BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2017 8:28 am  #1

Parallels between Sherlock and CS

We are introduced to Sherlock who whips bodies with no respect for the dead whatsoever, is friends with the mortician, takes body parts home, has connections (in the government and at the Yard and even a royal employer at some point), becomes a celeb and gets off on running around crime scenes so much that he's expected to cause one himself.

Yes, Sherlock is mucking around with bodies "for science" which makes it more of a juxtaposition to CS than a parallel, but "it takes one to catch one"... Moriarty had such high hopes for Sherlock too...

So maybe whatever happened to/with Eurus all these years back was the starting point of Sherlock's humanization instead of being detrimental? He has all what's needed to become a serial killer but chooses the side of the angels - because Eurus made him care, no matter how hard Mycroft had been trying to breed it out of him?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 15, 2017 9:15 am  #2

Re: Parallels between Sherlock and CS

Well, I have been wondering if Sherlock will appear temporarily evil in TFP.  We'll see.  But I think he's very, very far from Culverton's character. I do see what you're saying, particularly about the lack of respect for the dead, but my feeling is that they took the idea of Sherlock whipping corpses directly from canon, and took Culverton Smith's implied necrophilia directly from Jimmy Savile, several years later, and any similiarity is just coincidence. 

But yes, your last point - we're going to find something about Sherlock's heart, aren't we?  And what made him the way he is now?

January 15, 2017 10:17 am  #3

You are right, they couldn't have known about CS all these years back!

I still hope that Eurus is a good, albeit terrifying force. That would be a twist...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 15, 2017 3:36 pm  #4

What a wonderful thread, and ideas! 

Sherlock temporarily evil would be the character, I am always happy to see
And parallels between Sherlock and CS are the great concept, because they help to find the differences. SH and CS can look really similar, when seen first time. However Sherlock never "liked make people into things", and this is IMO the biggest difference. He likes the riddles, but in his own life he would never hurt anybody for fun.

ewige wrote:

I still hope that Eurus is a good, albeit terrifying force. That would be a twist...

I think, everybody started to like Eurus, when she turned out to be so friendly towards Sherlock. He needs friends so much! 
But I'm afraid to hope to strongly. She was acting, and working then for CS (he gave her the note). Most likely she was setting the trap, and Sherlock was to become the CS's prey - what for else would she draw Sherlock's attention to CS?

Board footera