BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2017 10:49 pm  #21

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

SolarSystem wrote:

Whisky wrote:

Carefully asking... is there anyone like me who didn't like it much? Because... I didn't.

Same here. It didn't convince me on various levels. And to start at the end: Having Mary speak what seem to be the final words (at least for now) is just a huge NOPE for me.

I hated it. I don't care about ruining anyone's buzz, yeah it was a hell of a ride but disregarded pretty much ALL plot development up to the final scene. That was some of the most disappointing production and wiriting I have seen out of BBC, EVER. Having Mary as narrator at the end all of a sudden, and possibly the final voice of the whole show, ever? When she was a barely mentioned, minor character in the books? And don't get me started on hte blatant abuse of Molly's character they metaphorically fridged her. 

The children were the best part of the whole show. 

What a watse of brilliant talent, those actors gave everything to their parts. I'd be shocked if they came back to the show. 

January 15, 2017 10:50 pm  #22

Whisky wrote:

Carefully asking... is there anyone like me who didn't like it much? Because... I didn't.

Same here. It just didn't feel right at all and I'm very disappointed about many things. I just don't want to be this sister they suddenly brought up to be behind it all because it makes everything that happened in the genius first two seasons pointless for me and I hate that. It's a bit like in 'Spectre', where someone suddenly popped up to say: 'Hey, know what, all that happened to you recently: It was all me' without any sign that it might be so.
It all seemed very forced and very non-sherlock, I may have to watch it all again, but my first feelings after it ended are anger and disappointment.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

January 15, 2017 10:51 pm  #23

@SolarSystem: I am actually relieved to hear this. I thought I'd be alone with this feeling.

At points I felt so disappointed it hurt. I loved the second episode, and I was hoping so much for the final, and after ten minutes into the episode, I realised: this is not it. That felt quite bitter.

"It is what it is."

January 15, 2017 10:51 pm  #24

This thread has more posts than the original, so probably easiest if we just move our posts over here (sorry, I can't merge the threads!).

I'd posted:
Wow!  I loved it!  And now I see what they mean about it feeling like the end of an era, and the story they've been telling all along.   Funnily enough, it was quite different to everything that has gone before and yet tied up the loose ends, and completed the story. 

January 15, 2017 10:52 pm  #25

I feel physically strained even; from the get go it was horror, my heart right in my throat... 

I know for sure I can't make coherent comments before seeing it again tomorrow evening... sitting down... calmly... with subtitles... 

I can say, I'm glad I managed to go spoiler free. When Sherlock put the gun on himself I panicked. I actually thought he'd do it... 

I was not sure of anything. Often when I watch a film after the first few minutes I'll have guessed the ending (sorry, that's me bragging about my intellect, huh) but this was really unpredictable... 

I had no idea (safe for this strangely fitting a dream I had some years back I couldn't get out of my head... but never mind that) but I just had no idea what would happen... it was as unpredictable as the mind of a mentally ill person. 

Okay, I'm back to incoherent screaming and I think I need the loo... and possibly my sleepy pills... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2017 10:52 pm  #26

I'm confused. Not confused as in I don't understand the episode but confused as it was weird and I'm not sure how I feel about it. 

There were some moments I liked but overall...

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 15, 2017 10:53 pm  #27

Parentlock!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2017 10:53 pm  #28

This was the most disturbing psychological horror I ever watched (not exactly the genre I enjoy).
But I am overjoyed that the main characters all survived. 
Also I loved the ambiguous and sweet ending.

The only thing that bothered me were ridiculous powers of Euros. They were so over the top they were more funny than scary, TBH.

But overall, an OK episode.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 15, 2017 10:53 pm  #29

Dumai wrote:

Why did they even bring up Irene Adler again?

I think she's kind of a symbol of his romantic feelings.  I thought it was rather sweet, that it was what came up when Eurus said "Play you".  Apparently Sherlock is all about romantic yearning. 

And did he have sex? 

January 15, 2017 10:54 pm  #30

Lis wrote:

I'm confused. Not confused as in I don't understand the episode but confused as it was weird and I'm not sure how I feel about it. 

There were some moments I liked but overall...

You are not alone with that... It feels very strange atm... Cant breathe

January 15, 2017 10:54 pm  #31

It was terrible - the writers usually score ***** out of 5
But this time I award them just *

January 15, 2017 10:54 pm  #32

But as a Mycroft fan I was happy about his screentime.

Sian Brooke was really great, but that role so annoying I was rolling my eyes a lot. 

Mystream broke several times, so I have to watch it again. But it won't be like after series 3 where I immediately preordered the DVD. 

I think my main criticism is that it didn't felt like my show anymore that I loved.

I have to give it time I guess.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2017 10:54 pm  #33

Ivy wrote:

There was even a time I had tears in my eyes because I thought "what have they done to that show"! and a part of me hoped it would be a mindpalace thing.

Ah, yes. Completely agree. I kept hoping for over 60 minutes till I slowly realized it's for real.

"It is what it is."

January 15, 2017 10:54 pm  #34

As I posted my topic it was the first one, sorry for the caused problem^^

January 15, 2017 10:56 pm  #35

Vhanja wrote:

Parentlock!!!

The best part of an episode! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 15, 2017 10:56 pm  #36

So John still has his ring what, one, one and a half years later?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 15, 2017 10:56 pm  #37

Vhanja wrote:

Parentlock!!!

My first thought, too. That were the screenshots I saw accidentally after the Russian leak.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2017 10:57 pm  #38

I think it has always been a kind of fantasy, and that was more apparent in this episode than any other. 

I loved Sherlock going to the effort of scaring Mycroft!  Also that his umbrella became a swordstick - I'm sure I remember Moftiss talking about wanting to do that - insane wish fulfilment!  And then it became a gun!   But it was the lengths that Sherlock would go to to annoy and scare his brother that amused me, although he had reason. 

January 15, 2017 10:57 pm  #39

We basically just watched Shutter Island. Just.... NO. 

January 15, 2017 10:57 pm  #40

Except from Mary's speech at the end (which I couldn't see bc my stream broke up) it was such an emotional rollercoaster. I love how Mycroft and Sherlock became more human about the time till now. Euros at the end and Parentlock were just so bottom keeping after that stress in Sherrinford, I really needed that break. The epilog was okay, I don't really like endings.

I totally loved and enjoyed it, but I think my neighbours didn't because I screamed and swored the whole time. Hihi.

-----------------------------------------
Just being a curl.

Board footera