BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2017 9:08 am  #61

Re: Could S4 be the last one?

Schmiezi wrote:

At the moment, I am sure that we will get a brilliant episode but not TV history. Maybe that is just me preparing to be realistic about it.

There is something else I can't get off my mind. Steve and Mark once said something about making their childhood dream about Sherlock Holmes come true this series. Does anybody remember that too? Do we have clues what that could be?

They talked about "insane wish fulfilment" - is that what you're thinking of?   I suppose that could be anything.  I feel they've done a bit of wish fulfilment already (the Bond references, etc.).  The other thing that stuck in my mind was them saying ages ago that their Sherlock was the one who hadn't yet become the kind of man portrayed by Basil Rathbone, and later I think they said that TFP would remind us of the Rathbone films.  It's difficult because insane wish fulfilment could be quite personal to them! 

The other thing I was thinking is that there has been a lot in the news about the big reveal of Eurus, and I wondered if that's what Amanda meant by "if they can pull it off" i.e. if they can make the audience see one person playing different characters and not notice.  If that's the case, I'll be disappointed (especially as we did notice!)!  But hopefully there's going to be a much bigger reveal in TFP. 

Last edited by Liberty (January 15, 2017 9:08 am)

January 15, 2017 9:12 am  #62

Well I didn't notice!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2017 9:21 am  #63

I noticed, but had no idea of the significance.  I was very puzzled!  So it was definitely a big reveal for me.  I'm thinking about how they really publicised Toby Jones playing Culverton Smith, but there hasn't been a mention of Sian, she wasn't at panels/interviews, etc.  I mean obviously she wasn't.  But they have quite carefully covered her up, and I wonder if the cover up is what they were trying to "pull off". 

January 15, 2017 10:16 am  #64

Possibly so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2017 10:19 am  #65

However ... only a few hours to go! I think I'm trying to lower my own expectations so that I'm not disappointed just in case we don't get something really major!  But I'm still holding out hope.  So far, I haven't been disappointed with the previous episodes - in fact they have exceeded my expectation is some ways! 

January 15, 2017 10:26 am  #66

I STILL remember at the end of ASIP, turning to my son and saying: that was brilliant, the best TV I've ever seen...can't wait for the next one.

January 15, 2017 10:31 am  #67

I still remember watching ASIP and thinking for the whole 90 minutes, "How on Earth can a man be so beautiful???"

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 15, 2017 10:33 am  #68

Oh there was that as well...I immediately went on line to try and find a Sherlock forum, but it took me a few months to do so.

January 15, 2017 12:03 pm  #69

I thought the same, but it really hit me in ASIB!  Something about him being an object of desire for Irene, maybe made him (even) more attractive.  I thought the "Sherlocked" scene was one of the sexiest things I'd seen on TV.  (I don't watch a lot of TV, though).   Anyway, I'm distracting myself ... I have been delighted so far.  I might have some minor quibbles about some things, but I was over the moon about the last two episodes.  I'm sure I'm going to love TFP - just trying not to get my expectations too high!   Now that we're thinking that it may be the last ever, there's an awful lot hanging on it. 

January 15, 2017 12:12 pm  #70

Liberty wrote:

I thought the same, but it really hit me in ASIB!  Something about him being an object of desire for Irene, maybe made him (even) more attractive.  I thought the "Sherlocked" scene was one of the sexiest things I'd seen on TV.  (I don't watch a lot of TV, though).  

Yes, this!
*dreamy sigh*
I had really enjoyed the show before but ASIB made me quite, uh, invested
It was the perfect bluff and a double bluff and some very good thinking and acting too. I'm a big fan of Steven's writing. He's the best.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 15, 2017 12:29 pm  #71

I know it was brilliant and Steven rightly won awards...but not an episode I watch on repeat much.
Lara was brilliant.
I know they were trying to update the original story, but it isn't how I would have portrayed Irene and let's face it, I just didn't want Sherlock to be attracted to her.

January 15, 2017 12:29 pm  #72

Yeah he is. Steven Moffat, this black-hearted genius. His writing is like a blunt blade right through your heart.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 15, 2017 12:33 pm  #73

Liberty wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

At the moment, I am sure that we will get a brilliant episode but not TV history. Maybe that is just me preparing to be realistic about it.

There is something else I can't get off my mind. Steve and Mark once said something about making their childhood dream about Sherlock Holmes come true this series. Does anybody remember that too? Do we have clues what that could be?

They talked about "insane wish fulfilment" - is that what you're thinking of?   I suppose that could be anything.  I feel they've done a bit of wish fulfilment already (the Bond references, etc.).  The other thing that stuck in my mind was them saying ages ago that their Sherlock was the one who hadn't yet become the kind of man portrayed by Basil Rathbone, and later I think they said that TFP would remind us of the Rathbone films.  It's difficult because insane wish fulfilment could be quite personal to them! 

The other thing I was thinking is that there has been a lot in the news about the big reveal of Eurus, and I wondered if that's what Amanda meant by "if they can pull it off" i.e. if they can make the audience see one person playing different characters and not notice.  If that's the case, I'll be disappointed (especially as we did notice!)!  But hopefully there's going to be a much bigger reveal in TFP. 

Insane wish fulfillment, yes. Thank you@

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 15, 2017 12:40 pm  #74

I'm just hoping I can hold together and enjoy the ride...I'm beginning to suspect I'll be blubbering all the way through!

January 15, 2017 2:04 pm  #75

I really feel like I will tear up already when the intro is rolling.
Gosh, only thinking about this now, makes me emotionally uncomfortable. :'(

Last edited by Rache (January 15, 2017 2:05 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 15, 2017 2:05 pm  #76

I had just seen TFP, and

I must say it feels like the real last one, not a TV history though. I liked the ending, but the fantasy film like setting throughout the episode. To me TLD is the best and true to the essence of the real show.

Edit by Liberty: I hope you don't mind, Janine, but I've put your review in spoiler tags.  It's not very spoilery, but I think anything being confirmed by somebody who has seen the episode kind of counts as a spoiler.  We're so close now!  Please do post again after the episode is aired - it would be great to discuss this further!

Last edited by Liberty (January 15, 2017 4:16 pm)

January 15, 2017 2:45 pm  #77

Really?

January 15, 2017 3:56 pm  #78

Again, you are really saying this, here and now?

January 15, 2017 3:58 pm  #79

Could we move this discussion to a spoiler thread or something? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2017 3:59 pm  #80

I think so too, Phantom...which was kind of the point I was trying to make and obviously failing!

Board footera